hotels in Rome

newlu

Hi,

Need a hotel room for 2 woman, 2 nights. First time in Rome, want to visit the Vatican, the Colliseum, the steps, and be close enough that it does not take us all day to get there, close to transportation a must (also read that a cab around $12 to the Vatican in that area, we would not mind paying that), restaurants that are decent (read that close to the Vatican there are a few). Price, we would like to bay no more then $250-$300 (Canadian - American) per night, as we are 2 sharing the room, the costs. Breakfast included would be nice. Safe area and close to the Vatican would be nice.

Thanks for any advice

newlu

Close to the Vatican puts you a bit of a distance from the rest of the sites of Rome; to be more central I'd suggest looking in the area around Campo dei 'Fiori or Piazza Navona. It's very easy to get to the Vatican from here (one mile on foot, or a quick cab ride to St. Peter's) as well as to the Colosseum (1.2 miles on foot), the two most distant points. The Pantheon is only steps away (0.2 miles from Piazza Navona), the Trevi fountain is a little over a half mile, and the Spanish Steps are about three quarters of a mile.

We stayed at the Hotel Artemide for 4 nights on our last visit to Rome. We had a great experience, and would certainly stay there again. The front desk staff were professional, polite and helpful.

A wonderful breakfast is included, with many selections to choose from. Fresh fruits, meats, cheeses, cereal, eggs, etc. They make excellent cappuccino.

They also provide (no charge) snacks and drinks in the in-room refrigerator. There is a roof-top lounge, but we didn't utilize it, we were just too busy.

We found the location very convenient and walked to many sites. The main train station, Termini, is about a 10 minute walk. There is a deli/market across the street, that we picked up some fruit, cheese and wine.

They get high marks on Trip Advisor. Check out the reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ome_Lazio.html

Enjoy your stay in Rome!

I agree with euro cruiser that staying near the Vatican would be my last choice.

We like to stay near the Colosseum at the Capo d'Africa as it is a less crowded area than the prime tourist spots near the Piazza Navona. Hotel Lancelot is another good option for less money.

Depending on the time of year, rates can differ dramatically. For hotels near the Piazza Navona you can check Albergo Cesari, Albergo Santa Chiara (behind the Pantheon). Albergo del Senato is very nice but has increased so much in price since my early stays there it is now unreasonable much of the year IMO.

We also like to be near the Borghese as we like the area. Sofitel Roma, Hotel San Anselmo are both good options.

Thanks, will look into those neighborhoods, and we are going there beg. of October, so I dont think that's an extremely busy time...

thanks,

newlu

It actually is still quite busy as October has become very popular for tourism in Italy as well as being a big month for conferences. You will not see a lot of discounting or bargains. I will be booking this November for our late October of 2013 trip to Italy.

Close to the Vatican try either B & B A View of Rome, or its sister property B & B A Peace of Rome. Excellent hosts and value . Book on line direct via either website to avoid paying middlemen commissions .

Our first time in Rome we stayed at the Visconti Palace which is fairly close to Vatican City. We were there with my MIL and a friend of hers. They were both in their early 70 and we were able to walk to most of the sites a first time Rome visitor would want to see. We did end up taking a city bus back to the area of town we were staying in when we walked to the Colosseum and Forum.

The next time we were in Rome we stayed at the Hotel Artorius (nice 10 room hotel) which is about 1/2 way between Trevi Fountain and the Colosseum. The neighborhood was very nice and very convenient. For us it seemed more convenient than staying near the Vatican.

Check Trip advisor for reviews of the hotels and restaurants in Rome. It is a good source of information.

If y ou are not looking for fancy, just clean, pleasant and inexpensive, we stayed at the Hotel Grifo in the Monti area. Two blocks from the colosseum and forum, and walking distance to everything but the vatican.

We were in Rome in May of this year and stayed steps from the Vatican Museum entrance at a hotel called Alimandi Tunisi. It is a 3 star hotel and had that Italian feel I was looking for. It was quaint and very clean. It is a family run hotel and the staff was excellent. A breakfast buffet was included and served on the rooftop restaurant. Francesco greeted us every morning and made the best cappacinos. We are a family of 4 and we stayed in a large quad room that had one queen bed and two twin beds. The bathroom was very large and had a large counter for toiletries. We paid 210 euros per night for that quad. I know a double would be quite a bit less. I think it was a very nice hotel and would definately stay there again. Paolo,the owner, made us feel very welcome and helped us with restaurants that were near and within walking distance.

I know its not as centrally located as other areas but it worked great for us as we were right by the Vatican Museum and could walk easily to St. Peter's for an audience with the Pope on Wednesday morning. Alimandi Vaticano is also owned by the same family and is right across the street from Alimani Tunisi. It is a 4 star hotel and is fancier (we walked in and looked around). It is more expensive than Tunisi but I feel we made a good decision with Tunisi. I found reviews on tripadvisor and this CC board.

We spent a week in Rome in September of 2009 and stayed at the Albergo Santa Chiara. As a previous poster said, it is right in back of the Pantheon. There are many restaurants nearby and most major sights are fairly close. The one exception would be the vatican which is walkable but due to the hot weather when we were there we decided on a taxi. We walked to the Colosseum and the Forum. The hotel is on the expensive side, but is very pretty and clean and does include breakfast. We will be staying there again for 3 nights in September when we travel on our own to Italy and France for two weeks. Enjoy your time in Rome - it is one of my favorite European cities.

Hotel Sonya, right in the middle of the popular sites. We walked to all but Vatican and Trastevera. Took cabs which were very reasonable.

Paying cash they gave you a discount, think it was 15%

Very nice breakfast included as well. We were there last November for 4 night pre TA cruise and was very reasonable. The hotel is close to the Termini and right across from the opera house.

Lots of local cafe and food available. Several grocery and lemoncelli shops also right at the hotel.

We just stayed at the Hotel Aberdeen. Highly recommended from Rick Steves and of you are going to Rome and don't know about Rick Steves look him up, grab one of his books or audio's from iTunes.

Hotel Campo de Fiori, Perfect for 2 women. Very old elegant style Italian. Great breakfast, fabulous roof garden. The staff is ever so helpful, I swear they would be tourist gudes if they could LOL. Fantastic market in the Piazza Campo de Fiori (plaza Field of flowers) right beside the hotel during the day (till abouit 1 or 2 PM), surrounded by great little eateries at night.

Right in the middle of the old part of Rome. Within easy walking distance of all the sites (5 min to Piazza Navona, 10 to the Pantheon, 15 to Trevi Fountain, 20 to the Vatican, 25 to the Colosseum and Forum although it will take longer because you will stop along the way to look at many other things LOL).

We stay there often and love it more every time.

http://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/home.htm

Hi,

Thanks for all the advise, I did my research, and many hotels (the Albergo's) are priced from $325 to $400 euros per night, a bit much for 2 nights before our cruise. So I opted for the Lancelot, and got a room with a terrace! I emailed them directly, got a price (same as Expedia that I would have to pay up front) so for $214 euro's per night, with a terrace, including breakfast, I think it will be fine. AND if prices go down of others, I can cancel without fee....

Thanks everybody, hope I made a good choice!!

newlu

Hi,

Thanks for all the advise, I did my research, and many hotels (the Albergo's) are priced from $325 to $400 euros per night, a bit much for 2 nights before our cruise. So I opted for the Lancelot, and got a room with a terrace! I emailed them directly, got a price (same as Expedia that I would have to pay up front) so for $214 euro's per night, with a terrace, including breakfast, I think it will be fine. AND if prices go down of others, I can cancel without fee....

newlu

Good choice and we really like the neighborhood. Convenient without being in the very busy area. And a tram very near by as well as the metro.

Hi,

Need a hotel room for 2 woman, 2 nights. First time in Rome, want to visit the Vatican, the Colliseum, the steps, and be close enough that it does not take us all day to get there, close to transportation a must (also read that a cab around $12 to the Vatican in that area, we would not mind paying that), restaurants that are decent (read that close to the Vatican there are a few). Price, we would like to bay no more then $250-$300 (Canadian - American) per night, as we are 2 sharing the room, the costs. Breakfast included would be nice. Safe area and close to the Vatican would be nice.

Thanks for any advice

newlu

We are staying at Hotel Napoleon for 3 nights following our cruise in September. I booked us in a superior room for 3 nights at a total rate of $721USD which includes breakfast. Hotel Napoleon is near the Coloseum, Forum, etc. and very easy walking distance to the other major sites. One benefit is the metro stop immediately outside the hotel and the proximity to Termini. Just a thought and recommendation for you ...

Hi,

newlu

I like to prepay my hotels in advance as I don't like bills after my trips. Right now the Euro is down and I chose to prepay for both of my trips for this year already - Nov. and Dec.

This September we are staying one night at hotel assisi near the termini. A single lady friend of mine stayed there for 2 weeks recently when attending an Italian language school. She felt perfectly safe. We are paying 68 euro for the night including breakfast.

The other 4 nights in Rome we are staying at a convent, right opposite the entrance to the sistine chapel. First time for hubby to Rome and I know he will want to spend a lot of time around the vatican area.

Our room at the convent is a double but no breakfast however there are some cooking facilities if needed. We have ensuite bathroom and at a cost of 65 euro a night double. I really wanted to stay there for the atmosphere, and reports are terrific. Only reason we arent staying the 5 nights is that check in is only available til 9pm and we have a very late flight in to Rome.

Hotel Assisi has 24 hour check in and just around the corner from the bus stop from the airport.

Is Hotel Napoleon in the Termini area? Thanks.

Also' date=' Caviargal, when you stay at the Capo d"Africa, what nearby restaurants do you like? Thanks![/quote']

I think my husband told me that Hotel Napoleon (where we are staying) is about a half mile from Termini. It is located across the street from the first stop on the B line (I think that is what he said) from Termini too. I haver read great reviews on the hotel and am looking forward to our stay in 2 months.

Archived