Booked Posada San Fransisco!

tinlizzy

I'm kind of excited about it actually. I have never seen a hostel (except Switzerland) that I cared to stay at but the pictures and reviews were all positive. I think the apt. in Condado is a better deal with transportation from the airport and to the port (both were $70) but we wanted to stay in OSJ.

I can't for the life of me remember what hotel we stayed at 4 years ago but I hated it. The 7-11 down the street and the beach about a block away is all I remember about the location.

I am just so over paying thru the nose for semi-crappy hotels.

I've stayed at Posada twice, and I just love it. I always stayed in a private room, though, not on the hostel floor. My reviews are on TripAdvisor under same screen name.

Since I'm usually traveling solo, Posada gives me the opportunity to meet and mingle with other travelers. The owners are such a nice, friendly, hard-working family, so it's a much warmer atmosphere than a hotel.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them for you.

Thanks Ms411. We did get a private room - the standard 3 person. It looks cute and I can't wait to see the balcony and the ship in the morning.

I am a little worried at the strictness of the arrival time. No sooner did I book the room and put down an arrival time, AA changed our flights. I suppose I'll e-mail them a few days before we leave.

I have also booked the Posada San Francisco for 1 night pre-cruise in January. We are staying in a private room as well. I booked based on its location in OSJ, the balcony (can't wait to take pics), the fact that its available for only 1 night (most have a 2 night minimum), the great reviews, and the cost. I booked it before I had booked our flights so I will need to contact them the week before to give an accurate arrival time. I hope we have a good experience.

When I was last at Posada, I had a conversation about one of the other guests about breakfast in OSJ. He was making his own breakfast from items he bought at the farmers' market (he was staying for a few weeks). I bought my breakfast at the Subway at the cruise dock and brought it back to eat on the balcony. He commented on how good my omelette looked and thought it was the best breakfast deal in OSJ. We both thought breakfasts were kind of expensive for the portions (even in the cheapie places) compared to the lunches and dinners.

Aroma is my favorite place so far for breakfast, but I don't think they're open on Sat, and they don't open until, I think, 8 on Sun, and I'm hungry way before then. Their portions aren't huge, but the quality is excellent IMO.

I was just reading reviews of the Posada San Francisco and the Fortaleza guest house on tripadvisor and they are mostly positive. We stayed at the San Juan suites last year and I think with fees and taxes it was about $165 a night...and it was a dump...we do not need much, but this place was so dark and depressing! The balcony views sound incredible here! We are traveling with our DD16..it sounds like you can put three people in a room? i thought I read somewhere it was only two to a room. no safety concerns? We are staying three days post cruise...for Cervantes it will be about $750-800....So this is sounding really really good! What about thenarrival times are so strict? thanks everyone!

I was just reading reviews of the Posada San Francisco and the Fortaleza guest house on tripadvisor and they are mostly positive. We stayed at the San Juan suites last year and I think with fees and taxes it was about $165 a night...and it was a dump...we do not need much, but this place was so dark and depressing! The balcony views sound incredible here! We are traveling with our DD16..it sounds like you can put three people in a room? i thought I read somewhere it was only two to a room. no safety concerns? We are staying three days post cruise...for Cervantes it will be about $750-800....So this is sounding really really good! What about thenarrival times are so strict? thanks everyone!

We booked the standard 3 person. One twin and a double bed. There is actually a traveler pic of the room on tripadvisor.

I can't personally comment on security but I read that the outside is locked, as is each floor, then the lock on your room. That's why they want to know your exact arrival time - so someone can let you in.

I like that it's across the street from Colon Plaza which is stop #16 on the trolley map, just a couple blks from the port and the public bus station. The last stop on the A5 (now the T5) bus is the Denny's/Walgreen's in Isle Verde if you want to go to the beach. It's $.75pp - much better than the $20 cab ride.

I say go for it!

It's probably safer than a hotel, because the entrance is discreet, and it's not open to the public. The bottom floors are mostly professional offices.

I walked to the beach from there, and made a slideshow.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1432081

I also walked the other direction along a trail below Ft Morro.

Uh, oh. Having problems loading this one, but it's on the same everytrail site.

• 8 months later...
We booked the standard 3 person. One twin and a double bed. There is actually a traveler pic of the room on tripadvisor.

I can't personally comment on security but I read that the outside is locked, as is each floor, then the lock on your room. That's why they want to know your exact arrival time - so someone can let you in.

I like that it's across the street from Colon Plaza which is stop #16 on the trolley map, just a couple blks from the port and the public bus station. The last stop on the A5 (now the T5) bus is the Denny's/Walgreen's in Isle Verde if you want to go to the beach. It's $.75pp - much better than the $20 cab ride.

I say go for it!

My husband and I are thinking about staying there in May. How does the whole locking the doors work? Specifically, if they lock the doors at night can you go out to dinner, how do you get back in?

Archived