Skagway -Steam Train and Car Rental- Is this doable?

Sam&Joe25th

Hi All,

My wife and I will be in Skagway port on Sept 7th from 7am-9pm.

Our first cruise and first time in Alaska for our 25th wedding anniversary.

I am completely addicted to these baords and appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.

What I need is advice on timing.

We really enjoy Steam Engines and are looking forward to the Frasier trip with WPYR. However, we have read here on CC where so many recommend renting a car and driving the Klondike Highway to Emerald Lake. We also enjoy going off on our own and being able to stop where we want to enjoy scenery.

The Steam Train is listed as a noon departure and lasts 4hrs.

We will book on our own and, per WPYR, are to be at Depot 30min before - so 11:30-4pm.

Avis car rental opens at 8am and closes at 8pm (which would be when we assume we need to be getting back to ship anyway)

Is it feasible to get car rental and drive to Emerald Lake and back either before train, which would be 8am-11:30 or after train, which would be 4pm-8pm?

How much time should we allow for good sight seeing during drive?

Would we be too rushed trying the drive in 3 or 4 hours?

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated!

Probably too rushed, this is poor timing. Emerald Lake is 150 miles round trip. It isn't a freeway. :) If you plan on any stops, they would have to be brief and limited.

Overall it is recommended to allow 5 hours for the drive. I have taken all day on some trips. :)

I agree with BQ, timing would not work. Could you push your train back to about 4pm? (usually the cruise lines offer multiple times) Then you would have time to drive to Emerald Lake and back, the 5 hour RT estimate is pretty good. You would have time for the drive and a short exploration of town before the train ride.

Thanks BQ and DH! Pretty much what I thought.

Unfortunately, the Steam Engine only runs at noon, we could consider taking an earlier train but it only goes to The Summit where the Steam Engine goes to Frasier.

Have either of you or anyone, done both Steam to Frasier and the diesel to Summit? Would we really miss anything by only going to Summit on the diesel?

Would it be worth it to be able to take the drive as well?

Or, would doing both be redundant since the road pretty much follows the tracks anyway?

Curse you CC folks - you guys make me think about this too much :) Totally kidding! I would be doing over crowded ship excursions and paying way to much if it weren't for you experts!

Thanks!

Thanks BQ and DH! Pretty much what I thought.

Unfortunately, the Steam Engine only runs at noon, we could consider taking an earlier train but it only goes to The Summit where the Steam Engine goes to Frasier.

Have either of you or anyone, done both Steam to Frasier and the diesel to Summit? Would we really miss anything by only going to Summit on the diesel?

Would it be worth it to be able to take the drive as well?

Or, would doing both be redundant since the road pretty much follows the tracks anyway?

Curse you CC folks - you guys make me think about this too much :) Totally kidding! I would be doing over crowded ship excursions and paying way to much if it weren't for you experts!

Thanks!

If steam is the interest, then the "regular" run isn't going to cut it. I've taken the steam and it's excellent. Despite some posts, the Klondike Highway does NOT have more than a couple miles of common views. The scenery by rail is superior.

Any of your choices would give you an excellent day. I certainly can't decide for you. Take your time, and think this through, Add to the mix the Late Bennett train, if a rail fan, perhaps?

I missed the fact you were on the Steam train. If that is your main priorty you are going to have to make some choices to take that one, I did it years ago. If you can give up the Steam and just want to do the train switchng to the later one would alow you to do the drive also. The other way to look at it you now have a reason to come back to Alaska again. I used to love taking photos of teh Steam engine as it pulled out of Skagway.

If you're a big steam fan be sure you put on your wish list a trip on the Durango and Silverton in Colorado. I really enjoyed my day on that one :)

Hi Doug,

Yeah, We have been to Colorado twice but never got to the Durango. We always have trouble getting away from the Rocky Mountain State Park - just so beautuful there. But definately need to get it in next time.

We have done Cass Scenic RR in WV several times (originally from there-now in North Carolina) Guess we just thought it would be more "rustic" and "historic" to do the Steam but now considering changing to earlier diesel.

New dilemia is if renting car on our own would be better than booking van tour with Dyea Dave - he will give us a tour of Skagway and up to Emerald Lake and back, drop us at the Frasier train depot to take train back to Skagway. One way on train is 82.00pp and the DD tour is 79.00pp for a total of 161.00pp - and Fraser Steam round trip was gonna $155.00.

So no big price difference and get the best of both without having to drive ourselves, with one of us having to keep eyes on the road (or at least trying too)

Thoughts?

Hi Doug,

Yeah, We have been to Colorado twice but never got to the Durango. We always have trouble getting away from the Rocky Mountain State Park - just so beautuful there. But definately need to get it in next time.

We have done Cass Scenic RR in WV several times (originally from there-now in North Carolina) Guess we just thought it would be more "rustic" and "historic" to do the Steam but now considering changing to earlier diesel.

New dilemia is if renting car on our own would be better than booking van tour with Dyea Dave - he will give us a tour of Skagway and up to Emerald Lake and back, drop us at the Frasier train depot to take train back to Skagway. One way on train is 82.00pp and the DD tour is 79.00pp for a total of 161.00pp - and Fraser Steam round trip was gonna $155.00.

So no big price difference and get the best of both without having to drive ourselves, with one of us having to keep eyes on the road (or at least trying too)

Thoughts?

You are making way more of the drive than what is reality. The driver certainly has excellent expansive viewing. It's a simple 2 lane, slow road. pull offs frequently. EASY to go on your own. "Necessary" is to purchase Murray's Guide.

As I mention, a top rail choice is the Lake Bennett train, just excellent. :)

Hi Doug,

Thoughts?

Personally I like the idea of a tour because someone is there to give yo ua run down of the area you are going through. I know it is more expensive but it is much more relaxing for everyone and more informative generally, to go on a tour. We decided to do train up and van tour back. But we havn't done this one yet so I can't give you specifics. I do know that the smaller tours sell out so don't leave it too late to make a decision. :)

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts!

Budget Queen- The Lake Bennett trip does seem nice, but according to WPYR sight that train only departs Skagway on Wed, Thurs and Sat. We are there on a Friday, plus we really want the opportunity make stops, get out and walk around a bit.

Paddingtonbear - Yeah, the more I read Dyea Dave's sight and CC/TripAdvisor reviews, the more I like the idea of touring with and "expert". This is probably the route we are going to go.

IN FACT, we are considering doing only the van tour, up and back, with him and not the train at all. Do you think we would we miss out on a significant difference in scenery, Train vs, Road? It looks as though the road pretty much parallels the tracks.

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts!

Budget Queen- The Lake Bennett trip does seem nice, but according to WPYR sight that train only departs Skagway on Wed, Thurs and Sat. We are there on a Friday, plus we really want the opportunity make stops, get out and walk around a bit.

Paddingtonbear - Yeah, the more I read Dyea Dave's sight and CC/TripAdvisor reviews, the more I like the idea of touring with and "expert". This is probably the route we are going to go.

IN FACT, we are considering doing only the van tour, up and back, with him and not the train at all. Do you think we would we miss out on a significant difference in scenery, Train vs, Road? It looks as though the road pretty much parallels the tracks.

The Lake Bennet train runs in the other direction different days. You do get a van/bus tour included as this train is one way.

Since you are asking, yes, you do miss some scenery if you don't go on the train. There are many variations that all are great, depending on the interests.

The comments about a guide being superior, isn't really taking into consideration a master piece mile log written and available cheaply online- Murrary's Guide. This is far more extensive than some guides actually. :) The beauty is the ability to stop when and where you wish. The scenery is endless and overwhelming- bring your binoculars and LOOK. It's a splendid journey any way you consider it. :)

i am contemplating the same thing. decided on dyea dave both ways (diamond princess aug 18 out of vancouver).

having an actual person to listen to seems superior to reading from a guide. not to mention less worry for not renting a car - although i am thinking about that for ketchikan.

any ideas for ketchikan and whittier to anchorage travel to airport on last day?

i am contemplating the same thing. decided on dyea dave both ways (diamond princess aug 18 out of vancouver).

having an actual person to listen to seems superior to reading from a guide. not to mention less worry for not renting a car - although i am thinking about that for ketchikan.

any ideas for ketchikan and whittier to anchorage travel to airport on last day?

You are getting a car rental in Ketchikan? Drive to Totem Bight, you do need to consider printing out and bringing the totem guide with you. Next door is Potlatch Park. Drive to Ward Lake, hike Preserverence Trail, just excellent. :)

What time is your flight? There are cruise contracted buses, and various independent buses- some with some touring. listings http://www.anchorage.net

If you have an overnight flight, although costly- it makes the best use of your short time to rent a car with Avis. Plenty you can include and easy to then just drive yourself to the airport. Anchorage needs a 2 hour window for flights.

Archived