The ending to Ivan's 'Fine Story'

Lynda S

Hi everyone-

I just heard from Ivan the scoop on what happened with the fine that the Mexican Tourism Authorities imposed on his company, and thought I would pass it along to everyone who was concerned.

First off, he asked me to please express his thanks to all of you who were concerned about this, especially those that offered to take up a collection - that was so nice!

Basically, the report was not made against Ivan's company, it was made against one of the transportation companies that they hired, but it was made out to Ivan's company as that was the only name the Tourism Authority had. Ivan spend a week and a half away from his guiding digging to the bottom of this, and in the end, straightened it out last week. The tourism authority has now fined the proper company, and David and Ivan are back at work happily guiding. Neither he nor David think it was an unhappy customer, but rather they think this may have something to do with the ones that consider them 'the competition'. It seems a few people in Majahaul think that the way to get a business going is to wreck someone else's business.

I myself can't understand this, negative energy is such a waste - there is PLENTY of business to go around in that port and all one has to do is offer a good product and do a bit of marketing to get the company off of the ground. Once everyone experiences a 'good' product, word of mouth and the internet will do the rest - as we have seen in Ivan and David's case.

I was happy to hear that it was resolved, I was ready to send off a check for some of it to him as well as it would have been a shame had they not been allowed to guide. The Mexican authorities are apparently pretty tough on these matters, in order to continue the business one must pay those fines immediately.

I only wish Ivan's company would have been up and running in Dec when we were there, as even though I saw Chacchoben (by the vans at the pier) I had NO idea what I was looking at, and that takes away from the experience. And only having one hour with 15 min of that being wasted trying to hire a guide (they had none left) was way too short.

Looking on the bright side - we'll just have to go back on another cruise and book Ivan and David then!

this is good news........thanks for passing it on to us!

I have David and Ivan booked for December - too long to wait and now anxious that they will give up with all this harrassment and stop giving tours........this is one I would really hate to miss and the reason I'm looking forward to Costa Maya

and I can't understand the backstabbing either.......it's a double-edged sword.........if people come to Mahahual and have a wonderful time with Ivan, then they might be inclined to look for Costa Maya when planning their next trip and book something new or maybe spread the work and make others interested in visiting ........giving visitors a negative impression might cause a negative refection on the whole port and that would be suicidal when they are just getting started

Like you said, there is plenty of business to go round - they just have to make sure that they don't scare people away

Destiny Dog- I'd give it a few days for a response, I know time is short for you, but there are very few computers in the area and it may take a day or two for either Ivan or David to get their email. They do try to check it daily though whenever they can, so it shouldn't be more than a day or two. Let us know when you get a response!

Archived