News Alert icon

namaste1223

A couple of months ago there was a very irate poster on these boards who was upset about missing her cruise because of Mardi Gras events in New Orleans. She felt that NCL was wrong in not notifying passengers about an event that could cause delays in getting to the pier on time. There was much discussion at the time about NCL's responsibility regarding this. Well, I was just on the NCL website (parts of which have apparently been down for maintenance for several days and are still down). I noticed a News Alert icon on the home page. Assuming it might have something to do with the weather in Florida, I clicked on it. The News Alert was informing cruise passengers that the Miami Heat victory parade is taking place on the same day as the Norwegian Sky's departure and might cause delays in getting to the Port of Miami so cruisers should plan accordingly. I wonder if this is in response to what happened in New Orleans? Will it be a regular feature from now on if NCL has information about an event that could affect port traffic? Bravo to NCL for trying to be responsive to passengers' concerns, but I hope they haven't opened a can of worms. Time will tell...

It's a nice gesture on their part, if they know of something. But I do hope that doesn't cause people to blame them if they don't know something is going on.

As for the past poster that was upset about missing their cruise. Even an alert like this would not have aleviated that problem since, if my memory serves me correctly, that wasn't only because Mardi Gras was happening in New Orleans but a last minute weather situation had them scheduling numerous things on that day that were not originally planned or not known ahead of time.

It's a nice gesture on their part, if they know of something. But I do hope that doesn't cause people to blame them if they don't know something is going on.

As for the past poster that was upset about missing their cruise. Even an alert like this would not have aleviated that problem since, if my memory serves me correctly, that wasn't only because Mardi Gras was happening in New Orleans but a last minute weather situation had them scheduling numerous things on that day that were not originally planned or not known ahead of time.

Nope it was strictly traffic. They flew in the day of the cruise not knowing that Mardi Gras was going on. The inbound side of the highway, from the airport, was at a dead stop almost alll the way out to the airport. We got off the Spirit that morning and had to walk about 13 blocks to catch a cab. The weather issues were that it had rained most of the previous week canceling a few parades and they were all rescheduled for that Sunday which made a real mess of all traffic patterns. There was only supposed to be 3 parades that day and I think they had about 9 of them which is pretty non stop for the whole day.

John

Nope it was strictly traffic. They flew in the day of the cruise not knowing that Mardi Gras was going on. The inbound side of the highway, from the airport, was at a dead stop almost alll the way out to the airport. We got off the Spirit that morning and had to walk about 13 blocks to catch a cab. The weather issues were that it had rained most of the previous week canceling a few parades and they were all rescheduled for that Sunday which made a real mess of all traffic patterns. There was only supposed to be 3 parades that day and I think they had about 9 of them which is pretty non stop for the whole day.

John

The poster also drove in from Mississippi the day of the cruise... which is where I thought they lost all justification for being upset at anything but themselves.

The poster also drove in from Mississippi the day of the cruise... which is where I thought they lost all justification for being upset at anything but themselves.

I believe the poster we have been talking about flew in and was stuck in that traffic from the airport.

John

The irate traveller was from Mississippi, was driving to NOLA from home and should've known mardis Gras was happening and had real case to be complaining to NCL for having missed the ship because they got stuck in traffic when they didn't get there a day earlier. The thread is no longer with us. It got rather......contentious.

I believe the poster we have been talking about flew in and was stuck in that traffic from the airport.

John

No, another person on that cruise piped up that they had flown in the night before and made the cruise on an NCL transfer.

I took note that the OP drove in from MS, because I've done that drive many times... on a GOOD day, it's not something I would do if I needed to be on a ship at 4 pm. Mardi Gras traffic does NOT count as a "good day"! Even trying to get to NOLA from Brookhaven during Mardi Gras... that wasn't a good plan.

John

The irate traveller was from Mississippi, was driving to NOLA from home and should've known mardis Gras was happening and had real case to be complaining to NCL for having missed the ship because they got stuck in traffic when they didn't get there a day earlier. The thread is no longer with us. It got rather......contentious.

Oh yes it is

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1576362&highlight=mardi+gras

Why not just say Beetlejuice 3 times while you're at it, che????

Hey I wasn't the one that brought this back the OP did that. And it was you and John that were debating on the exact facts. I was just confirming the facts with the thread.

Hey I wasn't the one that brought this back the OP did that. And it was you and John that were debating on the exact facts. I was just confirming the facts with the thread.

*laughing*

I'm just glad that thread finally got locked... Holy moly, that was a hot one!

Archived