Be Aware!! Carnival is not honest!!

Coach D

I can see the OP's point.

The marketing ploy is to entice people to fill out a credit card application with the possibility of winning a FREE CRUISE.

I don't understand why it should matter to Carnival if this is a 3, 4, 7 or 14 day cruise.....I don't know why they can't/don't adjust the prize accordingly (win a 4 night cruise if you are currently on a 4 night cruise?)

As most people know....the FREE CRUISE would be of the lowest category (inside) cabin and the winner still has to pay taxes, port charges & 'non-commisionable' portion of the fare....so, what is this costing Carnival? not much at all....

I know the OP is not 'out' any $$$ by filling out a credit application...BUT, if approved, this credit card could affect their credit score....whether they use it or not...and even if they close the account, it could take months to get it removed from your credit score with no guarantee of your credit score being returned to it's previous status....

I think Carnival dropped the ball on this incident....:cool:

Point is still they told her/him there would be a raffle the last night of the cruise and there wasn't any! and to make things worse they didn't have the guts to come out and tell all the people who were waiting so!

If he/she has lost the raffle so it be.

Op is still waiting for the cc and said that it will be send back. I would have done the same, just for lying to me to get my business.

Very strange that you seem to be one of the only ones that actually "gets" it! I do too.

I would be so pissed! But you know "hey, it's CCL and it didn't happen to me so get over it!" Right? Thank goodness it had nothing to do with Platinum/Diamond VIFP perks!

Actually...if pursued legally...the OP would probably get their free cruise. I hope the OP wrote down names.

Ohhhhh... so sorry that you had such an awful experience on your very fisrt Carnival Cruise. We have been on 9 Cruises so far and are fully booked and ready for next April 21 2013 to get here....we are booked on the new Carnival Breeze....which by the way we did win on a Raffle ticket the last night at sea at 10 pm....we have never won anything and we have always gotten raffle tickets but no luck until now.....

but I do feel the way you do about the credit card and yes I would keep on writing letters until you feel like your point was addresed...again I am so sorry about this happing on your first Cruise with Carnival...

Very strange that you seem to be one of the only ones that actually "gets" it! I do too.

I would be so pissed! But you know "hey, it's CCL and it didn't happen to me so get over it!" Right? Thank goodness it had nothing to do with Platinum/Diamond VIFP perks!

Actually...if pursued legally...the OP would probably get their free cruise. I hope the OP wrote down names.

Yes, I'm not "Carnival" blind;)

While I would never personally apply for the Carnival or any other cruise line credit card I would also be ticked if the reason I burnt a credit app failed to materialize. Whether the rest of us agree that a raffle is "legitimate" enough reason to apply is irrelevant. The fact is to OP that was the deciding factor and Carnival DID tell him there was one. I think Carnival dropped the ball here.

As an aside I think you're much better off using a cash back card to accrue money to buy cruise tickets rather than these loyalty cards. Your spending goes much further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodness! I wonder what would have happened on the NCL that they are going back to? I can see it now.... Ma'am (or Sir) we made a mistake, so sorry. Good day!

Kinda the same that happened on Carnival. Not a big Carnival fan, do enjoy cruising and love their prices. I just can't believe no one at the desk said the same thing... just that was not what the OP wanted to hear, was looking for a reason to "hate" Carnival and found it. Have fun on NCL!

While I can understand your complaint, I have to add that if this is all it takes for you to not sail with a cruise line anymore...

dude, you are going to run out of cruise lines.

Just saying.....

Really not going to cruise Carnival again over a raffle! Isn't there more important things in life to worry about other than a raffle that you most likely wouldn't have won anyway.

Oh well one less person I have to worry about taking the balcony I want!

Personally I love my Carnival CC! We don't ever have to pay for tips! We use our points! When we signed up for the CC we didn't waste our time waiting for a raffle! We had more important things to do!

I think the poster ended up loving Carnival and feels bad since it looks like he is a NCL lover. So he needed something to complain about and the raffle was the only thing they could come up with.

Personally the miss spelled words bothered me more than the lack of paragraphs.

It is against CC policy to criticize others spelling errors! Perhaps you have reading issues! touché. JK...but really that is unkind and uncalled for!

I do understand what the OP is saying and they are correct, they were misled and perhaps are still in the initial stage of being mad about it, it happens!

Isn't there more important things in life to worry about other than a raffle that you most likely wouldn't have won anyway.

My feelings exactly. Of course I would not have applied for a card to enter a raffle, as I would never expect to win. I guess someone does though(except when they don't hold one! <g>)

I can certainly understand OP's feelings if the only reason he applied was the raffle. Someone certainly could have handled the whole thing better.

Kevin C

I totally agree based on the OP's side of the story Carnival dropped the ball. I am not sure what I would expect in that situation but an apology would have been a good start,

The point is not if she needs the credit card yes or no. The point is that they told her that there will be a drawing for a free cruise for all people who apply for a credit card..and there was none and they probably knew that before hand, so why lie to a customer just to get her business?

If it has happened to some of you, I can bet my life that you were here on CC complaining like she is doing right now!

If I were you I will send that credit card back and tell them to wipe their ... with it!

I agree with you. The reason CCL uses the free cruise drawing in the promotion of the card is that they know that will get people to stop, take their time, and give out their personal financial information to someone they don't know. Too bad there was some miscommunication. If a mistake was made, it wasn't made by the OP. The drawing should have been held as advertised.

Is it possible that Carnival got so few applications on the cruise for the card that they decided not to hold the drawing? This is what happens when you lose your trust in Carnival and their management. (Think loyalty program) You begin to doubt them in other areas.

that stinks. OP filled out the application for the sole purpose of qualifying for a free cruise raffle. Carnival and Barclay dropped the ball. what is the remedy? I dunno... maybe they should be entered in another free cruise raffle taking place on another trip or ship? a drink coupon? a free t-shirt? something small would be nice.

that stinks. OP filled out the application for the sole purpose of qualifying for a free cruise raffle. Carnival and Barclay dropped the ball. what is the remedy? I dunno... maybe they should be entered in another free cruise raffle taking place on another trip or ship? a drink coupon? a free t-shirt? something small would be nice.

Your idea of them being entered on another cruise raffle seems to be a solution.

Do you have to be there to win the raffle... it sucks for them, but I'm also not sure what exactly the OP is looking for?

For me I don't think this is defend Carnival thing.... I think some people that let stuff run off their backs more easily just get annoyed with those who freak out and are dramatic about everything. Thats JMO... so they didn't have the raffle... no matter what cruise line I was on I personally would have cut my losses and moved on, just happy I had a chance to accumulate points for free stuff on my next cruise, and got a free bag! Too much drama and broad statements...

As far as customer service, I highly doubt the OP would be happy with a Carnival t-shirt...

Really not going to cruise Carnival again over a raffle! Isn't there more important things in life to worry about other than a raffle that you most likely wouldn't have won anyway.

Oh well one less person I have to worry about taking the balcony I want!

Personally I love my Carnival CC! We don't ever have to pay for tips! We use our points! When we signed up for the CC we didn't waste our time waiting for a raffle! We had more important things to do!

I think the poster ended up loving Carnival and feels bad since it looks like he is a NCL lover. So he needed something to complain about and the raffle was the only thing they could come up with.

Personally the miss spelled words bothered me more than the lack of paragraphs.

I got the carnival CC on my last cruise. I use to use my GM card for everythink but retired now and may not buy anymore new cars. Can you let me no how it pays for your tips. Do you have to sign up for it or call them or what. I put a 1000 or so a month on it but don't no how it works. I pay it off each month and don't pay int. on it or anythink else. But if I can remember, seems like I had a good int. rate. My GM card had 23 % but I have never paid a dime on it. I have use about 5000 of my cash back for cars. That is what hope to do with the carnival card

I got the carnival CC on my last cruise. I use to use my GM card for everythink but retired now and may not buy anymore new cars. Can you let me no how it pays for your tips. Do you have to sign up for it or call them or what. I put a 1000 or so a month on it but don't no how it works. I pay it off each month and don't pay int. on it or anythink else. But if I can remember, seems like I had a good int. rate. My GM card had 23 % but I have never paid a dime on it. I have use about 5000 of my cash back for cars. That is what hope to do with the carnival card

You can redeem points for OBC, which then can be used to pay tips or anything else that is charged to your account.

Are you kidding? He was offered a raffle for a cruise, not a cruise. Significant difference.

Kevin C

I agree with the OP.. Its called false advertising and appears to be a marketing ploy to get you to apply for thier cc. also, i have to laugh at the nit picky people who sit on here and wear someone out about thier grammer or punctuation or whatever and then act like they are the most "who cares" person in this world. i dont do a whole lot of spell check or sentence run on checks when i have something to say on here. however, that doesnt mean i am not capable of responding with perferct whatever,, just means i dont care at this point to be perfect,. thanks

It was on the Glory and the free cruise was for 7 days. If you were promised obc then when you boarded were told it was a mistake it would be a big deal. Point is I was promised something if I applied for a cc and I did not get it. Would I cruise Carnival again yes. As i said before it was a great cruise. I just wanted to make people aware of this so they don't give personal info for a false promise.

I agree with you. The reason CCL uses the free cruise drawing in the promotion of the card is that they know that will get people to stop, take their time, and give out their personal financial information to someone they don't know. Too bad there was some miscommunication. If a mistake was made, it wasn't made by the OP. The drawing should have been held as advertised.

Is it possible that Carnival got so few applications on the cruise for the card that they decided not to hold the drawing? This is what happens when you lose your trust in Carnival and their management. (Think loyalty program) You begin to doubt them in other areas.

Exactly.

And I did read the opening post.

It was my choice.

It also sounds like the op was not only upset about being deceived, but also about the failure to handle the situation well.

Like I have often thought, if you are expecting anything but a ride on a boat then you may be disappointed in Carnival.

Good customer handling skills are almost nonexistent somehow.

The same customer can walk away from the same situation either satisfied or enraged and the difference is all in the details.

A customer service person who listens, seems sincerely interested and attempts to help makes all the difference.

And once you catch them in a lie, then that is that...

Do you have to be there to win the raffle... it sucks for them, but I'm also not sure what exactly the OP is looking for?

For me I don't think this is defend Carnival thing.... I think some people that let stuff run off their backs more easily just get annoyed with those who freak out and are dramatic about everything. Thats JMO... so they didn't have the raffle... no matter what cruise line I was on I personally would have cut my losses and moved on, just happy I had a chance to accumulate points for free stuff on my next cruise, and got a free bag! Too much drama and broad statements...

As far as customer service, I highly doubt the OP would be happy with a Carnival t-shirt...

The girl at the cc desk said you had to be present to win.

I work at the corporate office for a financial company. One day a week I cover the receptionist desk and transfer calls. The complaints that roll in are so simple. Most complaints are escalated to the corporate office when the field personnel refuse to apologize. For the life of me, I do not know why it is hard for people to do this. If you made a mistake, apologize. Maybe that is all the OP wanted. An acknowledgment that someone gave false information to him/her.

It's really simple. Mr/Ms______. We ACKNOWLEDGE that the employee did not give you accurate information. The free raffle drawings are held on 6+ night cruises. We have informed our employee of this policy. Customers are our number one priority and we hope you will cruise with Carnival again. This is the last day of your cruise and we don't want to end it on a sour note. How about a free bottle of champagne to enjoy in your cabin tonight?

Hear the complaint, acknowledge the complaint, resolve the complaint.

Ok, so I'm curious. When did Carnival, commit to this raffle? Isn't this the same "free cruise raffle" held the last night of many 7+ night cruises, but not held on 4 night cruises? I've got a few Capers and Fun Times from past 7 night cruises where the free cruise raffle was held, like 10PM the last night of the cruise. I can't be certain, but thought 4 night cruises, this raffle was not held?

So, a rep from probably Barclay's, who promotes the credit card, unintentionally or intentionally, (intentionally of course is assumed by most here, since it adds to the drama) says..sign up for card, get a free ticket for the free cruise raffle, that already was not being held on the cruise. It's at least conceivable that the cc person, overlooked that, maybe because most cruises that person promoted the CC on were 7 days were the raffle was held. So they give out a bunch of raffle tickets to a raffle not being held. Bunch of folks show up for the raffle, which does not happen.

Carnival of course was fully aware of this and let it happen anyway?

Archived