Seasoned cruiser takes on Carnival.

Tutankhamen

I somehow missed this review last year so I'm glad that someone bumped it. What a great review, Tutankhamen! You are a great writer and your photos are beautiful!

My experience has been similar to yours. I had sailed both Celebrity and Holland America, and was reluctant to sail Carnival because of it's reputation as a party boat. We decided to try Carnival because we thought it might be more fun for our teenager. That turned out to be true, but the surprise was that it was also great fun for my husband and me, and we loved the service, the staterooms, the entertainment (especially the comedy shows), the thermal suite on the ships that have one, and we also like the food in the MDR and the Steakhouse, and the room service options are all delicious (with my favorites being the fruit plate, the bagel, cream cheese, and salmon for breakfast, and the amazing open-faced shrimp sandwich.) I also found, like you, that the standard coffee is better on Carnival. My only complaint is that I don't particularly like the breakfast options, either on the buffet or in the dining room. Celebrity, HAL, and Princess all win hands down in the breakfast department. (HAL is my favorite for breakfast, with it's array of really tasty choices for Eggs Benedict lovers.) But that's okay, I can survive on bagels and salmon or oatmeal for breakfast for a week, given all the other great things about Carnival.

Our next cruise (and our 4th on Carnival) is on the Carnival Magic this July, in a cove balcony. Can't wait!!

Thanks everyone. I had a great time writing the review, and enjoyed reliving the cruise by reading my review.

Your review: Meh... It can't be all good. (vs. "it can't be all bad")

You ARE however, good with a camera. Bravo!

I understand what you mean about the review being a bit all good. But, I have to honestly say I did not have anything negative stand out. Truth be told, small bumps in the road usually fall of my radar rather quickly. Example: Lets say there was a long wait for a tender, but I ended up on a gorgeous beach, I will most likely remember the beach and forget all about the wait to get there. Also, its kind of like going to the movies. If the movie is getting outstanding reviews, and everyone says it is the best movie of all time, I usually walk out thinking, huh....good movie, just don't get all the hype. Now, if I miss all the hype about the popular movie and I happen to stumble in to a showing, I usually walk out and think WOW, what a great movie.

Over they years I heard a lot of negative impressions of Carnival and so I went in with lower expectations.

Anxious to see how my cruise will be on the Dream on May 25th for round two. Same cabin, same ports. AND THAT IS A FIRST FOR ME! Will be doing a review upon my return and may even do a LIVE thread.

Great review. I was on the other thread where you mentioned this review so came over to have a read as I also love the Dream. We were on her twice and loved it both times.

However, you must try the Breeze. You will love it even more and afterwards will want to cruise on her again and again. We did B2B, a 6 day followed by the 8 days one and still want to go back. Of course, we had the best CD in Butch Begovich so that is a real plus.

Enjoy cruise 2 on the Dream! Bon Voyage!:D

You know with all of the recent problems that Carnival has had, as I was reading this review from a new Carnival cruiser, I was wondering when the major problems and complaints would be writen. But they never came. The whole review was very fair and compared the Dream to other ships, with no hidden agendas.

We sailed the Dream last September and loved it, with only minor issues, i.e. Long lines at the wok station. We will sail her again soon.

Thank you so much for this review! Because of it and your comments about the ports, and the food, and your cove balcony, etc...., DH and I will be booking the Dream for our next cruise.

So glad I stumbled upon this excellent comparison. It sounds like a winner! Thanks again!

Fabulous review! Made me really want to sail the Dream, and I've never wanted to before (not interested in big ships).

Those Cove Balconies look FABULOUS!

I love that you posted a photo of you taking a nap. We have a picture of me sleeping on every cruise we've been on. It's tradition.

But 8-10 dollars for a drink that isn't really that strong is a bit much.

Interesting observation, for me, it has been the opposite. I can't drink on Carnival- everything is too strong. I've tried a mojito and ended up splitting it into 2 cans of Coke (Mint Rum and Coke?) because it was so strong it was undrinkable. I've had sips of multiple martinis and a few of whatever they served at past guest parties. Everything was too strong for me to enjoy.

Archived