Choosing a Verandah Cabin on ms Noordam Help?

TGeorge

After spending a long time deciding where to celebrate our 25'th wedding anniversary, which cruise line, now we have read that room choice is almost equally important.

Two questions:

1) What is the best way to choose a verandah room (process or actual cabin numbers would be appreciated).

2) I learned that getting advice on specific TA is not OK with CC...but am I allowed to ask you HOW someone would figure out what TA would know what they were doing? And is an on line TA as good as a brick and mortar TA? If these questions are unallowable, please forgive me and disregard...but they are probably the most important? Bad agent could = a fiasco?)

Choosing the "best" verandah can only come down to cost and individual preferences. Personally, we found that the best bang for the buck on Noordam class ships was an SY which gives one significant extra cabin space and a much larger verandah.

Many who post here would argue for the larger Suites which have Neptune eligibility. However the cost is considerably more than WE can afford.

Location is also a preference, but for best ride look closer to midship areas.

Most people avoid picking cabins over or under potential noise sources: the show lounge, the galley, the Lido or Sea View pool decks.

Many who are prone to seasickness avoid booking cabins far forward on any deck, and try to choose one in the center of the ship such as the deck 5 VE - but those have smaller balconies than VA to VD.

Many dislike the steel-wall railings on deck 4, cabins 4001 to 4042.

Many avoid a verandah next to the center glass elevators because they can be viewed from the elevators.

Many don't want a cabin without a tub, such as some near the stern on decks 4, 5, and 6.

Some don't like balconies that are somewhat obstructed by lifeboats (4053, 4054, 4123 to 4126)

If 4164 or 4166 are still open, I would choose one of them because they have double-width balconies that are 7.5 ft deep: a total of 135 sq ft!

As far as choosing a TA, I would suggest you ask your friends and neighbors who cruise. :)

Edited by catl331

As someone who doesn't have neighbors or family/friends who cruise much, I can share what we have done. If you call HAl and get a GREAt reservations agent, don't hang up until you have all of your questions asked and answered. I can tell you that if you call at 7:30am, there are just a few agents there and they are the diehard do-gooders!

If you call and get a snarky agent, ask for a pCC. This is a personal cruise consultant and will be your point of contact for everything for your cruise.

We have shipped online and off for a TA and I can tell you that I have found deals to be comparable.

As far as staterooms go, I have been in a veranda on deck 8 in the front of the ship and deck 6 towards the back of the ship. The back is definitely better in choppy water. Deck 8 was quite a ride for us on our cruise!

Like was posted, for the most smooth ride, go with the middle of the ship. We don't need the best of the best, but we don't want to be in a tiny room either. We like the VF-VD area for price and position on ship. Remember, some VF cabins have the steel railing.

Happy sailing!

All of the deck 5 VE and VF have lifeboats slightly obstructing the view when you are standing at the railing looking down, but you wouldn't be bothered by the lifeboats when seated.

Some people like to go higher for the view, but you will get much more rolling motion there than in a VD on deck 4.

You said "a veranda room" but if your budget can stand it, the Superior suites are 50% larger than VA to VF, and the Deluxe Suites are 100% larger.

Edited by catl331

If you have the money, I would go with a SA catogory cabin.

I have no problem dealing with on-line TA over a brick and morter. With brick and morter TA's they have big over heads, so most the time they cannot give you the deal's that an on-line TA can. Just my opinion. I've worked with an on-line TA for about 5 years now.

I called the HAL number and the process is not exactly simple.

But she found room 7106 which is toward the back, on the Rotterdam Deck, not far from the elevators, and has a plexiglass wall for the verandah.

Again, the only reason I am being so careful is that this is our 25'th wedding anniversary :))

Does this seem like a good choice?

But she found room 7106 which is toward the back, on the Rotterdam Deck, not far from the elevators, and has a plexiglass wall for the verandah.

Again, the only reason I am being so careful is that this is our 25'th wedding anniversary :))

Looks like a good location...close to elevators/stairs and with passenger cabins above and below.:)

You have exquisite taste!;) We also chose the Noordam for our 25th anniversary cruise in November.:D

I think it's an excellent choice. We did 7090 on Noordam last Dec and LOVED that location....that elevator location was perfect for most of our needs. It was great to go right down to the dining room or right up to the Lido and back pool.

We never felt much motion back there and have booked the same location on a different deck ( our cabin was sold already!!) for this Dec.

If you want to read my review of our first Noordam trip you can find it here....we absolutely came away loving that ship and crew. Fantastic trip.

Review.....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

Thank you, everyone, for excellent advice and encouragement.

Penny, I DID read your review, and decided it was the best written review ever.

In fact, I called my wife over and read it out loud to her.

If you do not write for a living, you may have missed the use of a strong gifting :))

God bless you all, and know we are VERY grateful !!!

You have exquisite taste!;) We also chose the Noordam for our 25th anniversary cruise in November.:D

Hey, we are also celebrating our 25th on Noordam in Nov! Congrats!

As far as picking a location, my main priority is to have passenger cabins above and below me. I prefer forward to aft, but that's just me. I've been near the elevators and it's never been the slightest problem with noise, so I don't worry about that. I use the stairs mostly, because the elevators can be slow or crowded sometimes. Plus, i need the exercise!

Hey, we are also celebrating our 25th on Noordam in Nov! Congrats!

As far as picking a location, my main priority is to have passenger cabins above and below me. I prefer forward to aft, but that's just me. I've been near the elevators and it's never been the slightest problem with noise, so I don't worry about that. I use the stairs mostly, because the elevators can be slow or crowded sometimes. Plus, i need the exercise!

Noordam's the Silver Anniversary Ship!:D Our anniversary is the 28th, and we're sailing on the 26th. When's yours?

Thank you, everyone, for excellent advice and encouragement.

Penny, I DID read your review, and decided it was the best written review ever.

In fact, I called my wife over and read it out loud to her.

If you do not write for a living, you may have missed the use of a strong gifting :))

God bless you all, and know we are VERY grateful !!!

TGeorge.....thank you so much for your kind words about my writing. Matter of fact there are 2 books in different stages on my computer right now...where they go in a few months is the question. Kind words like your boost my morale!!

And it was easy to write as I did about Noordam.....she captivated us and we weren't expecting that. I hope your trip will do the same for you.

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

• 3 years later...
I think it's an excellent choice. We did 7090 on Noordam last Dec and LOVED that location....that elevator location was perfect for most of our needs. It was great to go right down to the dining room or right up to the Lido and back pool.

We never felt much motion back there and have booked the same location on a different deck ( our cabin was sold already!!) for this Dec.

If you want to read my review of our first Noordam trip you can find it here....we absolutely came away loving that ship and crew. Fantastic trip.

Review.....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

Cheers, Penny

2012...Assorted trips

We have Noordam Cabin 7090 booked. My wife has a bad back and cannot sleep in a bed but she is OK on a sofa (not extending it to be a sofa bed). Our question: w/o the sofa bed being extended is the sofa long enough for her to sleep on? She is 5" 2"

These messages REALLY help - thanks so much!!! We are grateful!!!

On our Pacific crossing on the Noordam we actually had a verandah cabin (8104) on Deck 8 which was over the bathrooms which are between the Lido and the Aft open deck. We didn't have any problems with noise or motion sickness and it was handy to the lifts/stairs for the restaurants. I forget which category it was but we found the cabin to be very comfortable in all respects, except perhaps for space.

Ozcruizer