Cell phone in San Jaun

Cougardave

We have Verizon and they charged extra for PR. Your carrier should have a map of some sort to show you the rates they charge.

that's funny ....we have Verizon and we were not charged extra-that was 2 years ago...called my mom on both ends of the trip.

Not sure what country you live in but San Juan is a US Territory and as such is not international for me. I used my Verizon phone a lot on both of my cruises out of San Juan without being charged any roaming fees or other. Your individual phone plan that you are on may make a difference too. I would call your carrier to be sure.

AT&T and Sprint both treat Puerto Rico (and the US Virgin Islands) as if you were in any other part of the US (because you are). Sounds like Verizon has finally come around. Years ago both Verizon and T-Mobile charged international roaming rates in Puerto Rico. I would check with your carrier as it may be based on your current plan.

We use Sprint and calls and texts were included in PR. One word of caution, on our last night on board our son got up on the top deck late at night to get a signal and then started texting. Bad move, about $150 in charges. He had a lot of grass to cut.

Not sure what country you live in but San Juan is a US Territory and as such is not international for me. I used my Verizon phone a lot on both of my cruises out of San Juan without being charged any roaming fees or other. Your individual phone plan that you are on may make a difference too. I would call your carrier to be sure.

Maybe. When I just went on Verizons site "plan a trip" It shows a $0.69 for PR per minute & $1.99 for St Thomas for the voice rate. I would have to look back at my cell phone bill from March 2011 to see if I was actually charged but first I would have to figure out how to do that.

Im not sure if this link will work

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

We use Sprint and calls and texts were included in PR. One word of caution, on our last night on board our son got up on the top deck late at night to get a signal and then started texting. Bad move, about $150 in charges. He had a lot of grass to cut.

With Sprint disable roaming off network and data off network and it should stop that.

that's funny ....we have Verizon and we were not charged extra-that was 2 years ago...called my mom on both ends of the trip.

I just completed a cruise that went to SJ and Verizon DOES charge extra for calls from SJ and St Thomas and yes it did show up on the bill.

We have T-Mobile, and there was no international charge for Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands. I would be careful, though, using it between PR and the USVI may very well carry international roaming rates. Make sure you are actually in those places--not nearby, not travelling between the two...

Yes, it is .69 per minute while you calling from PR on Verizon, it is roaming since you out of the US.

Not to argue with your charges BUT Puerto Rico is IN the US not out of it.

And according to this Verizon coverage map on their site, PR is included in your coverage. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/coverage-locator

Location Voice Rate Data Rate Text Rate Data Network Voice Network Rhyme - ADR6330 Tech

CDMA

CDMA

CDMA

$0.50 send

$0.020/KB

Standard: $2.49

Carnival Fantasy

($20.48/MB)

$0.05 receive

Puerto Rico Standard: $0.69 Domestic/KBDomestic sendCDMA CDMA CDMA

Don't mean to argue but I work for Verizon in global support, and yes there is coverage but u will pay .69 a minute when making or receiving a call while in Puerto Rico. Check out http://www.verizonwireless.com/tripplanner

And according to this Verizon coverage map on their site, PR is included in your coverage. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/coverage-locator

What you say may be true, but friends have Verizon and were charged. They saw us on our phones, and i said it was free so they started calling ALL their family.

Continental US is in the US, territories are different. Coverage maps mean your phone works there, not that it is included in your plan free.

Continental US is in the US, territories are different. Coverage maps mean your phone works there, not that it is included in your plan free.

By that logic, would I pay more in Hawaii than I would in say California because Hawaii is not in the Continental US? That is what I liked about AT&T and Sprint, rates were the same whether you were in the Continental US, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, & USVI. Perhaps some of those who don't get charged in Puerto Rico have some special plan. When I was looking at new carriers years ago, Sprint and AT&T were the only carriers to not charge additional to call to or call from Puerto Rico. This was important to us since my wife has family in Puerto Rico and wanted to be able to talk with them without a per minute charge.

By that logic, would I pay more in Hawaii than I would in say California because Hawaii is not in the Continental US? That is what I liked about AT&T and Sprint, rates were the same whether you were in the Continental US, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, & USVI. Perhaps some of those who don't get charged in Puerto Rico have some special plan. When I was looking at new carriers years ago, Sprint and AT&T were the only carriers to not charge additional to call to or call from Puerto Rico. This was important to us since my wife has family in Puerto Rico and wanted to be able to talk with them without a per minute charge.

Hawaii and Alaska are states. Yes I said continental US but I also stated I was talking about US Territories because the person I quoted said it is in the US. Would you say Guam is in the US? No, I wouldnt because it is a territory.

Hawaii and Alaska are states. Yes I said continental US but I also stated I was talking about US Territories because the person I quoted said it is in the US. Would you say Guam is in the US? No, I wouldnt because it is a territory.

But it IS in the US. Yes, Guam is in the US. Yes, Puerto Rico is in the US. Yes St. Thomas is in the US. Just because they are not in the continental US or are not considered a state, doesn't mean they are not apart of the US. My wife was born in Puerto Rico. She has been a US citizen since birth. She could run for president if she ever felt inclined to do so. She has every same right and priviledge as anyone that was born in any of the 50 states.

Based on what I know, calls from Guam are not included in AT&Ts plans because AT&T doesn't have a network set up there. However, they do have such networks in Puerto Rico and the USVI and include those regions in their US plans.

If you are on AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile you will be on their network here in Puerto Rico because they all operate locally. Verizon used to be a local operator too but a few years ago they sold their local operation and became Claro. They likely have roaming agreements here but Verizon might be charging roaming now.

In the end, it's your plan what determines if you will be charged or not. I am a T-Mobile customer and my plan does not include roaming in the US so I would be charged when travelling to the US.

Another word of caution. While on the ship even if in port, you might be getting signal from the on-board cell and not from the land-based ones so you might be getting charged by the "cell at sea" service and not one of the local carriers. I don't know if the ships turn off their cell services while in port.

If you are on AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile you will be on their network here in Puerto Rico because they all operate locally. Verizon used to be a local operator too but a few years ago they sold their local operation and became Claro. They likely have roaming agreements here but Verizon might be charging roaming now.

In the end, it's your plan what determines if you will be charged or not. I am a T-Mobile customer and my plan does not include roaming in the US so I would be charged when travelling to the US.

Another word of caution. While on the ship even if in port, you might be getting signal from the on-board cell and not from the land-based ones so you might be getting charged by the "cell at sea" service and not one of the local carriers. I don't know if the ships turn off their cell services while in port.

We have ATT and we travel a lot. We are NOT charged anything extra in PR or the virgin islands and that include data. It is just as if we are in the USA. While in port and until they are out to sea I think 2 miles, they are NOT allowed to turn on cellular at sea. When in port you pick up the local networks. This includes Europe where we have cruised as well. We have even forgot to turn off our cell phone and suddenly remembered, we had left port a full 10 minutes earlier and we were still picking up the land based carrier, they had not yet switched on the Cellular at sea. They must turn it off fairly early because we have turned on our phones and made phone calls as we are approaching ports and docking and it is already off. Not to say this didn't happen to someone that the ship forgot to turn it off but that would be a rare occurance, it must be off not to override the local cell towers in port. It has much farther range then cell carriers in port and they are bound by laws to have it off well before docking.

AT &T does not charge extra for Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands and it is just like being in the States. We also have a pay as you go phone from Verizon and that was going to charge us a lot more per call, maybe about 4 times as much as if we were using it in the States. We did not use that phone. That was in September of 2010.

Archived