chilkoot tour or frontier excursions tour Skagway

omgneecola

I highly recommend Chilkoot. We toured with them 2 weeks ago, and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Take the train up (sit on the left) and the bus back down. We did the 12:00 trip so we didn't have to rush off the ship in the morning, and we had some time in town before (and after) the tour.

I highly recommend Chilkoot. We toured with them 2 weeks ago, and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Take the train up (sit on the left) and the bus back down. We did the 12:00 trip so we didn't have to rush off the ship in the morning, and we had some time in town before (and after) the tour.

This sounds nice. What was the price? I can't find anything on their website.

This sounds nice. What was the price? I can't find anything on their website.

You should probably contact Chilkoot Charters directly to confirm, but this was what I was told:

White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion (lunch is not included with this excursion)

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM (Train first)

Departure: 8:30AM & 1:00PM (Bus first)

Cost: $123.00 Adult $73.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser & return to Skagway

It's about $50 more for the Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion (7.5 hrs).

Highly recommend Chilkoot Charters, we used them in June and did the Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion (my review on tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g60877-d1556687-r132631069-Chilkoot_Charters_Tours-Skagway_Alaska.html#REVIEWS) Here are the current prices:

Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion (lunch included)

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM (Depart Skagway by train)

Departure: 8:30AM (Depart Skagway by bus)

Cost: $176.00 Adult $116.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch Included: BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, dinner roll, cake doughnuts, coffee, tea, water

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum and Husky Puppy Camp also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion With 15 Minute Dogsled Ride (lunch included)

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM (Depart Skagway by train)

Departure: 8:30AM (Depart Skagway by bus)

Cost: $208.00 Adult $148.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch Included: BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, dinner roll, cake doughnuts, coffee, tea, water

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, Husky Puppy Camp and the 15-minute dogcart ride also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

Carcross Bus & Rail Excursion (lunch included)

Duration: 9 Hours (May 30-August 31, 2012 Tues. thru Sat. only)

For the 2012 season the Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion operates as follows:

Northbound train on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

Southbound train on Tuesdays and Fridays

Departure: 7:30AM

Cost: $239 Adult $119 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch: Mulligan stew, homemade bread, coleslaw, apple pie. Lunch is at Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall. Parks Canada Interpretive Displays and self guided walking tour also included

Itinerary: 2 1/2 hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett – 1 1/2 hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett– 1 hour by train to Carcross – Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

Discover The Yukon Adventure (By bus only)

Duration: 7 Hours

Departure: 8:30AM

Cost: $99.00 Adult $67.00 Child (12 & Under)

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum and Husky Puppy Camp also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Carcross/Emerald Lake and return to

Skagway by bus

Discover The Yukon Adventure With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride (By bus only)

Duration: 7 Hours

Departure: 8:30AM

Cost: $129 Adults $96 Child (12 & Under)

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, Husky Puppy Camp and the 15-minute dogcart ride also

included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Carcross/Emerald Lake and return to

Skagway by bus

• 1 month later...
We chose Chilkoot for Sept due to good reviews. I haven't seen anything on Frontier.

I booked 7.5 hrs Yukon Bus/Train Combo with Chilkon for Sept. 5 (7:30 AM). What is your date and time of departure in September?

Does this need to be booked ahead? Or is it possible to do it that day?

These tours leave early morning. IF you want to consider walk up space, I suggest you call VERY early, and be ok with not going, if no space is available.

Frontier seems to be the new man on the block. Chilkoot was fortunate to build it business and reputation in Skagway. My guess is it was due a lot to CC. I know other vendors listed on here have also benefited from others coming back and sharing their experiences. Then others try them, return and share their experiences. Once a vendor gets a good reputation on a travel forum, others feel more comfortable trying them. I have not looked on Trip Advisor, but if considering Frontier, try looking up their reviews. (Avoid reviews by posters with few contributions though. They may or may not be legitimate reviews.) Also check the Better Business Bureau. If you do go with Frontier, make sure to write a review on TA, and/or include then in your trip report. CC does not allow you to start a thread to praise or complain about a company.

Another consideration: do you want a van-type experience or a big bus? I dislike big busses, the on and off makes me crazy. As others have said, most vendors in Skagway seem fine. I've used Dyea Dave (cheaper, lunch on your own) and his various spinoffs, Becky et. al. I would say tour is what you make of it. Train has its merits too. Just hope for clear weather.

Archived