Diving in Cozumel with 20,000 passengers

Cruzin-K

One of the dates I'm looking at for a Western Caribbean cruise will have three ships in port in Roatan, two in Belize, and SEVEN in Cozumel including the Carnival Magic, the Mariner of the Seas, and the Allure of the Seas :eek:

Is it even practical to consider a scuba excursion when there are 22,074 passengers in port (based on double occupancy of the ships that will be there) :confused:

Right now I'm thinking of diving in Roatan and Belize, and hiding out on the ship in Cozumel :p

Have any of you done a scuba excursion when the island is that crowded?

We were in Cozumel in May. I believe there was 3 ships there. We watched boat after boat go out.

I had made reservations with Eagle Ray Divers who have 3 boats. There was just 4 divers. They take a max of 8-10 which you will find with most independent dive operators.

If you want to dive make reservations early though. Hope this helps.:)

We've been going there for 15 yrs. Even on cruises lately, if you book ahead, you can dive relatively painlessly. We usually dive with Dive With Martin, you can arrange in advance via their website -- they are located at one of the Int'l Piers (the older one by La Ceiba hotel). Last time, we went out in the afternoon 12 or 1 and they had us back by 4 or 5, two dives. They have fast boats and small loads (4-8 ppl).

Of course, it depends on when your ship departs...

Cruise passengers, even when there are 9 ships there, make up a small portion of the divers. There are over 100 dive ops in Cozumel. Most of them cater to non-cruise passengers.

You'll be able to enjoy diving. There's lots of space in the sea, and lots of dive ops to go with.

Hi Karen! Hope to cruise with you again. I've started my scuba certification and plan on diving in St Thomas next year. Belize sounded wonderful. I had a snorkeling excursion planned when I went there and it got canceled.

There were 6 or 7 boats in Cozumel when we were this past April. We booked a non-ship dive excursion with Scuba with Alison and it was excellent. We actually got off the ship, got a taxi to the marina and got to her boat before she was completely ready - as all this usually takes longer than 10 minutes but not this time, things went smooth. She is great - she will point out a lot of stuff to you and she lets you dive by your air consumption, not a fixed amount of time only. So some of our group (the airhogs - lol) had to go up early but I was able to stay down with her and two others for 88 minutes on our last dive (my group was telling me I must not breath - lol). We saw sea turtle, huge puffer fish, a nurse shark, lobster, crab and tons more. I would highly recommend contacting her for your excursion.

We have dove in Cozumel when there were five ships in port. We dove with Blue Angel. They are about 1/2 mile from the RCI dock. They use fast boats and we have never been on one of their boats with more than 8 divers. Usually 6 or less. Good operator. Contact Jeanie Buescher.

We have been in Roatan diving with three ships in port. We did not have any trouble diving or getting around. We were on the west end. Dove with six divers total.

Both sites are worth the diving. Have a good time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a new shop open in Cozumel now. I have dove with Jorge and have had Pony Ramirez handle setting up our gear needs and coordinate the boats.

Jeanie Busher is an American and has always worked with us to coordinate dives and trips. We booked our dives with her. The have a start up special. http://www.trespelicanos.com/?section=rates

Good people.

We have stayed in Cozumel several times and the reefs never get crowded. I can only recall a couple of dives when we even saw other groups of divers. You should be fine.

I second a non-ship dive excursion as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I dove with Blue Angel as well. Can't say they have fast boats, but they were sure nice, and they let us do a shore dive for free when our boat returned. There is a pen of rays right next door to see, or you can nap on the hammock. Don't rinse your gear until you return to the ship - trust me!

Archived