Cristobal Pier

Marie14

Hello everyone...

I was wondering what your experience was like at Cristobal Pier 6. Youre feedback is very important. Thanks...

Hi Marie!

I just wanted to let you know that I responded to your message on the other thread (a more detailed response there).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I think, but am not positive, that ships that actually dock at Colon all day go to the new Colon2000 pier (lots of shopping) and do not enter the canal. Those ships that do a partial transit into lake Gatun (and disembark their tour people there) dock at Cristobal for only part of the day, and wait for passengers returning from tours.. Someone tell me if this is correct.

flashdog_1,

Based on my experience on the Summit and the Galaxy, your description is correct. Colon 2000 for ships not entering the Canal (Summit in our case), and Cristobal for ships that have been in the Canal (Galaxy).

• 1 month later...

"Cristobal: Shopped the warehouse of native crafts, etc. Try the cream rum that is offered. Yummy!" -- where was this offered? were you allowed to bring it back to your cabin? I'm planning to follow the same plan you did for the Canal/Cristobal so any addition info on Cristobal would be great.

There was a stand/booth set up about 1/2 way into the "warehouse" that was giving out samples and selling the liquor. We did buy two bottles and were able to carry them back to our cabin. The other liquor in the liquor store didn't seem to be much of a bargain. The booths at Cristobal had lots of souvenir items. There was also a booth with handcrafted items by the Embera Indians...wood cravings&canes, baskets, molas. The intricate baskets were priced about $25+. We bought a wood craved bird and were able to "bargain" with the seller.

• 1 month later...

Other than items made by Embera Indians, most items at Cristobal Pier are made in China or India. Many still have the "Made in ..." tags on them. Enjoyed the dancers who performed and the local beer sold at the bar in the middle of the warehouse, but that was it!

• 1 month later...

We cruised Panama aboard the Coral in November 2005. The pier was very disappointing. Prices for liquor and cigarettes were very high. The crafts were nothing to write home about. We got off the ship walked around in about 45 minutes and got back on. We had more fun watching a group of men load a small ship with cardboard cartons. 1000's of them individually. Not very efficient; but probably inexpensive for that area. The pier did have some Panamanian dancers while we were there; we enjoyed them. The cruise was fantastic; but the ports were not our favorites. We would do it again though; it was probably the most relaxing trip we have ever been on. Marie

Archived