Advice request - North American booking + U/g

SEFlyer

I would appreciate some advice from experienced board members familiar with bookings made in North America.

Back in the spring I booked and paid a deposit for an A-7 cabin on QE for the Pearls of the Black Sea cruise on Sept 30. I paid a deposit on a 'sale price' fare of $2595 each with a $100 OBC each. The rules were clear....the deposit was non-refundable so I couldn't pull it and buy a cheaper fare if one became available before final payment. I understood that and I don't expect a cheaper price.

I booked A-7 'Guarantee' hoping for an upgrade and in checking my online details my cabin is still listed as Guarantee A-7.

But the fares have dropped and I am about to make final payment. The A-7 I booked is now $2,199 though without OBC. A-3 is $2,399 and A-1 is $2,499. They are the same or less than I paid netting the OBC.

Can I ask to be upgraded to A-3 or A-1 for the price I paid and be confirmed in a stateroom of that class? Will Cunard do that?

The other option I wonder about is paying an extra $104 to upgrade to to Club Britannia which is available at $2,699. Will Cunard permit that? Will they let me keep my OBC if I do that?

All the figures I've quoted here are Cdn$ just in case my friends south of the border are seeing different numbers on their website.

I'm sure some-one here will want to tell me to find a travel agent, ask a travel agent or change travel agents. None of those suggestions will be helpful for reasons it would take too long to explain. Yes, I do have an agent and I will be going through her but I want to be armed with the great knowledge I know exists on this board before I ask.

Advice from the many experts on CC would be greatly appreciated.

If I understand you correctly, you have booked this through a travel agent? If so, I'm not sure Cunard agents can talk to you about your booking. You probably have to go through your agent of record.

I don't know if Cunard will give the cabin level that is now equal in price to what you paid for your guarantee, but it can't hurt to ask. Some lines give OBC instead of upgrades in situations like this.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Yes, I have a travel agent and yes I will go thru her. But she is not very knowledgable or helpful in these situations, based on my past experience. I am seeking solid advice from knowledgable BM's before I discuss this with her.

partial quote

...The other option I wonder about is paying an extra $104 to upgrade to to Club Britannia which is available at $2,699. Will Cunard permit that? Will they let me keep my OBC if I do that?...

As relates to that specifc question, my experience (booking made through a US travel agent) was that I was able to purchase an upgrade at the current price, while keeping the OBC offered by my travel agent, the OBC from a future cruise credit as well as CCL stockholder OBC.

After paying for the upgrade (A2 Guarantee category was all that was available, not able to select a specific cabin), Cunard upgraded us shortly before our voyage (no additional charge). We were very pleased with the outcome, and I hope it works as well for you. Regards, -S.

Re post #4: Just to clarify that after paying for an upgrade, we later were upgraded to a higher category at no additional charge. We booked early, and the fare had decreased considerably after final payment. Another consideration might be that we did not select a specific cabin. We're WC Platinum - maybe that helps? Who knows:confused::D

I would appreciate some advice from experienced board members familiar with bookings made in North America.

Back in the spring I booked and paid a deposit for an A-7 cabin on QE for the Pearls of the Black Sea cruise on Sept 30. I paid a deposit on a 'sale price' fare of $2595 each with a $100 OBC each. The rules were clear....the deposit was non-refundable so I couldn't pull it and buy a cheaper fare if one became available before final payment. I understood that and I don't expect a cheaper price.

I booked A-7 'Guarantee' hoping for an upgrade and in checking my online details my cabin is still listed as Guarantee A-7.

But the fares have dropped and I am about to make final payment. The A-7 I booked is now $2,199 though without OBC. A-3 is $2,399 and A-1 is $2,499. They are the same or less than I paid netting the OBC.

Can I ask to be upgraded to A-3 or A-1 for the price I paid and be confirmed in a stateroom of that class? Will Cunard do that?

The other option I wonder about is paying an extra $104 to upgrade to to Club Britannia which is available at $2,699. Will Cunard permit that? Will they let me keep my OBC if I do that?

All the figures I've quoted here are Cdn$ just in case my friends south of the border are seeing different numbers on their website.

I'm sure some-one here will want to tell me to find a travel agent, ask a travel agent or change travel agents. None of those suggestions will be helpful for reasons it would take too long to explain. Yes, I do have an agent and I will be going through her but I want to be armed with the great knowledge I know exists on this board before I ask.

It is unusual for a deposit on a North American fare to be non-refundable which makes me think that the fare offered was a special rate which may have the disadvantage of being non-changeable and non-refareable. In normal situations your agent would be able to call Cunard and accomplish what you wish but I have a sneaking feeling that in this instance it may be impossible. The phone call really needs to be made so that the matter can be resolvedo one way or the other.

Sounds to me that you have the same offer that I have for the QE on September 19th from Athens, you cant get out of it, but WOW did they drop the price for me, I was amazed ,

Your cabin A7 wont change until a few weeks before you go either, so your looking early September to see if you have an upgrade and the chances are high that you from an A7.

Your best bet is as the others say, Phone Cunard and ask, they will tell you all you need to know and then you ask your TA.

As you booked via a TA you have to go back to them, but I have on several occasions spoken to Cunard, thought I was not getting anywhere only to have my TA phone me, once they gave an offer so good I could not believe it , my TA was on the phone saying they need the answer right now,:) it was a no brainer, so Cunard may help more than you think, good luck

It is unusual for a deposit on a North American fare to be non-refundable which makes me think that the fare offered was a special rate which may have the disadvantage of being non-changeable and non-refareable. In normal situations your agent would be able to call Cunard and accomplish what you wish but I have a sneaking feeling that in this instance it may be impossible. The phone call really needs to be made so that the matter can be resolvedo one way or the other.

Technically North American fares are changed and/or reduced by cancelling and rebooking any time before final payment. So a non-refundable deposit effectively prevents change or re-booking.

I was aware of that when I booked and have no complaint. It is rare and it was a special sale. So 'special' that the price is now $400 lower. That's a lesson learned for future bookings.

Having booked with my eyes open, I'm just inquiring on here if anyone has been in a similar situation and been able to wangle and confirm a decent upgrade out of it.

Technically North American fares are changed and/or reduced by cancelling and rebooking any time before final payment. So a non-refundable deposit effectively prevents change or re-booking.

I was aware of that when I booked and have no complaint. It is rare and it was a special sale. So 'special' that the price is now $400 lower. That's a lesson learned for future bookings.

Having booked with my eyes open, I'm just inquiring on here if anyone has been in a similar situation and been able to wangle and confirm a decent upgrade out of it.

Does your travel agent work for a travel agency either online or brick and mortar or a member of a consortium? All agencies have district sales representatives that your agent can go to for help in getting a resolution to your issue. You seem flexible and not unreasonable in what you are requesting or willing to do. I have had bookings re-fared on Princess on a regular basis using Onesource, the online booking tool. Onesource works with Cunard as well. I would think at the very least your agent (using Onesource) should be able to change your booking to the higher category, collecting the additional fare, without canceling and re-booking.

Whatever the resolution, please post the result, sobthatvwevall may learn.

If my own experience is anything to go by, the answer will, I am sorry to say , be "hard luck"!

I booked a cruise a year in advance, GTY cabin (inside),with a not very large OBC through an agent with whom I had been a client for several years and whom I trusted (stupid me)

That would have been fine, then I read several ads for same cruise at lower price and more OBC, even received offers in the mail and - line. Contacted my agent , only to be told "ads not true " and "anyone who says they got is cheaper is lying" well I tried to keep open mind, but prices still kept appeared at less than I had booked, , agent still insisted "not true ads".

Final straw was to see ads not only cheaper but with "free upgrades" yet I had been given a cabin without any upgrade, Contacted agent, difficult to get reply, finally got reply, she was angry with me because I had "checked on prices" said I should" not have done this."

Told me nothing could be done because cruise was fully sold out - if this were true why were cabins still be sold at "sale prices" by the "bucket shop agencies"?

End of story is , I am stuck in a not good cabin, at a higher rate, and have "fired " my agent.

Yes, it is possible, though you could lose the OBC if it is attached to the original promo code on the original booking. However, you could also just wait and see what assignment Cunard gives you since you booked a guarantee. They will have to berth you eventually. The revenue software does recognize what you paid vis a vis currently selling prices.

Checked today, my cruise still being sold for less, on line agency offering same cat. of cabin as I have been given for $500 less and still offering OBC.

So much for "fully sold out" and "nothing can be done".

Checked today, my cruise still being sold for less, on line agency offering same cat. of cabin as I have been given for $500 less and still offering OBC.

So much for "fully sold out" and "nothing can be done".

Are you past final payment?

Sometimes a cruise appears sold out because agencies hold blocks of rooms. I believe unsold rooms in the block go back to Cunard at the time of final payment, so maybe that's how a "sold out" cruise can become not "sold out."

Yes I am past final payment.

I started to question the fare about 4 weeks before final payment, was told "fully sold out, ads are fakes, and anyone telling you they got a lower price is lying"

Well I let the matter drop. Then when the ads still appeared after final payment I again questioned the "fully sold out excuse" I thought if the price had dropped I would not get a rebate but would get upgraded to higher cat. of cabin.

I got nothing, again told "fully sold out etc" but still the ads were there, I even got e mails offering my cat of cabin at a much lower rate. So I sent my agent an e mail, no reply for 48 hours, then I got a tirade re how much work my booking had required, how I should NOT check other agents prices,how my agent was sick and tired of hering about other agents lowere prices which were all lies etc etc.

So we parted ways,- a drop in price of several hundred dollars is no small thing, (it would have paid my hotel cost ), I had been with the agent for several years and I have Diamond status with Cunard.

Just to update those who've offered helpful advice on this thread, I decided after consulting my wife to seek an upgrade to AA or Britannia Club at $104 each more than I reserved the A-7. I lost my $100 OBC on the 'sale price' but I still think I'm getting a decent deal.

We still have our $300 each OBC for paying $600 for a future cruise deposit on a TA in January. I will get the $100 OBC as a shareholder.

We have a nice cabin located on Deck 8 reserved and my TA says we're still eligible for an upgrade which would be to Princess Grill. That would be nice but I won't hold my breath.

The main lesson from this is not to believe 'sales' and wait until just before the final payment date before either booking or finalising payment for a normal reservation.

We're looking forward to seeing QE and to our Black Sea cruise.

Just to update those who've offered helpful advice on this thread, I decided after consulting my wife to seek an upgrade to AA or Britannia Club at $104 each more than I reserved the A-7. I lost my $100 OBC on the 'sale price' but I still think I'm getting a decent deal.

We still have our $300 each OBC for paying $600 for a future cruise deposit on a TA in January. I will get the $100 OBC as a shareholder.

We have a nice cabin located on Deck 8 reserved and my TA says we're still eligible for an upgrade which would be to Princess Grill. That would be nice but I won't hold my breath.

The main lesson from this is not to believe 'sales' and wait until just before the final payment date before either booking or finalising payment for a normal reservation.

We're looking forward to seeing QE and to our Black Sea cruise.

I think you made a good decision. Enjoy your cruise.

Are you past final payment?

Sometimes a cruise appears sold out because agencies hold blocks of rooms. I believe unsold rooms in the block go back to Cunard at the time of final payment, so maybe that's how a "sold out" cruise can become not "sold out."

Unless there are the same cabins available for all three legs of a Grand Voyage, eg....you remain in the same cabin for all three legs, a Grand Voyage is sold out which has been the case and remains the case for the 28 Aug Grand Voyage.

As far as group space, Cunard typically pulls unsold group space 4-5 months prior to sailing, sooner if the sailing is a hot seller.

It really isn't a good idea to book a Grand Voyage as a single voyage insofar as there is always more rate movement on the separate legs. But some people don't see it that way.

Unless there are the same cabins available for all three legs of a Grand Voyage, eg....you remain in the same cabin for all three legs, a Grand Voyage is sold out which has been the case and remains the case for the 28 Aug Grand Voyage.

As far as group space, Cunard typically pulls unsold group space 4-5 months prior to sailing, sooner if the sailing is a hot seller.

It really isn't a good idea to book a Grand Voyage as a single voyage insofar as there is always more rate movement on the separate legs. But some people don't see it that way.

Interesting. I thought that blocks had a predetermined expiry date.

I see what you mean about the separate legs. When we did the 22 nights around Australia, I did hear about some pax on the very short segments in Australia getting great upgrades. I didn't hear many upgrade stories from people on the whole 22 night circumnavigation. Assigning cabins when there are overlapping segments and back-to-backis must be very complicated for a cruise line.

Interesting. I thought that blocks had a predetermined expiry date.

I see what you mean about the separate legs. When we did the 22 nights around Australia, I did hear about some pax on the very short segments in Australia getting great upgrades. I didn't hear many upgrade stories from people on the whole 22 night circumnavigation. Assigning cabins when there are overlapping segments and back-to-backis must be very complicated for a cruise line.

Yes, there are set dates. However, all cruiselines retain the right to pull unsold group allotments should it be a hot seller.

So loyal passengers doing "Grand voyages" (i.e 24 days instead of a 7. or 10. or 7) lose out -they do not get upgrades, and they are given cabins that Cunard find hard to sell!

I put the question to a travel agent friend--he said that is what happens when the passenger insists on keeping the same cabin for the whole trip.

So loyal passengers doing "Grand voyages" (i.e 24 days instead of a 7. or 10. or 7) lose out -they do not get upgrades, and they are given cabins that Cunard find hard to sell!

I don't think the "loyal passenger" status means much in terms of upgrades or cabin assignments. I think it did years ago, but more recently, the cruise lines seem to be more generous to new customers. A friend who is platinum on Cunard told me that her DD and SIL got a nice offer in the mail from Cunard after only one short QM2 cruise. The DD and SIL booked it and told my friend about it. She tried to book it and couldn't get the sale price because it was an offer targeted at people who had one or two cruises with Cunard. Even when her DD tried to do the booking and pointed out that she wanted to take her mother along (in a separate cabin), Cunard said no.

My take on this is that the cruise lines figure they've "got" us, and they're focusing on building loyalty in new customers.

I think that even loyal Cunard passengers still need to hunt around and find the best deals. Research and compare fares on the internet and get quotes from competing agents and Cunard itself. If the chances of an upgrade are more likely if you book individuals sectors, as opposed to longer voyages, then take that advice and book that way - that's if you want to increase the chances of being upgraded. From what I've heard, the move between staterooms isn't that onerous.

This also includes what happens on board. For example, if you want a particular table then email Cunard and ask for it. If you want to be on a hosted table then email Cunard and ask for it.

In any case, it's kind of fun doing the research and getting quotes, it also feels good to know you've got the best deal you can.

Archived