I get a call from Carnival today: to check in between 2:30 and 3:30PM??

smilegirl07

So... my cruise is now in 3 days...

I am going on the Splendor on July 1st and I am super excited.

Since I live only about an hour away from the port, I plan to leave the house around 10:30ish and get to the port by 11:30ish then drop off my luggage to the porters and maybe board the ship by 12:30 and have lunch on board...and my first DOD.....Yay...right?

Until I receive a call from Carnival(it was an automated call) today saying, for smooth sailing please check in between 2:30~3:30PM on Sunday....

WHY SO LATE? WHY IS CARNIVAL TRYING TO SHORTEN MY VACATION BY FEW HOURS???????

I've been on other cruises before by other companies, never received a call like this nor board the ship that late!!!!

I am wondering why they are doing this...if this ever happened to anyone before or they are maybe just calling CA residents who live close to show up just later to reduce the craziness of checking-in and boarding??

Does anyone know what's going on????:confused:

Thanks in advance to those who answer!!

So... my cruise is now in 3 days...

I am going on the Splendor on July 1st and I am super excited.

Since I live only about an hour away from the port, I plan to leave the house around 10:30ish and get to the port by 11:30ish then drop off my luggage to the porters and maybe board the ship by 12:30 and have lunch on board...and my first DOD.....Yay...right?

Until I receive a call from Carnival(it was an automated call) today saying, for smooth sailing please check in between 2:30~3:30PM on Sunday....

WHY SO LATE? WHY IS CARNIVAL TRYING TO SHORTEN MY VACATION BY FEW HOURS???????

I've been on other cruises before by other companies, never received a call like this nor board the ship that late!!!!

I am wondering why they are doing this...if this ever happened to anyone before or they are maybe just calling CA residents who live close to show up just later to reduce the craziness of checking-in and boarding??

Does anyone know what's going on????:confused:

Thanks in advance to those who answer!!

Just go when you want. They won't stop you from boarding earlier.

They tell people different times to check in to avoid everybody getting there at once and avoid congestion.

Enjoy your cruise

Bill

I receive a call from Carnival(it was an automated call) today saying, for smooth sailing please check in between 2:30~3:30PM on Sunday

Considering departure is scheduled for 4:30 PM, this is very strange advice. Per Carnival regulations: "You must check in at least 1 ½ hours prior to departure or risk cancellation of your reservation."

If you'd show up at 3:00 PM or later you'd be in danger of being denied boarding. :eek:

I say stick to your own plan.

Every cruise seems that at least one person in our group gets this call when sailing out of Long Beach. We assume it's a crowd control thing.

Early check in starts around 9:30a at tables in front of the Dome.

We like to arrive around 10ish. Late enough for the parking structure to clear.

Be warned that the parking garage charges by the day ($15) and then by the hour. Keep your receipt out as you will have to show it a second time.

Carnival always seems to do this, at all ports. Nobody ever gets told to show up around 10:30-11:30. They're always told to show up at 1:00 or later. That would be a horrible mess if they all did. I always try to be one of the first ones on board. No reason not to for us, since we always have to stay at a hotel the night before. It's either sit on the ship with our carry-on luggage, or sit in McDonalds waiting to head to the port. Easy choice.

Carnival always seems to do this, at all ports. Nobody ever gets told to show up around 10:30-11:30. They're always told to show up at 1:00 or later. That would be a horrible mess if they all did. I always try to be one of the first ones on board. No reason not to for us, since we always have to stay at a hotel the night before. It's either sit on the ship with our carry-on luggage, or sit in McDonalds waiting to head to the port. Easy choice.

Lucky/judi from final Holiday cruze !......I am now DIAMOND, with 42 Carnivals under my lifevest, with 4 more booked til January, and over 400 days @ sea. Still doing other lines and land-cations as well. Hope all is GREAT with you and yours!!!

We obediently showed up at the time they called and told us to...never again! When we've arrived early it was so much better. Ehe time they give on the phone seems to be when the majority of people show up and the lines are claustrophobically long.

Our cruise paperwork says to show up between 1:30 and 2:30 the day of our cruise. I'm not waiting until then to check in, even though we do have VIP check-in I'm still going on early. I want on the ship as early as I can to start my vacation.

Last trip on the dream we were traveling with 4 other couples

2 of the got calls telling them to get there at 2 or so

It's crowd control

I used to get to the ship early , now we tend to go late, We tend to still get to port area early got to a local place for some bloody marys , walk right on Makes for some intersting boading pics and then right to our rooms .

Archived