Best airline to Rome?

Fabulous2B50

We live in Nashville, so we will have to fly to some other major city in the US in order to get to Rome. Can anybody out there recommend some convenient routes or airlines? I have American FF miles(but not enought to go free) but they do not fly to Rome and if I use them, I will have to connect in London, Brussles or Zurich before getting to Rome. Yuk!

Air France is currently having a pretty good sale. $299.00 + taxes and fees RT from the East Coast (NY, Washington, Boston) to Paris. Good Nov. 1 through March 2006, most dates.

Book a cheapo trip from Nashville, then fly to Paris, change planes and/or maybe airlines to Rome. Not the easiest way to do it, but by far the cheapest. The Air France flight is exactly how I am getting to Amsterdam for New Year's. Phoenix/New York/Paris/Amsterdam-$671.57pp, utilizing 3 airlines-AA/Air France/BA.

Alitalia (fairly expensive and not the best airline) flies non-stop from NY.

Almost all of the national European carriers (Swiss, Iberia, British Airways, Air France) stop in their home country on the way to your final destination. Delta flies non-stop to Rome from NYC, but the flights were pretty expensive. $1000.00pp and up. Stopping in London, Brussels, or Zurich certainly breaks up the trip. It is GOOD to get off the plane for a little while, especially if you are flying coach.

We are not going on our Med cruise until June 3, 2006 and will fly in a few days early to see Rome prior to boarding. I have been looking at several airlines and itineraries and have not been happy with them and was just wondering if I just had not been looking in the right place to find good flights. Thanks for your help and information.

I would avoid Alitalia. The chance of a strike is too great.

You might look into Air Canada. I believe you could go Nashville - Toronto - Rome. It's only one connection and out of Nashville you can't do better than that.

It looks like to me you are at least doing your homework. I believe you can book flights nine months out. Probably the best time for you to look will be this September when there usually is a drop in Airfares. It usually depends on the oil market.

Try to download sidestep on your computer that way you can scan 30 to 40 of the available flights at one time. I usually check with "Expedia and then try sidestep. Also note the type of Aircraft you will be flying on. Example: I don't mind 777's 747's, 330 and 340 Airbuses. I do avoid 767's when flying to Europe.

If I am correct you should be able to find airfare in the $600 to $750 range.

By the way flying in a few days early will be really worth it. Good luck. Tim

Well thanks for all of the support and suggestions from everyone. Air Canada will probably not be an option as we would bestaying overnight in the airport in Toronto to catch the flight the following night! It was worth a try, though. I will definitely look at Air France as they seem to have the best options and I don't anticipate them changing much in the near future.

Since we just can't afford to fly business class, can anyone recommend which is more comfortable in coach class, Delta or Air France on the jaunt to Europe?

Thank you Tim for the information, I thought I would check the specials but I am still cheaper with Celebrity's fare. I am doing a transatlantic crossing and needed one way, Atlanta to Barcelona and a return of Ft Lauderdale to Myrtle Beach. After looking at pricing for quite a while I booked through Celebrity for a total of $763.

Archived