Magens Beach - Absolutely Wonderful!

2910car

Our family of 14 - grandparents, parents and children aged 5-10 had a wonderful day at Magens. We were on the Allure - so 6,000 people in port and since our tram dropped us off to the left of the concession stand - we virtually had the entire beach to oursleves from about 10 AM til noon when it did get a few more families but never got crowded. There was also a restroom right near us and plenty of shade trees.

The water was clear and beautiful and shallow enough for the little ones to swim on their own. We did rent some lounges and a float. We felt it was the best family day of the entire cruise.

The kids even enjoyed the open air tram that took us there. Our grandchildren all live in Florida and the mountains were thrilling to them.

Thanks for posting. It's very amusing to me to read the conflicting opinions about the beaches (not just on St Thomas, but throughout the Caribbean). Beaches, like other natural objects, are ever changing, but Magens is one of the more consistently calm beaches.

Glad to hear your family had a great day.

I personally think its a bit over rated. I mean its nice and very scenic as you drive over the mountain, but I found it to be crowded and just ok. I prefer going over to St John and going to Trunk Bay as I think its worth the ferry ride. I guess if your looking for just a beach day its ok, but other beaches close by have just as nice of a beach and some have snorkeling there too. Jst my opinion.;)

If you meant my post, the ferry from Red Hook is about 40 min. I cant remember how much, but it was like 10 bux ( guessing ) Then youd need a cab or open air cab to Trunk Bay and thats a few bux too. The whole point of doing it your self is youd have more time there than with the ships tour.

By tram, do you mean taxi? How much was the taxi and how long was the ride?

There are open sided 20 passenger vans as soon as you get to the street. They will wait until they get all 20 people who want to go to one place, but it is pretty quick. There may have been taxis also but we weren't looking for those.

To get to Magens Bay they go over the mountains which was fun for our Florida kids. The ride is about 20 minutes. I think they wanted $9 pp to Magens but since we were 14 people we were able to negotiate the price to $100. That is for each way. When you are ready to leave, there are always plenty of vans and taxis.

It is then $4 entry to the beach for adults only. No charge for children under 12.

My favorite beach! My first name is Megan(I know Magen is spelled differenly, but close!) I had so much fun telling people "Yes, you are welcome to be at my beach.. I am Megan"..tehe ;)

Archived