Oxygen on HAL?

Go2See

Has anyone used oxygen delivery on HAL?

If so, how was it? Did it get delivered correctly?

Were you able to store the cannisters in your room?

Did the equipment work well?

We are sailing from Seattle on the Westerdam, and I have to organize oxygen for my mom.

Thank you

Here is the link to HAL's policy re oxygen usage on board their ships.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Accessible+Cruising&contentSubMenu=Holland+America+Line:+Committed+to+Serving+Everyone#

I may be mistaken, but I do not believe you can use canisters, just concentrators. You should call HAL and they wil direct you to the correct person to answer your questions.

We used Special Needs at Sea to rent a concentrator while aboard the ship. The equipment was clean and in good working order. In our case the concentrator was waiting in our cabin for us.

Good morning,

My husband has COPD and we've cruised several times with oxygen. You have to let HAL know you are using it. We bring on one larger tank (D) for embarking (he wears this one) and then have a larger tank (D) in the suitcase for disembarking. All other tanks are delivered through Care Vacations. They are out of LeDuc, Alberta and super easy to work with. The oxygen, every cruise, has been in the cabin ready to go. They include a conserver and bag with the order. This cruise we've ordered 10 M6 canisters and our cost was $90.00 for the first one and $30.00 for each additional. Fortunately, our insurance will reimburse me for this cost.

Karen

Has anyone used oxygen delivery on HAL?

If so, how was it? Did it get delivered correctly?

Were you able to store the cannisters in your room?

Did the equipment work well?

We are sailing from Seattle on the Westerdam, and I have to organize oxygen for my mom.

Thank you

I have a Sticky regarding Handicapped Cruising (including Oxygen) on the Disabled Cruise Boards: Holland America Line Handicapped Info http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

But here is the direct link for you to my page on Handicapped Cruising, which includes exact details of what, how and who to contact to set everything up:)

http://abqreunion2008.com/HAL_HC-Info.html

You can have either Oxygen cannisters and a regulator delievered or better yet, an Oxygen Concentrator. When we first cruised I had both delivered by CareVacations and then got switched by them to Special Needs at Sea in Seattle (have no idea why, but like them better now)

I used to store the O2 Cannisters in the bottom of a closet, with shoes on either side of them to keep them from rolling around.

Just for the record, I have never had a problem with renting and receiving any medical supplies from either CareVacations or Special Needs at Sea. They are both AWESOME companies and bend over backwards to meet and exceed your requests:)

Joanie

Thanks for the info on tanks on board. I know you cannot use them on airplanes and thought I'd read the same regulations applied to the ships. DH always used his personal concentrator when out and about, then a larger rental concentrator at home and arranged for one in the cabin while aboard the ship.

Thanks for the info on tanks on board. I know you cannot use them on airplanes and thought I'd read the same regulations applied to the ships. DH always used his personal concentrator when out and about, then a larger rental concentrator at home and arranged for one in the cabin while aboard the ship.

Just an FYI, for using your hubby's POC. You can do away with renting any oxygen equipment and use the POC instead!!!

I have a SeQual Eclipse 3™, with 2 extra batteries and a quick charger that I bring with me for use on the plane(s), ships, and if needed for excursions.

It charges overnight while I sleep and use it at the same time.

There is no need to rent seperate E, D or even M3 Tanks and a Concentrator for the cruise, if your hubby can use his POC.

As long as the POC has a prescription written and signed by the Doctor and is an Approved POC for Airlines.... BTW, Check with the Airlines you are flying as to their written Doctor's prescription reqwuirements. Last Year we discovered that there is a big difference between some of the Airlines. United wanted a new signed prescription within 10 days of each flight. Southwest has a 1 year time line...

Here is a listing of the APPROVED POC's for Airlines in the USA:

Portable Oxygen Concentrators approved by the FAA for in-flight use:

• Inogen One Portable Oxygen Concentrator
  • SeQual Eclipse Portable Oxygen Concentrator
  • AirSep Lifestyle
  • AirSep Freestyle
  • Respironics EverGo

Hope this helps, and is able to save you $$$

Joanie

Joanie, my husband could not use his POC at night since it was a demand only type, not continuous or continuous/demand as yours is. His respiration rate when asleep would slow down so much that the oxygen would not kick in.

The whole oxygen usage requirement has so many pros and cons for each type/brand of equipment for each individual person's needs. It really takes a lot of thought as to which way to go. I do not think there is any "perfect" answer.

Archived