Trip Insurance and Missed Flights

kibutzer

With the recent degradation of service with United Airlines and traveling to Rome two days before Thanksgiving we are now concerned about making it to port in time.

We have always booked our own flights with points and arrive a day early. I am now concerned that if we miss our connection we will be stuck and not arrive in time to get to the port before sailing. I know I am very pessimistic but recently a friend of mine was traveling to Australia and it took her two and half days to get out of LA dues to each United plane she was put on had mechanical problems.

Has anyone had to use trip insurance for something like this? I have looked into getting an earlier flight but the airline keeps canceling the first leg and moving us up to later flights in the day.

We are leaving for a two week plus cruise beginning in Rome in late September. We always purchase trip insurance but mainly for health reasons. The coverage however protects us from flight interruption, baggage loss and a few other travel related costs should we experience a delay. The insurance does not cover the cost of flight because, like you we use points for air travel. Depending upon coverage thresholds sought it can be expensive. There are many travelers who have traveled without it and have had no problems. It is a matter of choice. We prefer not to worry about missing a flight or having to cancel due to unexpected illness. Our 15 day cruise is in excess of $12K and the insurance was about $1,300.

QUOTE=kibutzer;34275827]With the recent degradation of service with United Airlines and traveling to Rome two days before Thanksgiving we are now concerned about making it to port in time.

We have always booked our own flights with points and arrive a day early. I am now concerned that if we miss our connection we will be stuck and not arrive in time to get to the port before sailing. I know I am very pessimistic but recently a friend of mine was traveling to Australia and it took her two and half days to get out of LA dues to each United plane she was put on had mechanical problems.

Has anyone had to use trip insurance for something like this? I have looked into getting an earlier flight but the airline keeps canceling the first leg and moving us up to later flights in the day.

Maybe I'm naive, but I use our TA for our air flights, whether booked through O or not. If I missed an initial flight, even a day or two before sailing, I'd be on the phone with my TA (or with O, if booked through them) immediately for assistance to ensure I arrived in time for sailing.

That said, we do pay for trip insurance. It's impossible to say you will absolutely be sailing on a specific day a year, or more, in advance. Life sometimes has a way of changing even the best made plans. If I've spent upwards of $10K for a cruise, the additional amount paid for trip insurance is for peace of mind (after all, isn't that one of the main things a vacation is meant to bring?).

Hello,

As I have stated we are using points to meet our TA in Rome in November. I appreciate people suggesting to contact TA but they are not in the equation when you use points. So has anyone missed flights when on points tickets and how easy was it to get to the port on time?

I wouldn't have any concerns except United/Continental performance stinks now that the merger occurred.

then fly in a couple of days early or call the airline where you are using points (United/Continental) and ask them their policy regarding this scenario. They have to have a stated policy.

Hello,

As I have stated we are using points to meet our TA in Rome in November. I appreciate people suggesting to contact TA but they are not in the equation when you use points. So has anyone missed flights when on points tickets and how easy was it to get to the port on time?

I wouldn't have any concerns except United/Continental performance stinks now that the merger occurred.

We always fly in at least one day early to ensure that we board on time. On our last cruise, we flew into London 3 days early for an "extra" vacation and had a great time. If you're leaving from a city that you enjoy, it's often worth it if you have the time.

Archived