Winery tours from Livorno

Razman69

A little helpful information would be appreciated!

We are looking into visiting a few wineries in the region while in port, but haven't found any tours that focus on this.

We feel that heading off to Florence for the day would almost be a waste as to really enjoy it we would want to spend a couple of days there...

Is there the possibilty of finding a driver once off the ship... that won't cost an arm and a leg? :D:D:D

We are looking into visiting a few wineries in the region while in port, but haven't found any tours that focus on this.

We feel that heading off to Florence for the day would almost be a waste as to really enjoy it we would want to spend a couple of days there...

Is there the possibilty of finding a driver once off the ship... that won't cost an arm and a leg? :D:D:D

To answer your last question first, NO! The taxi drivers do not work cheap and you can expect to pay more then 250 Euros for a taxi/driver for the day. Another option is to rent a car (sifracar.com is the local Hertz franchise and delivers to the port). We often post about driving the S222 road (between Florence and Siena) which winds through the heart of the Chianti wine district. There are many small wineries along and near this route (the countryside is beautiful) and it is wise to google (chianti wineries) and find out what might be open and who accepts visitors. DW and I will sometimes just drive along the road (and nearby small roads) looking for signs inviting visitors. The signs (often just handwritten) might be in English or say something like "Degustation"). On our many visits to this region (some for a week at a time) our best experiences seem to just happen without any planning.

Hank

I too prefer to drive myself rather than be driven, but I hesitate when it comes to visiting wineries. Maybe it's just me, but I like to actually drink the stuff and the Italian authorities are really strict about drinking and driving. This is one of the few times I could see myself springing for a driver, unless I could find a friend willing to be the designated driver. Where are my pregnant friends when I need them?

What did you decide to do in Liverno? We are on the Breeze on October 1 and still haven't gotten anyone to join the private tour we posted on our thread. I am just wondering how your plans are coming along?

Marion

Archived