NCL Jewel or Gem..for entertainment ??

vicnkojo

I am trying to choose which has the best entertainment,from the website it seems Gem.. Because jewel only has 3 items listed minus the kids nick stuff... But on reviews it seems jewel ?? Any firsthand experiences?? Thanks!!

We've never been on the Gem, but we liked the entertainment on the Jewel (went May 26-June 2).

We thought most of the main stage shows were worth attending, also the magician and hypnotist. They each did a night on the main stage, but also had other appearances around the ship.

Fire & Ice was a great soul duo, really talented singer who was like the second coming of Tina Turner.

I thought it was kind of odd that they didn't have a true comedian. The magician was billed as a comic-magician, and he was funny. But it's not the same as having a comic or two or three like most ships I've been on.

Since they're sister ships, I assume they're virtually identical physically. If so, the Gem will share the problem I had with the Jewel. The seats in the main theater were like flying coach. No leg room and kind of a PITA when someone wants to get by. Most ships I've been on had a lot more room in the theater.

Jim

I am trying to choose which has the best entertainment,from the website it seems Gem.. Because jewel only has 3 items listed minus the kids nick stuff... But on reviews it seems jewel ?? Any firsthand experiences?? Thanks!!

Based on my 4/11 sailing on the Gem and 11/11 sailing on the Jewel, I thought the entertainment was much better on the Jewel. I did enjoy the Gem's entertainment as well though and would still pick the Gem over the Jewel for the Spa and Bliss lounge.

This raises a question. Does NCL determine the entertainment on each ship or does the cruise director on each ship determine what acts are booked? I've seen some of the same acts on different cruise lines and wondered that....or if there is some booking agency that books the shows on all cruise lines.

We've been on the Gem, not the Jewel, and liked the entertainment. This was on a different itinerary from the one the Gem is on now..

From what I have been told by entertainers I know that perform on ships, the cruise line determines who is booked.

I loved the entertainment on the Gem.

This raises a question. Does NCL determine the entertainment on each ship or does the cruise director on each ship determine what acts are booked? I've seen some of the same acts on different cruise lines and wondered that....or if there is some booking agency that books the shows on all cruise lines.

We've been on the Gem, not the Jewel, and liked the entertainment. This was on a different itinerary from the one the Gem is on now..

NCL has started producing their own shows in the last year. I think that the CD gets the entertainers and shows "pushed" to them from Corporate. On board activities using the CD's staff seem to be at the discretion of the CD.

Thanks Jim for your help..Big help.. i will bring my knee guards .

:)

But were you ever bored.. were there alot of empty spots where there is nothing to do on the ship? that happened to us on the carnival imagination.. it was only a weekender. very very inexpensive , not companing, but i did catch a stomach virus.. food was way too cold, and im talking the coffee..and main meals, but it was a much much aged ship..at least to me. i enjoyed every other cruise since.

yes Hokiepoq.. im kinda leaning towards the Gem... but im kinda booked on the jewel, th egem i notice is more updated, reminds me of a mini epic.. some of the same shows are on the Gem i can see.. thanks. love all the help!

As of last weeks sailing on the Gem.....Second City and Rex Heaven were great. Donovan & Rebecca were OK, but couldn't match last years Man From Mars

thank you Laslo for ur info...thanks everyone!! big help!

But were you ever bored.. were there alot of empty spots where there is nothing to do on the ship?

I was never bored, but I'm often glad to just kick back with a book. It seems to me there were always multiple activities going on, some we enjoyed and some not really up my alley (I don't need some "master shopper" telling us where to go in port; essentially it's the stores that give them kickbacks).

I'm pretty sure both ships would be the same in terms of how much is going on.

Jim

Archived