Casual Night Dining Room Shoe Question.

Ok, I will wear a coat and tie and dress shoes on formal night. On casual nights in the dining room is it appropriate to wear sandals for men? I would have some sort of dress pants of khakis on, but didn't want to wear the dress shoes every night.

Thanks!

Don

I used to be pretty set on what the dress code should be and that everyone should follow it. To be perfectly honest it really does not matter. Having just came back from a cruise I saw it all. When you see the baggy jeans and football jerseys on formal night I really don't think it matters. Wear what makes you comfortable. You won't be out of place at all.

No Sandals, I recommend the same shoes with Black or Khakis pants and a Polo shirt. Save the Sandals for the Lido deck. Youre only in those shoes for about 2 hours, then you can go back and change for the rest of the evening.

I wish I could send you our formal night pics LOL We all dressed appropriately except son #1 could not find his dress shoes.......he is wearing his Bauer flip flop type sandals. Daughter #1 wore her flip flops (I did not notice until we took the pictures). DH wore leather sandals with his suit. I wore dress open toe shoes. I think it is perfectly acceptable for men to wear sandals with their suits. I specifically chose the "long" shot formal picture of our children since we can see their feet ~~ 1 with dress shoes, 1 with Bauer's, and 1 with flip flops. It makes for great memories.

Most of the cruisers I've seen always had topsider or loafer type shoes on for non formal nights with their slacks/dockers. Can't say that I ever saw sandals except for 3 nights on the Destiny when the dress code was stated that shorts were acceptable. Most Carnival ships are not this way though.

I think that if a man wears khaki pants and a nice shirt, what is wrong with wearing dress sandals? I mean us women do it right? I wear strappy heels with all of my dresses on the cruises....is there a rule that says women can show their toes, but men cant?? :) IMO it is fine. I dont go around looking at other peoples shoes when dining.... I wouldnt notice anyway. Now, if you came in with a tank top and flip flops, that may be a little different!

My DH wore sandals with his resort casual wear...khakis and a Hawaiian shirt. Looked fabulous!

Have to say I love the tape in your sig., to funny.

Wear what you want on your feet, no one will notice.

Does all ships have the casual night?? I'm on the Destiny ship out of San Juan and would like to know about these casual nights and what nights they are on??

Thanks for the info. Randy :)

Hi Randy ~ If you're on a 7 day cruise (I think yours does San Juan, St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Aruba, San Juan) then you'll have 2 formal nights on the ship (people get all spiffed up for those nights). The other nights are "casual", in other words not formal.

According to the Is there a dress code for the dining room? page on Carnival's site:

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit
Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit
NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

If you're on a 7 day cruise, I'm pretty sure your formal nights will be the 2nd night and the 6th night.

By the way, DewCruiser ~ At my insistence, my husband got married with a nice pair of sandals on. Good enough for my wedding, good enough for casual night in the dining room. ;)

NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
Randy, the Destiny is actually the one expection to this rule. You will have 3 nights on which shorts are acceptable. The night you embark in SanJuan (of course), the night you are in Barbados as there will be other passengers embarking (and disembarking) and also on the night you are in Aruba as, again, there will be new passengers arriving. (I'll check my Capers to be sure those nights are correct for you). I still wore one of my collared shirts with my shorts. HTH

Does all ships have the casual night?? I'm on the Destiny ship out of San Juan and would like to know about these casual nights and what nights they are on??

Thanks for the info. Randy :)

Hi Randy! I just returned from Destiny last week. I'm referring to my capers as I type. Here's exactly what it says for dinner each night:

Sunday: Casual

Monday: Resort Casual (No shorts or tank tops)

Tuesday: Formal (No shorts or tank tops, please)

Wednesday: Casual (Shorts permitted)

Thursday: Formal

Friday: Casual (Shorts permitted)

Saturday: Casual

Have a great cruise!!!!!

Ok, I will wear a coat and tie and dress shoes on formal night. On casual nights in the dining room is it appropriate to wear sandals for men? I would have some sort of dress pants of khakis on, but didn't want to wear the dress shoes every night.

Thanks!

Don

As long as your feet are under the table and not on it, sandals should be just fine.

Thanks!

Don

I wore top siders, no socks. Others in our group wore leather men's sandals with closed toe. None wore a Teva style sandal. Note: There will not be any shoe police posted at the entrances to the dining rooms. Bon appetit!

Ken - shorts are permitted on casual nights now? Did you see a lot of people taking advantage of this option?

Only on Destiny.....this is a special ship and situation! Most people embark in San Juan the first day, so as usual, shorts are allowed. However, there are some who embark in Barbados and in Aruba. So, just like San Juan, shorts are allowed in the dining room on those nights...due to luggage not being delivered yet.

Men...if your toenails look like dried up little Triscuits...refrain from open toed shoes.... :eek:

Thank you!!! I'd probably lose my dinner if I happened to notice someone's nasty, gnarly toes while eating!!!! Yuck!!!!

Are topsiders the same thing as docksiders or boat shoes? I wore those with no socks on the non-formal nights.

I think that if a man wears khaki pants and a nice shirt, what is wrong with wearing dress sandals?
LOL, is there such a thing as "dress" sandals? Reminds me of Survivor's Rupert talking about his "dress jeans".

I too wear boat shoes (no socks) on casual nights. I can't see the problem with a nice pair of sandals. Just make sure they're not the skanky one's you wore to the beach earlier in the day.

There most definitely ARE dress sandals. Here's an example. You can find similar sandals at much more reasonable prices than this example.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.asp?base_no=69697&mscssid=1F9972EBED2941D7830E6FA8A56AF717

This is NOT a dress sandal, regardless of the price:

http://www.teva.com/Apparel_Detail.asp?dept_id=1&sku=6697&sc=all&g=men

Are topsiders the same thing as docksiders or boat shoes? I wore those with no socks on the non-formal nights.

LOL, is there such a thing as "dress" sandals? Reminds me of Survivor's Rupert talking about his "dress jeans".

Yes, there are men's sandals much nicer than a pair of rubber soled Tevas or Nikes. These will have leather soles with the same wood stacked heel as a men's pair of dress shoes and cost $200-$500 a pair.

They will be fine as long as you don't wear socks:p

Archived