Maybe it's just me....

MissMichelle

Just off the Glory, had balcony cabin 6348. The first night We noticed the balcony light didn't work so we called guest services figuring it would be a quick fix. NOPE! We were told the lights from the balconies in our "area" (the whole front half of the ship) bothered the captain so the bulbs were removed. Huh? Shouldn't they tell you this when you book? Hubby goes to bed much earlier than me so I like to sit outside and read and can't have a light? Wasn't a problem on the Miracle in April. Really pissed me off......Maybe it's just me?

Just off the Glory, had balcony cabin 6348. The first night We noticed the balcony light didn't work so we called guest services figuring it would be a quick fix. NOPE! We were told the lights from the balconies in our "area" (the whole front half of the ship) bothered the captain so the bulbs were removed. Huh? Shouldn't they tell you this when you book? Hubby goes to bed much earlier than me so I like to sit outside and read and can't have a light? Wasn't a problem on the Miracle in April. Really pissed me off......Maybe it's just me?

Well that cabin is pretty much in the middle of the ship. I can't imagine how lights from the balconies halfway down the ship could bother the captain? :confused: I could understand the light issue if you were up front somewhere near the ships bridge where lights at night could affect the vision for the bridge crew. At night the bridge is darkened to increase the ability of the bridge crew to see and any ambient or bright light will ruin the night vision of the crew.

It sounds like a design flaw if ambient light interferes with navigation and the ability to keep a safe lookout.

On the other hand, it is hard to think that an unlit bulb is something the cruise line would keep track of, let alone feel is important enough to inform every booking passenger about.

Did you request any sort of alternative? I would have thought they could have got you one of those portable industrial-type worklights (plugs in with an extension-type cord and has a bulb in a cage) to rig up.

I find the balcony lights interfere with my enjoyment of my own balcony. We were very lucky last cruise out... our neighbor only had the lights on one evening, and turned it off when they went to bed. There is nothing more inspiring than the sea at night, lit dimly by the moon and stars.

I have a battery powered reading light that clips to my book...perfect for balconies and beds with sleeping husbands. :)

It sounds like a design flaw if ambient light interferes with navigation and the ability to keep a safe lookout.

On the other hand, it is hard to think that an unlit bulb is something the cruise line would keep track of, let alone feel is important enough to inform every booking passenger about.

Did you request any sort of alternative? I would have thought they could have got you one of those portable industrial-type worklights (plugs in with an extension-type cord and has a bulb in a cage) to rig up.

Best answer . . . I'd be a fool to try and improve on this. :)

I would guess [operative word] that reading with what little light that balcony light could provide would make reading difficult and wouldn't be very good for your eyes, either.

Sorry the safety of the ship and all on board was an inconvenience to you.

Very strange. Never heard of this on a Conquest class ship before. Cannot imagine why it would bother the capt and be a safety issue.

On every ship we've been on, while the ship is underway, the balcony lights didn't work. We were told that for navigational purposes the bridge turns them off while underway.

As for a balcony light not interferring with the bridge half way down, remember that there are wings on either side of the bridge. Any lights on the ship would reflect on the glass in those wings.

Sorry the safety of the ship and all on board was an inconvenience to you.

Seriously, Igerster...no reason to be hateful.:(

I agree with the posters suggesting that people bring a portable light for night time balcony lighting. I also love to look at the night sky and adjacent balcony lights can be disappointing.

However, I'm also sorry you didn't know and weren't prepared, OP! But, now we know :D. And, in addition to a portable light, may I suggest a night mask for DH? I'm lucky to have a DH that can sleep with the light on while I read!

We were on Conquest in April on deck six, near the aft and our balcony light did not work either. I never saw our neighbors with their balcony lights on either. Given everything else about carnival's cost cutting and the ship itself- I pretty much assumed the bulbs had burned out and not been replaced- since no one asked about it.

I think it would be very hard for Carnival to notify all guests if balcony lights did not work.

We were in a OV 1375, and the noise that came from deck 0 was very loud between the hours of 11:30pm-2am pretty much every night. I thought Carnival should put a note about cabins like that. But I felt it would be difficult to do so.

We will not be staying on deck 1 anymore, unless we really have to.

Archived