Port Canaveral votes to stop issuing permits to park-and-rides

cespo

This is just simply hard to understand even more so after reading this. http://www.portcanaveral.com/general/news/releases/11012011.php

Didn't they just build additional parking?

BINGO! It isn't even finished yet! They are trying to run all of their competition out of business, so we're forced to park in their facility! Their prices keep going up, and they have started charging for 8 days, for a 7 day cruise as well. I too, won't be sailing out of Port Canaveral again anytime soon. This is an example of your government at work! Truly sad! I wish all the cruise ships would pull out of Port Canaveral!

"SKY"

Definitely a lame move by the Port Authority, sounds like the private consultant did a good job and scared the commission quite a bit. What a shame. Hopefully hotels will get an exception for dropping off their guests.

Any form of shuttles regardless if it is from the airport, hotels, private parking will be effected with this charge of $50.00 every time they enter the port. Drop offs & pickups. Port has contract with one taxi company AAA and they are the only ones allow to go through.

The town is getting greedy... build on, make more parking available in hopes to make more $$$. Let's raise the price... double charge on disembarkment and enbarkment days.. (you leave---I arrive).

The "customers" (we are since we pay for a service) are looking for the best deals.

Now that we found what we like. Door to door service. Less costly, friendly service and etc.

Cathy

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm cruising from Canaveral in August so it could affect us. Here's a slightly more updated article that says it goes into effect October 1st.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20120621/BUSINESS/306210034/Port-Canaveral-cuts-off-new-parking-competitors

Its instructive to note that there was never a consideration of lowering their parking fee to compete or running a more efficient operation.

Its instructive to note that there was never a consideration of lowering their parking fee to compete or running a more efficient operation.

Why should they?

Personally I think it's much better to just park at the port than have to schlepp luggage in and out of a shuttle to park off-site. It's more conveinent and more efficient, not to mention that my vehicle is in a secure, covered lot as opposed to the middle of a field or out in the sun in a parking lot.

My guess is that 99.9% of the people who say they won't cruise out of PC ever again will, as soon as they find a cruise that costs then $14 less than one out of another port. It's the Wal-Mart syndrome that is pervasive in this country.

They must be taking lessons from Disney:rolleyes: Raise the price, they still come, then declare less than anticipated revenues:D

. . . It's more conveinent and more efficient, not to mention that my vehicle is in a secure, covered lot as opposed to the middle of a field or out in the sun in a parking lot.

"Covered" for only one of the three parking lots for three separate CCl ships, and actually not so secure (thus the wording on the parking slip issued).

Any form of shuttles regardless if it is from the airport, hotels, private parking will be effected with this charge of $50.00 every time they enter the port . . .

But there are some exceptions.

"Covered" for only one of the three parking lots for three separate CCl ships, and actually not so secure (thus the wording on the parking slip issued).

Still, better to park on pavement than in a field running over who knows what on the way in or out. And there's no guarantee that there is any security in that field overnight, however there is most definitely 24/7 security at the port.

Additionally, some of those "shuttle" vehicles are sketchy at best in terms of maintenance.

Why should they?

Personally I think it's much better to just park at the port than have to schlepp luggage in and out of a shuttle to park off-site. It's more conveinent and more efficient, not to mention that my vehicle is in a secure, covered lot as opposed to the middle of a field or out in the sun in a parking lot.

My guess is that 99.9% of the people who say they won't cruise out of PC ever again will, as soon as they find a cruise that costs then $14 less than one out of another port. It's the Wal-Mart syndrome that is pervasive in this country.

Actually in my most recent experience I did not have to lift my luggage after bringing them down to the hotel lobby so my experience in that manner was better than parking and the port. It was more of a valet experience for us with special touch added by a great driver. As far as security the hotel had that and besides I know that the last thing they want is reputation of cars being broken into in their lots.

Still, better to park on pavement than in a field running over who knows what on the way in or out. And there's no guarantee that there is any security in that field overnight, however there is most definitely 24/7 security at the port.

Additionally, some of those "shuttle" vehicles are sketchy at best in terms of maintenance.

I don't know your parking history, but most of us don't park in a field in an unsecured area. Most of us are cost concious as well.

I don't know your parking history, but most of us don't park in a field in an unsecured area. Most of us are cost concious as well.

I leave my house, drop my luggage with the porters, park in the deck. Couldn't be easier, safer, or more secure.

most of the off-site places are fields (except the hotels of course.) And you're kidding yourselves if you think vehicles don't get broken into in hotel parking lots.

As far as cost-conscious, you're spending thousands to take a cruise and complaining about an extra $50 a week in parking costs? I just don't get it.

I leave my house, drop my luggage with the porters, park in the deck. Couldn't be easier, safer, or more secure.

most of the off-site places are fields (except the hotels of course.) And you're kidding yourselves if you think vehicles don't get broken into in hotel parking lots.

As far as cost-conscious, you're spending thousands to take a cruise and complaining about an extra $50 a week in parking costs? I just don't get it.

I guess it's not for you to get since you don't care..

A pain? It is a straight shot.

Yes it is a pain to get there from the airport....45 minutes at least from Orlando

Compare that to Fort Lauderdale...where the airport and cruiseport are only a few minutes away from each other

Miami is also much closer and easier

Why should they?

Covered lot!!!! Just where is a covered lot in Port Canaveral??? The port parking is just all just open lots!!

You are exactly correct. Why should they compete with the small businesses in the area, when they can just tax them out of business? That seems to be the way our government works lately,,,and they wonder why small business are all going away? :eek:

"SKY"

Many of us dont like to be ripped off. Charging $17 per day to park a car is a ripoff. All the car does is sit there for a week.

The extra $ 70 would buy us a mighty fine meal in most restaurants we would go to. And very often 2

Many of us dont like to be ripped off. Charging $17 per day to park a car is a ripoff. All the car does is sit there for a week.

The extra $ 70 would buy us a mighty fine meal in most restaurants we would go to. And very often 2

It's not $17 a day, it's $15 a day. Please get your facts straight.

$70 for two meals in Cracker Barrel or Denny's maybe--if that's what you consider a fine meal, good for you. it still doesn't negate that fact that people spend thousands and thousands to cruise and then get upset over an extra $50 in parking costs.

$70 for two meals in Cracker Barrel or Denny's maybe--if that's what you consider a fine meal, good for you. it still doesn't negate that fact that people spend thousands and thousands to cruise and then get upset over an extra $50 in parking costs.

I've been trying to be good by not being negative. You may be financially stable enough to be 3 weeks on a charter recently, and a P. G. in the future, not nickel and dime cruises. We are average people, some doing insides just to cruise. Those parking fees might stand in the way for some of us. I was lucky last cruise, someone drove us to the port and back.

How come then the port sites says for a 4 day cruise, parking is $75...that's actually $18.75/day ...it says a 3 day cruise is $60. This is from the port's site:

"Whether you park in one of our terminal lots or parking garages, the rate* for the following cruises are: 3-day, $60; 4-day, $75; 5-day, $90, and 7-day, $120 for vehicles up to 20 feet in length. For vehicles longer than 20 feet, the rates are $104, $130, $156 and $208 respectively.

Preferred Parking is offered at Cruise Terminal 8 and is located right next to the terminal, the rate is $20.00 more than the standard parking rates, regardless of cruise length."

I've been trying to be good by not being negative. You may be financially stable enough to be 3 weeks on a charter recently, and a P. G. in the future, not nickel and dime cruises. We are average people, some doing insides just to cruise. Those parking fees might stand in the way for some of us. I was lucky last cruise, someone drove us to the port and back.

It was two weeks, not three.

I'm an average person as well. You'll notice that we take a long time between cruises instead of cruising two and three times a year like some people do. We do this so that we can afford to cruise on ships that suit us and for longer or more expensive trips. The point remains, $50 shouldn't be a big deal when someone has spent thousands for the cruise and related costs.

Archived