cruise payments

buthead2009

I book on the NCL website and make partial payments all the time, using my Capital One credit card, for which I get double points for booking travel. Then I use the points to get reimbursed for the payment. On our last cruise I saved $1,000 off the cruise by doing this.

[quote name='cruisin07family']Maybe I'm having a duh moment, but why would you want to pay off your cruise before the deadline?[/quote]

I usually pay in full just so I don't have to remember to make that payment later.

[quote name='cruisin07family']Maybe I'm having a duh moment, but why would you want to pay off your cruise before the deadline?[/quote]

Some people use this to allow them to afford cruises. Booking many months/years in advance gives them the chance to make payments over time...;)

[quote name='cruisin07family']Maybe I'm having a duh moment, but why would you want to pay off your cruise before the deadline?[/QUOTE]

it can be easier to send in a monthly payment then a big payment at one time

[quote name='cruisin07family']Maybe I'm having a duh moment, but why would you want to pay off your cruise before the deadline?[/QUOTE]

I always pay my cruise off way before final payment is due....it makes me feel better knowing that another payment isn't hanging over my head. My upcoming cruise in September......I paid in full at the time of booking....got tons of Delta FF miles on my AmEx which I then used to pay for a good portion of our airfare!:cool:

Why would you want to wait until the deadline? I like having mine paid for long before the trip. Then I move on and purchase airline tickets and hotels. That is what is great about NCL. We each do what makes us comfortable and what works for our family.

I have heard other cruise lines are not quite as flexible. You put your deposit down and they give you dates that you have to pay X amount on. NCL allows you to put your deposit down and pay as you wish as long as its paid for by the deadline. So if you wish to make a $200.00 payment or a $1000.00 payment you can.

Go and enjoy

[quote name='deladypilot']Why would you want to wait until the deadline? I like having mine paid for long before the trip. Then I move on and purchase airline tickets and hotels. That is what is great about NCL. We each do what makes us comfortable and what works for our family.

I have heard other cruise lines are not quite as flexible. You put your deposit down and they give you dates that you have to pay X amount on. NCL allows you to put your deposit down and pay as you wish as long as its paid for by the deadline. So if you wish to make a $200.00 payment or a $1000.00 payment you can.

Go and enjoy[/QUOTE]

Oh, I like that NCL is flexible and I guess I see where others are coming from with making payments.

I wait til it's nearly due for several reasons: 1) I may transfer my booking from ncl to an online agency; 2) The longer my money stays in my savings acct., the longer I'm getting interest rather than NCL; 3) If I do need to cancel, it isn't a hassle waiting to get a large amount of money back - I'm only waiting for my deposit back; 4) If I were going to charge my trip, then that is longer that I am paying interest on the cc.

I was not aware that other cruiselines have payment restrictions. We've only cruised NCL and Carnival and neither of those have restrictions other than 75 days out or whatever it is.

The interest that's now being paid in my savings account....laughable! The interest I get on my charge card is much less than the savings I'm getting with airfare using the frequent flyer miles earned. Now, if I didn't have a card that earned miles....I'd probably do things differently!;)

To answer the OP's question, yes, you may make payments on a cruise. Place the deposit to hold the reservation and your choice of cabin, at this time you are given a "Pay By" date to whittle down the entire cost of the trip.

Personally, I think the fact that you can make payments makes cruising very appealing, affordable and flexible for my wife and I. Our first cruise on the Epic we paid in full at the time of booking. That was a very large chunk of change to plunk down so far in advance (10 months prior to sailing). Now that we know we can make payments it enables us to take much larger (translation - expensive!) vacations. Our next cruise is a 14 day Panama Canal transit which is paid for. But we have two cruises booked that we are making payments towards for 2013 and 2014.

Making payments allows us to book more than one and keep it affordable...you know, until we buy airline tickets!

[quote name='shof515']if you booked with a TA, all payments MUST go through the TA. If you booked directly with the cruise line, then you can make a payment online or use the phone[/quote]

I made a payment, just because and I have a TA. Of course I had to go thru the TA, who immedately sent the payment to NCL>

I do the same pre-payment thing on all my cruises with one caveat.

I always leave some Minimum balance due until the last payment date.

Don't know if it is true with NCL, but on other lines I have found it easier to get price reductions credited up until the time you were paid in full.

I have left as little as $20 due.

Archived