Is food on EPIC "American"?

ezgoer123

We are sailing on August 8th out of Rome and wanted to know if the packaged food (Cereal,peanut butter, cream cheese, ice cream, bagels, etc) were familiar "American" brands or European brands?

Thanks

Don't take this the wrong way but other than peanut butter (I have had some pretty awful peanut butter in Europe) why would it matter?

To get back to the question - I would assume it depends on where they take on their supplies. Hopefully someone can supply an answer for you.

Don't take this the wrong way but other than peanut butter (I have had some pretty awful peanut butter in Europe) why would it matter?

To get back to the question - I would assume it depends on where they take on their supplies. Hopefully someone can supply an answer for you.

Food allergens are reported differently outside of the US, for one thing.

It has been my experience that on European cruises that non-perishable packaged items (Cereal, etc.) are the usually available American brands and the perishable items (milk, cream, butter, etc.) are locally procured.

I believe all provisioning is done from Miami of non-perishable food stuffs and they are shipped to whichever European port where the ship embarks.

It has been my experience that on European cruises that non-perishable packaged items (Cereal, etc.) are the usually available American brands and the perishable items (milk, cream, butter, etc.) are locally procured.

I believe all provisioning is done from Miami of non-perishable food stuffs and they are shipped to whichever European port where the ship embarks.

Yep, UPS drops off a container of stuff at reprovisioning ports. We watched first hand in Lisbon, just the perishables are local.

As an American who lives in France I'm hoping for Lucky Charm and they don't sell that anywhere in Europe as far as I know. So pleaaaaaase procure cereal in America ;-)

You will recognize the cereal brands. I don't recall if Lucky Charms was an option though.

Food allergens are reported differently outside of the US, for one thing.

Since OP did not indicate that food allergies was a problem I would not have guessed that but I guess it's a possibility. Anyway I think they got some useful answers which make sense (like perishables being locally sourced).

As an American who lives in France I'm hoping for Lucky Charm and they don't sell that anywhere in Europe as far as I know. So pleaaaaaase procure cereal in America ;-)

Get cozy with your ROLL CALL and perhaps someone will bring a box with them from the states. :D

Since OP did not indicate that food allergies was a problem I would not have guessed that but I guess it's a possibility. Anyway I think they got some useful answers which make sense (like perishables being locally sourced).

Only reason I thought of food allergens is because it's always interesting to take DD and DH to Europe... DH's allergic to milk and peanuts, DD is allergic to peanuts and shellfish. Paris (the center of all things made from milk or butter or cheese) was a gastronomic adventure, to say the least! *laughing*

When I get imported food here in town, they have a sticker added to the label to meet US labeling requirements.

Not an allergy issue but OP posted on another thread that it was a kosher issue.

Not an allergy issue but OP posted on another thread that it was a kosher issue.

Thanks for that. I was wondering if that was the reason (I am also a kosher cruiser).

OP, I can add further that NCL does offer pre-packaged kosher meals with at least 30 days' notice, and they do a very good job of it. They can also accomodate you with double-wrapped fish and vegetables if your degree of kosher observance permits.

The maitre d' on my sailing was very knowledgeable and friendly with regard to kosher. You should be able to approach him/her onboard for specifics on which brands of bagels, cream cheese, peanut butter etc. are used and even show you the packaging.

As to whether American brands are used on European sailings, I do not know, but maybe someone from a recent European sailing can advise.

lol! There is a shop in Amsterdam that specializes in US food, like cereal brands, pop tarts, cookie brands, etc. They wanted about 3x the US prices for things, but there was a demand. On occasion this friend will ask me to ship him some things, or when he comes over he'll bring a couple of extra suitcases. On one trip the customs agents at Schipohl pilfered his Oreos. :eek:

On one trip the customs agents at Schipohl pilfered his Oreos. :eek:

Luckily (or sadly, not sure) Oreos are readily available now in Europe. And listen up NCL, if there are no Lucky Charms on the Epic I WILL GO BACK TO CARNIVAL because they have the good sense to feed my charming vacation craving ;-)

With due respect, Europe is no back water and we have most internationally branded products available in the UK and beyond.

This'll blow your socks off

We even have McDonalds !!!!

How do labels denote kosher preparation in Europe?

(and I've eaten in a McDonald's at La Defense in Paris... not as many choices as a US menu for entrees, but the separate coffee bar with chocolate patisseries was fabulous! The leather seating also took a while to be brought to my suburb in middle America.)

How do labels denote kosher preparation in Europe?

(and I've eaten in a McDonald's at La Defense in Paris... not as many choices as a US menu for entrees, but the separate coffee bar with chocolate patisseries was fabulous! The leather seating also took a while to be brought to my suburb in middle America.)

I'm sorry but I can't help you with the Kosher question. However there are literally millions of people that eat Kosher all over Europe so you will have no problem.

Europe is the most cosmoplitan continent on the planet I would guess with people from every corner of the globe and all of them have their own homely foods available (pretty much).

In England, due to the influx of our European cousins from the likes of Poland and Lithuania and Bulgaria in recent years we now have superstores selling Polish foods, Lithuanian foods and Bulgarian foods for example. Western Europeans pretty much eat the similar foods and/or brands as each other.

I cannot see any American struggling with food in Europe, particularly on a cruise ship.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with the Kosher question. However there are literally millions of people that eat Kosher all over Europe so you will have no problem.

Europe is the most cosmoplitan continent on the planet I would guess with people from every corner of the globe and all of them have their own homely foods available (pretty much).

In England, due to the influx of our European cousins from the likes of Poland and Lithuania and Bulgaria in recent years we now have superstores selling Polish foods, Lithuanian foods and Bulgarian foods for example. Western Europeans pretty much eat the similar foods and/or brands as each other.

I cannot see any American struggling with food in Europe, particularly on a cruise ship.

If you have a special diet, It's not that simple.

On a cruise ship, you're limited to the food they have on board. Whatever wide variety of food may be available on land won't help you. Thus the need to do research ahead of time.

I can understand OP's question. American brands may represent a known quantity regarding kosher status, so maybe they want to stick with what they know. But I would recommend another solution: NCL offers pre-packaged kosher meals, that are quite good.

Are you based in Europe? Your response seems to indicate that you take offense to the question from the OP, while not understanding or recognizing that Europe does things differently from the US in practice.

It is unknown if labels of kosher certifications are as prevalent to see on European food products. I know that smaller, targeted markets are preferred and widespread in Europe, which is different from the US--which prides itself on the "bigger is better" markets with 2 million plus food products (even in the neighborhood supermarkets). It's a different approach to food in Europe.

And to your point, dwjoe, we're on the "order your food ahead of time" plan on cruises... it gets old. What about when you're off the ship in Europe on the all day excursions to Rome and Pompeii? Is there anything packaged that you can take with you from the ship? The dietary requirements you have are more strict than what I'm working with (I just try not to kill my kid or husband ;) ), and I am intimidated by the logistics you need to coordinate.

And to your point, dwjoe, we're on the "order your food ahead of time" plan on cruises... it gets old. What about when you're off the ship in Europe on the all day excursions to Rome and Pompeii? Is there anything packaged that you can take with you from the ship? The dietary requirements you have are more strict than what I'm working with (I just try not to kill my kid or husband ;) ), and I am intimidated by the logistics you need to coordinate.

LadyShiva, I've only cruised in the Caribbean, I'm happy to share my experiences and I realize degrees of kosher observance vary. What I usually do on port days is either a) go back to the ship for lunch or b) eat a big breakfast and make do with a bagel brought from home for lunch. The ship was not able to pack a lunch for me to take ashore.

Europe would have more kosher food available than the Caribbean, but the challenge would be trying to find and get to it on the go. If you're touring on your own you can probably find something suitable in a supermarket or kosher restaurant, but if you're on an all-day group excursion it would be tricky.

Are you based in Europe? Your response seems to indicate that you take offense to the question from the OP, while not understanding or recognizing that Europe does things differently from the US in practice.

It is unknown if labels of kosher certifications are as prevalent to see on European food products. I know that smaller, targeted markets are preferred and widespread in Europe, which is different from the US--which prides itself on the "bigger is better" markets with 2 million plus food products (even in the neighborhood supermarkets). It's a different approach to food in Europe.

I don't take offence at all.

By the way, this "nut allergy" thing seems very popular nowadays.

No one seemed to suffer in the 60s, 70s 80s or 90s

Archived