Boarding process

Firs time cruiser so please point out anything that i dont have straight. We're signed up for ncl's transportation that will take us from airport to ship. Would itbe possible for us to take that early (in seattle, does anyone know when their shuttles start running?) So that we can spend a few hours in the city before boarding? That is, can we arrive at the port, drop off our luggage that have the tags on them, then we loook around seattle and actually board the ship a few hours after?

Firs time cruiser so please point out anything that i dont have straight. We're signed up for ncl's transportation that will take us from airport to ship. Would itbe possible for us to take that early (in seattle, does anyone know when their shuttles start running?) So that we can spend a few hours in the city before boarding? That is, can we arrive at the port, drop off our luggage that have the tags on them, then we loook around seattle and actually board the ship a few hours after?

I'm not sure what time the shuttle through NCL leaves from the airport. If I were you, I'd cancel the transfers with NCL and take a taxi. We've done that on all of our Alaska cruises. If your flight is early enough, you could drop off your bags and go explore. You'll get to the port much quicker if you just take a taxi, though.

Take in to account that everything in Seattle is "up hill" from the cruise dock....not easy to lug around carry-on luggage in Seattle.

I would vote for a taxi vs bus transfer from the airport, too. There is also an excellent public transport train from the airport, but the downtown train stops are a few blocks from the ship dock (but at least down hill). The trip by train takes about 25 minutes...by taxi about 20 minutes.

Taxi fare estimated at $44 plus tip for the whole cab (3-4 people)

I'm not sure what time the shuttle through NCL leaves from the airport. If I were you, I'd cancel the transfers with NCL and take a taxi. We've done that on all of our Alaska cruises. If your flight is early enough, you could drop off your bags and go explore. You'll get to the port much quicker if you just take a taxi, though.

So it is actually possible for me to drop off all our luggage at the ship and go explore around a few hours, and then board the ship?

Before anyone tries to help this poster, you should read the same question posted earlier this week - here

"The cruise starts on sunday. we are actually getting in seattle early to spend the whole of saturday looking around in seattle. we reserved a rental car so we can go to the boeing museum on saturday as well. on sunday, I was hoping that we would get out of the hotel, drive to seattle to have lunch and then go back to the airport (since we would have to return the car anyway) and then catch the ncl shuttle to the ship. I know, it seems like a lot of going back and forth but somehow it came out that way."

It is a bit confusing what the poster is trying to do. I think they are flying in the day before and think they should go back to the airport to catch the shuttle. Which of course is counter productive.

They should be staying downtown, or at least returning the car downtown. Skip the whole NCL shuttle thing. Even if they go back to the airport (crazy), taking a cab would be just as easy, probably easier.

Actually, you can drop off your luggage and stroll along the waterfront, which is on the same street as the pier… There are restaurants, shops, the Seattle Aquarium and many other sites. Just a few blocks down is the Ferry terminal where all those lovely green and white ferries arrive and depart. Just across the street from Bell Harbor Marina is an elevator that will take you up the hill to within 2 blocks of the famous Pikes market.. Pick up one of their amazing bouquets of flowers $10-$15 for your cabin.. Hope you enjoy Seattle..

I hope the poster comes back and explains what they are doing.

Personally, I would get the rental car whenever you land.

Go touring as you planned. Return the car to a downtown spot (the larger agencies have downtown offices). Stay at a hotel downtown Sat night, not the airport area. Get up Sunday, spend time walking in town. Go back to the hotel whenever you want (early to mid afternoon), get bags and walk or taxi to the ship.

Eliminate the NCL shuttle all together. Eliminate at least 2 or more trips to or from the airport area.

NCL (and other cruise lines) plan their airport transfers based on the arrival (or departure) times of the passengers who buy the transfer service. But they also try to maximize the cost effectiveness of their transfers, and since they use "Greyhound" style buses, they will often have people wait at the airport until they can fill up a bus.

As others have suggested to you, I would eliminate the airport transfer. Take a cab or other transport into town to the dock. Hand your luggage off to the porters outside. Then do your sightseeing in the area, and return to the dock to finish your check in.

You'll need to find out how early NCL starts accepting luggage at the dock. You'll also need to keep in mind the time it will take you to get back to the dock from your sightseeing....You'd hate to pay for an all expenses tour of Alaska for your luggage.

One thing worth finding out is if your bags go on same vehicle you do from airport. Last year on Princess in San Juan they put bags on a truck and we went on separate small bus to ship. We were at ship by 1:30. Turns out truck stayed at airport until ALL flights were in, so we never saw our bags until after 9 PM!

That taught me to not get separated from my bags until the ship!

Keep in mind that you can check your luggage but you should NOT check any of your valuables at the pier. Any valuables (cameras, computer, jewelry, etc.) should be kept in your carry-on. If you are going to explore keep in mind that you will have your carry-on with valuables with you.

I would like to agree with Once Upon A Time - that Alaskan Way (the street that runs alongside the pier where your ship will be) is flat, and all along the street for s-e-v-e-r-a-l blocks are nice things to see and do. Just above Alaskan Way is the Pike Place Market and it's a Seattle landmark that I highly recommend. You might want to save that for last so you can pick up a large bouquet of flowers and bring it back for your cabin on board. You can get some gorgeous bouquets for as little as $5, but $10 is more common. We always see people boarding with big bouquets of flowers and we know they've been to the market!

Have fun with whatever you decide.

The Marriott directly across from the ship has a rental car counter. My brother is renting a car from the airport the day before and then dropping off across the street from the ship the morning of departure. If you're renting a car, consider this approach instead of going back to the airport and taking any kind of shuttle.

If you're not taking a car, a taxi or Shuttle Express are good choices. I'm getting 3 adults and 3 kids from the airport to the port for $41 on Shuttle Express the night before we cruise (we're staying at the Marriott across the street)

Archived