Gary T - can you help please

Seavoyage

Hi Gary -

Given your broad knowledge and experience with St. Maarten can you please help us.

Will be visiting St Maarten in December - our ship docks in Philipsburg at 7am and leaves - get this...3pm! So that means all aboard will be no later than 2:30pm!!:mad:

We are considering a visit via ferry to Pinel Island. Do you think we would have enough time to get there (via taxi -or car service) and back to ship dock in due time?

Do you think it is worth the effort or do you think we would be better off going to say to Orient Beach? Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated....

Goal is to spend more time in water not in cars....

Thank you in advance for your time and kind reply....

Personally, I'd just head to Orient and enjoy as much time as I could. Pinel will still be there next time.

We really love Orient, and there are so many varied choices that everyone should be able to find a very comfortable fit somewhere along the beach.

That said, I've yet to make it to Pinel, and probably should do so at some point so that I have some experience with the general atmosphere there.

Maybe my next visit.

I would point out that I have seen various mentions of the first 'ferry' to Pinel as being at 10:00, 9:30 or 9:00. Knowing 'Island Time' as I do, I would add at least 15 minutes to this starting time, especially for the first trip of the day.

You could be in the water at Orient well before 8:00.

gary

p.s. The $7 'ferry' fee just to get to Pinel would cover a chair, umbrella, bathroom and shower privilege and a free drink at a spot on Orient such as Orange Fever, and I love their burger.

The $2 per person difference for the taxi (each way) would pay for a couple of ice cold Presidentes.

I think I just almost talked myself out of that Pinel visit?? :)

• 2 months later...
Personally, I'd just head to Orient and enjoy as much time as I could. Pinel will still be there next time.

We really love Orient, and there are so many varied choices that everyone should be able to find a very comfortable fit somewhere along the beach.

That said, I've yet to make it to Pinel, and probably should do so at some point so that I have some experience with the general atmosphere there.

Maybe my next visit.

I would point out that I have seen various mentions of the first 'ferry' to Pinel as being at 10:00, 9:30 or 9:00. Knowing 'Island Time' as I do, I would add at least 15 minutes to this starting time, especially for the first trip of the day.

You could be in the water at Orient well before 8:00.

gary

p.s. The $7 'ferry' fee just to get to Pinel would cover a chair, umbrella, bathroom and shower privilege and a free drink at a spot on Orient such as Orange Fever, and I love their burger.

The $2 per person difference for the taxi (each way) would pay for a couple of ice cold Presidentes.

I think I just almost talked myself out of that Pinel visit?? :)

Gary:

I need help. From what I learn on the CCB, we could take a taxi to Pinel Island, or take the taxi to the ferry stop and take the ferry to Pinel. We have 7 in the group are planning to take the taxi to Pinel, for the return trip, if the taxi does not show up, then we will take the ferry and taxi back to the ship.

My questions are: where could I find the schedule for the ferry? our ship depart at 5:00 PM, if we leave Pinel around 2:00, do we have enough time back to the ship even we have to take the ferry and taxi? Do you have idea how much the taxi will be from the ferry stop back to the ship? I could not find it in the website, more like I don't know what I am looking for.

Thank advance for the help.

As you mention, Pinel is an island. There is not a taxi 'to' Pinel, only to the ferry landing in Cul de Sac. The only way to get to the island is by ferry, which is actually just a small boat.

I guess you could rent a kayak and paddle over, or pay one of the jet ski rentals to give you a ride. It's about a half mile ride.

th_DSCN4651.jpg

(click)

I'm not certain that there is a set schedule for the ferry, probably more like every half hour or so or when the boat gets full.

Leaving at 2:00 should be fine, and I'd be pretty confident that with a group of 7 the taxi would return for you. Rates are here:

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

gary

As you mention, Pinel is an island. There is not a taxi 'to' Pinel, only to the ferry landing in Cul de Sac. The only way to get to the island is by ferry, which is actually just a small boat.

I guess you could rent a kayak and paddle over, or pay one of the jet ski rentals to give you a ride. It's about a half mile ride.

th_DSCN4651.jpg

(click)

I'm not certain that there is a set schedule for the ferry, probably more like every half hour or so or when the boat gets full.

Leaving at 2:00 should be fine, and I'd be pretty confident that with a group of 7 the taxi would return for you. Rates are here:

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

gary

Thanks to point it out the taxi is not for go to Pinel , it is only for from the ship to Cul de Sac. When I saw the taxi fare to Pinal on the website, I thought it is for go to Pinel. Do you know how much the ferry cost?

Thank again.

Retirepopo

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to point it out the taxi is not for go to Pinel , it is only for from the ship to Cul de Sac. When I saw the taxi fare to Pinal on the website, I thought it is for go to Pinel. Do you know how much the ferry cost?

Thank again.

Retirepopo

I would book it through Islandmarketing.

When I went with them we arrived at the ferry and there were people waiting and I got in line behind the people and then the driver directed me to the front where our ferry was sitting there waiting for us.......

also, when we got back from the island we were with our driver and we just hoped in the van and took off...... I would not want to sit in that dirt parking lot waiting for a cab........there is nothing around and if your cab doesn't come back you will be stranded.........

Archived