Juneau Helicopter: More Glacier Time or More Flight Time?

MarcieandTed

So, I am TOTALLY bummed. The Level 2 Trek with Northstar is sold out for my date. I was so excited to do this with my family... and unfortunately we can't do Level 3 with my 12 year old. "Pilot's Choice" is also sold out.

However, these two 1.5 hour tours are still available:

Northstar's Glacier Walkabout gives an hour on the glacier, 1/2 hour in the air.

Coastal's Adventure Tour is an hour in the air, 1/2 hour on the glacier.

Which would you pick?

BudgetQueen - have you done both?

Thanks!

OH! I just noticed that "Pilot's Choice" is still available through the cruise line (it was sold out when I contacted Temsco direct). The Level 2 Trek is sold out through both the cruise line and North Star.

"Pilot's Choice" is 50 minutes in the helicopter and two 15 minute landings.

Thoughts?

Hi, our family decided to "split" due to the age of our youngest (10) at the time, but we were traveling with other friends, so it wasn't a problem. We did the Level 3 and 2.

Personally, I'd take the option with more time on the glacier vs. the air.

We LOVED our time with Northstar and would count this excursion as a "must do" for Alaska.

Enjoy!

Lynne

I do not recommend a short trek, simply not enough time, and unfortunately all "levels" with this tour moving only as fast as the slowest person.

If it available through your cruiseline shore excursions?? They usually hold back some slots for on the ship bookings. If an option, do this immediately after embarking.

A pilots choice is excellent, two landings, time to walk around, and a good amount of flightseeing.

Did you look at the other two companies for what they still have available?

Thanks to both of you!

BudgetQueen, we've decided to follow though on your recommendation and went ahead and booked Pilot's Choice through the cruise line. We will also do as you suggest when we board. :D Your opinion means a lot, since you've experienced so many of these tours firsthand.

Archived