Princess Lodges

drdaddy

I have been hearing less than outstanding reviews of the Princess Lodges.

I know, I know, there are many other places to stay and why do a cruisetour and be pinned down? I figure for the first time there, a cruisetour is safer and we are with a big group of doctors.

So, how is the Princess Denali and Princess Fairbanks? They look nice enough!

At least I have taken y'all's advice and have the Tundra tour. The tour in Fairbanks includes the Discovery Riverboat which I heard is pretty good.

Just curious about the lodges.

Thanks

All the Alaska Princess Lodges are beautiful!! The one in Fairbanks is conviently located on the river and is gorgeous and is in walking distance to two bars (one with dancing, one without, both classy night spots and resturants, Pike's and The Castle are the names. Also has a resturant and lounge on-site but not much atmosphere and a little more spendy...enjoy the walk at night and get out....it is light ALL NIGHT!!) and next to a one stop shopping center Fred Meyer so it is way convienent when it comes to picking up items for the duration of the trip. Also the Denali Princess is awsome. It is in the Denali village and is surrounded by beauty and things to do!! You will love them both!! GOOD LUCK!!

Here's a very different opinion, from someone who has spent way too many night at Princess lodges. It's rather like trying to relax in the middle of a 3-ring circus, with hundreds of people being herded every which way around you. Many independent tour groups used to stay at Princess lodges (which is why I used to stay at them, while guiding those groups) - I'm not aware of any that do anymore. The Princess Denali has new rooms and old rooms - some of the old ones are getting pretty rough.

Murray

I think Yukon's charactierization of the lodges is fair. In the morning when the buses are leaving for tours, when they return for lunch, etc., and when folks are heading off to the next part of their cruise tour (e.g. going from Fairbnanks to Denali) it is kind of a zoo in the lodges. Lots of people milling about, when the buses arrive lots of folks making a mad dash to get on the bus (god only knows why---there is room for everyone), lines to get into the restaurants because everyone gets back form their morning tours at the same time as everyone is trying to get a bite to eat, etc. etc. It is not like a small bed and breakfast to say the least. Having said all of this, I think the accomodations were fine, the food at the restaurants was good, and the hotel staff were all very nice and accomodating. As long as you know what to expect, I think you will be fine. We stayed at the Princess properties in Fairbanks, Denali, and McKinley. Denali was the oldest (or appeared to be) of the three. The rooms there were ok--certainly not luxurious, but they were clean, right on the river (some pretty scenery) and I would stay there again. McKinley had a beautiful lodge with a terrrace on theback that overlooks the Denali mountain range. I have heard that you can rarely see the mountains from there becasue of cloud cover, etc, but when we were there, the mountains were in sight---quite magnificent. Fairbanks had the nicest rooms--I would say comparable to a 3 Star hotel (or so I thought). They were a bit small--but we weren't in them that much anyway.

We are going on the land tour (please no critcism!). I am a bit confused about the train. I understand that we are limited to what we can bring on the train. Do we still get the big suitcases in the room, or do we not see them again until we get to the cruise ship?

Thanks!

Thanks, you guys. They sound very nice and scenic and very rustic. This could be good. I guess I should have expected them to be crazy with all the tours coming and going. I don't mind that sort of thing. Thanks for the upbeat sounds.

We began our cruisetour in Aug of 99 by flying into Fairbanks and landing around 7:00 p.m. We were tired but we were met by a Princess guide at the airport and a bus was outside to take us and luggage to the lodge. They were doing construction at that time to expand but I remember how we enjoyed their small intimate restaurant and how enjoyable it was to just relax, have a plate of food with a cool beer and knowing the fun was just beginning. At Denali, it was like Grand Central Station but again I remember sitting at a table outside their restaurant and having a giant plate of nachos and dip while enjoying the magnificant view down at the river, park and railroad station across the way. The room did not have a great view of anything but we spent little time in it. In Anchorage we stayed at Captain Cook Hotel and again we had dinner at the hotel and my wife still raves about the delicious haddock she had that evening. Don't worry, you will have a memorable experience... We are leaving this July but just doing the round trip from Seattle.

John L.

tiggr,

I leave next week on a cruisetour (can't wait!). My land tour is prior to my cruise. Per my documents, once I arrive for night #1, one bag (or more) will be designated by me to go ahead to meet me when I board the ship three days later. I will keep with me another (medium-sized) bag (dimensions are specified) for the three-day land tour, along with a small carry-on (my backpack). On the train, I am told that you can have you carry-on with you, but not your medium bag, which will be delivered to your room every night on the land tour. Apparently, there is very little room to bring more than a small carry-on bag while on the train.

Hope that helps! Have a happy cruisetour!

I really like the Princess Lodges. Haven’t stayed in the Princess Denali or McKinley lodges before but have been in them. However, I have spent numerous evenings in the Fairbanks, Kenai and Copper River Princess lodges. Since I’m a life long Alaskan I have been in most hotels and motels of significance up here. Usually, during our stays in Alaska we, of course, aren’t associated with large tourist groups, so we arrive at the more quiet times. But, all in all, Princess does it right and better than most any hoteliers up here do.

As far as the remarks concerning the negative aspects of the hustle and bustle of big tour groups in the mornings and during check in times, we have experienced it many times, the world over. Tell me of any hotel of significance that isn’t mired in confusion when the check in times and check out times occur for large groups. I’ll use it next time, but doubt that you can name one. And I bet ten bucks that when I do they aren’t any more screwed up during those times than Princess is.

Tenngal:

Thanks so much! We do not go until the middle of August, so I have not yet received docs. That is exactly what I was hoping for! I'll pack all the nice stuff in the big bag, and keep the sporty stuff in a small bag. Between meds, cameras, and snacks, there won't be much room in the backpack!

Have a great tour!

I posted that last night and goofed up when I should have said: “Princess probably isn’t any more screwed up than they are”.

No biggie, but coincidentally, I visited my brother in law this afternoon who owns a company which is a big bridge and dock builder enterprise up here. He mentioned that Princess just contacted his company and wants 205 piles, 50 foot longers, driven as soon as possible at their Denali Lodge. Fortunately, they were just bringing two big cranes back to Anchorage from Fairbanks so they were able to accommodate Princess. Apparently, Princess has decided to expand their deck on the Denali Wilderness Lodge, overlooking the Nebesna River and valley, by a huge volume, and hope to have it accomplished before the peak of the visitor season.

I mention this because of Princesses previous accomplishments up at Denali. I like to reflect upon the situation back in 1968 when the only hotel there was owned and operated by the NPS. It burned down before the tourist season began. The Park Service procrastinated for almost two seasons before getting something else up. Meanwhile, Alaska lost a complete tourist year since everybody cancelled because they wanted to go to McKinley. McKinley has always been a bottleneck for us here. Contrast that to just a few years ago when Princess lost a good portion of their lodge at Denali due to a fire during the winter. They set an unprecedented and very expensive record, by building all winter long and were ready for the first visitor clients at the beginning next season.

I don't work for or own stock in Carnival or Princess but I do believe we better give credit when credit is due.

Hi Yukoner from Carcross, My favorite place in the world is the Yukon....Best time to go to Denali is early March....when the moon is full and the dogs are ready to lope down the trail.....the lights are out, the moon is shining, and if you are lucky you will hear the wolves and when the dogs are tethered for the night they will howl in response.....Nothing is better than this.......(but a cruise comes close, and they do the cooking)

Archived