Montreal to Boston cruise on HAL, excursion help?

Alright, not to long ago I posted on the boards about my family being interested in a New England/Canada cruise on HAL during May 2013 and I got some great feedback.

We've cruised Celebrity, Royal, Costa, MSC, NCL, and Carnival before. We're not sure what to expect on HAL or the Maasdam. Is it a smaller ship? So any help on what to expect, how the lines compare or any general information about the ship would be appreciated.

I've posted this a few other places as well, hoping to get as many eyes and feedback as possible.

Since we've looked into airfare, we are leaning towards the Montreal to Boston route towards late May. My daughter, 21, really wants to do this cruise. We are all aware that there tends to be an older crowd on HAL, and from what we've heard its a more self entertaining line, but the itinerary really appeals to her and us.

So another question is, what are some "must do's" on this cruise? I believe our ports of call are Maine, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Quebec City. Or something along those lines. Looking for ideas of what to do on excursions/tours.

Also what about Montreal? We are wanting to go down 2 days early and would like to sight see. We've never been to Canada. Any must do's while there?

Thanks again for all the advice!

Alright, not to long ago I posted on the boards about my family being interested in a New England/Canada cruise on HAL during May 2013 and I got some great feedback.

We've cruised Celebrity, Royal, Costa, MSC, NCL, and Carnival before. We're not sure what to expect on HAL or the Maasdam. Is it a smaller ship? So any help on what to expect, how the lines compare or any general information about the ship would be appreciated.

I've posted this a few other places as well, hoping to get as many eyes and feedback as possible.

Since we've looked into airfare, we are leaning towards the Montreal to Boston route towards late May. My daughter, 21, really wants to do this cruise. We are all aware that there tends to be an older crowd on HAL, and from what we've heard its a more self entertaining line, but the itinerary really appeals to her and us.

So another question is, what are some "must do's" on this cruise? I believe our ports of call are Maine, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Quebec City. Or something along those lines. Looking for ideas of what to do on excursions/tours.

Also what about Montreal? We are wanting to go down 2 days early and would like to sight see. We've never been to Canada. Any must do's while there?

Thanks again for all the advice!

I recently got off The Maasdam and truly enjoyed it. Yes, it is a “smaller” ship which does limit activities somewhat but in my opinion this has the advantage of fewer lines.

I was usually up and about by 5.30 am, so to be honest the night life really was not my area of expertise. (BTW – I am in my early 40’s) There was a happy hour in the Crow’s Nest every afternoon around sail away (Buy 1 drink, receive the 2nd for just $1) and that seemed rather popular. There were also movies being shown in the Wajang theatre at various times in the evening.

Montreal

We booked a Tour through Gray line which started at Dorchester square. The Greater Montreal Guided Tour started at 10 am and we were able to put our luggage under the bus. After the tour finished, back at Dorchester Square, we were transferred to one of their shuttle buses that took us straight to the cruise ship terminal. FYI- If you take the HOHO bus that Gray Line also offers, we were told that bus could not take the luggage.

Quebec City

We booked with Old Quebec tours which picked us up right outside the Musee De La Civilisation (a short walk from the ship). The tour was called A Fabulous Country Tour! We drove to the Island of Orléans and stopped at a chocolate store. From there we then drove back across the bridge to the Montmorency Falls (1 1/2 times higher than Niagara Falls). We took the funicular up (not included in tour price). We quickly made a stop at a Copper factory. This surprisingly was rather interesting. No pressure to buy. We also made a quick stop at Chez Marie for an optional purchase of bread with maple butter. We then made our final stop at Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré and visited the world famous Shrine. Our guide was really fun and upon return to the city, he kindly dropped us off at the Frontenac hotel.

Bar Harbor

We booked Oli’s trolleys which took us into Acadia National Park and up Cadillac Mountain. As you get off the tender you will see the Oli’s Trolley office right there. We did a 2 ½ hr which started at 10 am but I believe they have other times as well.

I should mention that just because I was able to take these tours in June, May is a little earlier in the season and the schedule for these companies at that time might be different or possibly not running at all.

I hope this information helps and you have a wonderful time!

I recently got off The Maasdam and truly enjoyed it. Yes, it is a “smaller” ship which does limit activities somewhat but in my opinion this has the advantage of fewer lines.

I was usually up and about by 5.30 am, so to be honest the night life really was not my area of expertise. (BTW – I am in my early 40’s) There was a happy hour in the Crow’s Nest every afternoon around sail away (Buy 1 drink, receive the 2nd for just $1) and that seemed rather popular. There were also movies being shown in the Wajang theatre at various times in the evening.

Montreal

We booked a Tour through Gray line which started at Dorchester square. The Greater Montreal Guided Tour started at 10 am and we were able to put our luggage under the bus. After the tour finished, back at Dorchester Square, we were transferred to one of their shuttle buses that took us straight to the cruise ship terminal. FYI- If you take the HOHO bus that Gray Line also offers, we were told that bus could not take the luggage.

Quebec City

We booked with Old Quebec tours which picked us up right outside the Musee De La Civilisation (a short walk from the ship). The tour was called A Fabulous Country Tour! We drove to the Island of Orléans and stopped at a chocolate store. From there we then drove back across the bridge to the Montmorency Falls (1 1/2 times higher than Niagara Falls). We took the funicular up (not included in tour price). We quickly made a stop at a Copper factory. This surprisingly was rather interesting. No pressure to buy. We also made a quick stop at Chez Marie for an optional purchase of bread with maple butter. We then made our final stop at Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré and visited the world famous Shrine. Our guide was really fun and upon return to the city, he kindly dropped us off at the Frontenac hotel.

Bar Harbor

We booked Oli’s trolleys which took us into Acadia National Park and up Cadillac Mountain. As you get off the tender you will see the Oli’s Trolley office right there. We did a 2 ½ hr which started at 10 am but I believe they have other times as well.

I should mention that just because I was able to take these tours in June, May is a little earlier in the season and the schedule for these companies at that time might be different or possibly not running at all.

I hope this information helps and you have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the information about the ship! We're not early risers and neither is our daughter, but my MIL sure is. And the Happy Hour drink special seems like a great deal. I'm kind of interested if there is any nightlife aboard since it's my daughters 21st birthday and of course she really likes the itinerary and want's to do something different. But of course I would feel awful if she was the youngest one or one of the younger ones on the ship. What kind of crowd was on your cruise?

Thanks for the information about the ship! We're not early risers and neither is our daughter, but my MIL sure is. And the Happy Hour drink special seems like a great deal. I'm kind of interested if there is any nightlife aboard since it's my daughters 21st birthday and of course she really likes the itinerary and want's to do something different. But of course I would feel awful if she was the youngest one or one of the younger ones on the ship. What kind of crowd was on your cruise?

In my observation our ship had very few people in their early twenties but having said that their daily or nightly patterns may just not have coincided with mine. Looking back on the Explorer (the ship’s daily), I can give you the following information for the first few ports that hopefully gives you some insight to the activities. Of course there was always a show in the main theatre as well.

Montreal – Welcome aboard Dance party with DJ 10.30 pm-close

Quebec City- A Country Line Dance Party 9.00 pm & Karaoke at 10.00 pm

At Sea – Name that tune 9.00 pm & 50 & 60’s Prom night at 9.30-11.30 pm

Charlottetown- Sing with the HALcats 9.00 pm & ‘70’s Disco Inferno with DJ at 10.30 pm

The Explorer also mentioned Generation Next for ages 18-25 in the Crow’s nest nightly starting at 11.30 pm.

Since I did not go to any of these events I cannot attest to their attendance.

Bar harbor Maine - Oli's Trolley was great and be sure to get a lobster roll and clam chowder at Stewman's Lobster Pound

Prince Edward Island- Rent a car and do a big circle up to North Rustico, Cavendish (Anne of Green Gables), along beautiful coastline, then Confederation Bridge an back to town. It is an easy drive.

Nova Scotia- Taxi or rent a car, head out to Peggy's Cove and the SwissAir Memorial, along some beautiful coastline. Back to town, the citadel and gardens. Also, check out the shops and immigration museum along the pier.

Quebec City- walk around town, it is right beside the ship and there is plenty to do and see.

Do a search for each port by going back to the Ports of Call - Canada page. The search feature is to the right of the blue bar near the top of the page. There are many previous posts about each port.

For Nova Scotia are you going to Halifax or Sydney or both?

All these ports are very easy to do on your own, some by renting a car.

You can easily occupy a day on or near the waterfront in Halifax, for example.

We just got back from an awsome 13 day vacation.Please plan on spending a few days in Montreal.We enjoyed it so much.The Maasdam is a smaller sized ship,which affords it to do this itinerary.The ship is very clean.The staff were all helpful and friendly.The food was prepared and presented first class. Room sizes are large even inside cabins.You have to make your own nightlife.It seems most of the cruisers o to their cabins at 10.We stayed up late with Barry from Boston.com .We had the best time at the Piano Bar

We enjoyed the ports of call Quebec and Sydney we booked the Best of tours through HAL,PEI we booked an independent tour with Duncan.we shared the tour with 2 other couples we met on Roll Call.Bar Harbor we did an hour flightseeing tour with Acadia air as we had already done Oily's Trolley.Halifax we did the Immigration Museum and walked along the water front as we have already done Peggy's Cove and Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour.

Our 4 days in Boston were so enjoyable.

Over all we really enjoyed ourselves and have many wonderful memories

Can you please give me a little more information about your PEI tour?

It was a very inclusive tour for 7 hours.Duncan will take you anywhere you want to go,but since we didn't have anything in mind he did the tour,It cost 50$ per hour for the tour.The 3 couples split the cost.We had lunch in a very nice place,The Preserve Factory,we went to the beach and railroad park by the bridge,saw lobster being brought in by the boats and learned about the mussel industry.

It was a very inclusive tour for 7 hours.Duncan will take you anywhere you want to go,but since we didn't have anything in mind he did the tour,It cost 50$ per hour for the tour.The 3 couples split the cost.We had lunch in a very nice place,The Preserve Factory,we went to the beach and railroad park by the bridge,saw lobster being brought in by the boats and learned about the mussel industry.

Thanks so much for the info. I've contacted Duncan and he seems like a very nice man to deal with. :)

Archived