Transatlantic October Star Clipper

pralientje

After being on the Royal for two weeks in the Caribbean in January 2002, followed by the Indian Ocean crossing the same year from Civitavechia to Phuket. The first trip was a wonderful sensation, we needed another one to recover from this one. We then decided to take on the crossing with the Star Flyer, not much to talk about. :( Very pleasant passengers, most Australian, ship was in awful condition. Have left that experience behind. Then we tried the Transatlantic with the Star Clipper. Perfect.:D Sailed most of the time, lots and lots of wind, wonderful crew, headed by captain Sergei, pleasant passengers, many repeaters, just perfect. We stayed on for another week in St. Maarten. Weatherwise not so good, most of the islands we had seen with our trip on the Royal. After staying on another three days on the island we flew back to Holland. It took me a couple of days to get adjusted. Being pampered for nearly six weeks! So now I am going (my husband is too busy) on my second crossing with the Star Clipper. Instead of Cannes I will board in Malaga and fly home the same day we arrive in Sint Maarten. I know that some passengers from last year will be there again. Are there any new ones? Please let me know. Regards, Pralientje

• 2 weeks later...

Our crossing took place in 2002 and since then things have improved a lot. The ship was in a bad state that time, but since then has been in dry dock. There was hardly any wind, so a lot of motoring and due to the barnacles the ship was very slow. Therefore we had only a very short visit to Goa, Cochin and we totally missed the Similan Islands. The biggest problem though was that they did not have any special food for my diet. At that time I was on a gluten free and lactose free diet. Nothing was available, although I did inform them on time. Last years Atlantic crossing was perfect. A lot of wind, special desserts and a very pleasant crew and very good maintenance of the ship. I am doing the Atlantic again this year, this time without my husband, he cannot find the time. Pity. But I sure will enjoy myself on the Clipper. Hope you have a beautiful Indian Ocean crossing. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask them.

We too were on the October 2004 Star Clipper Transatlantic from Cannes and had a truly wonderful time. As reported by Pralientje the sailing, crew, officers with Capt (and also First Officer) Sergei, and of course the passengers were magnificant. We will definately repeat, but unfortunately not in 2005. maybe 2006. We would start again in Cannes simply to have more time on the Clipper even though we've seen the ports of call between Cannes and Malaga. Wouldn't it be fun to sail with many of the same travelers again. I was told that Star Clippers has the highest repeat rate (65%) in the cruise industry and, being one of them (this was our 3rd time on the Star Clipper), I can see why.

Pralientje, enjoy your crossing and maybe someday we will again sit together at the Captains dinner . Will look forward to reading about your 2005 crossing.

The name of the hotel was Best Western Mondial, just checked hotel site. Rooms are from $ 103.74. It is a three star hotel. I found it on the internet. Search www.cannes.book-online.org or hotels in Cannes/google. It was only a five minute walk from the beach and the harbour. We did have breakfast in the hotel, but dinner in an Italian restaurant. Nothing fancy, just two starters, two main courses and one glass of wine and one mineral water. It was over Euro 100,=! Will see you in Malaga. Have a nice flight and trip to Malaga.:cool:

• 4 months later...
Can you tell me more about the problems with this crossing? We are planning the same trip this October -- Athens to Phuket on the Star Flyer.

Thank you.

Are you still planning to go on the 10/06/05 Star Flyer crossing? We just started a ROLL CALL thread.

Archived