Magica roll call May 22-30

kaytee38

Jo42: Yes, I did meet George & his wife. I went on some tours with them as well. I was in one of the duty-free shops trying to figure out what brand of cigarettes to bring home for my father (clueless, since I don't smoke) and George was rating the brands for me. His wife was hilarious! Costa messed up their original reservation>something to do with location of the cabin in relation to the elevator. Anyhow, they got moved to the 10th deck & were told that it might be temporary, in case they needed the cabin back. George's wife said, "I'll chain myself to something...Let's see how well they can move me then!".

Hmmm...Malta cheesecakes (passitzis..I'll have to go back, just to get the spelling right).

Jo42: I just realized you must have been right near me in the dining room. I, too was on deck 4 Smeralda 1st seating at the back of the restaurant right by the windows as well. I should have just screamed out Jo42! Except we're on the msg boards so much that everyone else would have come running after hearing Jo42. Didn't want to start a stampede, afterall!

Nellie21: Something else I just thought of: If you buy anything in Tunisia, make sure you watch/check that you get what you paid for. One of the stores in the souk made a switch on a fellow passenger. She bought a purse & when she got back to the ship & opened the plastic bag (with a zillion knots:warning bell!), it was a diff purse & it was all falling apart, not even usable.

TDOT, we were at table 219! We should have met up, - oh well there's always the next time, it was such a great trip.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tunis tricks re checking your purchases and the small bills so change is not an issue. I'm looking forward to visiting the souks with my hubby and daughter on our next trip, but a little nervous all the same. Haven't decided whether to do a ships excursion or go it alone. Hubby favours going it alone - more time to haggle, its his favourite pass time, once a salesman......!!

Jo42: Your hubby will have a blast haggling. Lots of interesting things. Some very beautiful colorful wraps/shawls/tunic-tops. Your daughter will love them! I don't know if Costa's 'all shopping tour' is totally led by a guide or if they just drop you off and pick you up at a mtg point>basically transportation only. If it is, your husband's decision is probably the better one...All the more $ to spend. Afterall, those tours are pretty expensive. I took the panoramic & shopping tour-downfall: the guide doesn't really let you loose to look at anything. He probably makes a commission guiding you to certain stores, we only went into 3 (15min each, not enough time to haggle to a proper price since the asking price starts so high) and spent most of the time with a carpet dealer friend of his. Whenever someone tried to sneak into a diff store, he would haul us back & say "Lots of shopping later." A guy in the alleyway started throwing bracelets into my tablemate's bag & trying to force her to buy. I'm sure they won't try these tactics with your hubby there. Happy shopping, Jo!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived