Honolulu, Maui or Kona best snorkeling

stunned

Will be cruising in April next year. Any suggestions of which of these islands are best for snorkeling? Any ideas of where to go if doing it on our own? I appreciate all you have to share, it will be our first time there. Thanks.

Judy

Picnic area at Keoneele Cove, near Pu'uhonua o Honaunau Natl. Historical Park south of Kona (Big Island)

Then if you want to visit the park after it is next door

Go early as there is limited parking. No change rooms so wear your suits. Volcanic Rock entry into water. Porta Potties. But great snorkeling early in the day when it is calm & the sun is shinning I really enjoy it

Poipu south Kauai with a sand entry is a favourite for families. It is very sheltered

Finally my last choice is Hanauma Bay Honolulu (Oahu). It has all the amenities but there is a fee & people, lots of people who stand on the coral, swim into you, & feed the fish.

Suggestion ask at the beach info center where to go that day to see fish. It is a large bay & they can help make your experience better.

Hanauma Bay Honolulu - in my experience there were tons of people! Lots of fish, but the coral is mainly all bleached and white. The fish are still worth going for though and easy to do on your own. I did see a couple of eels as well.

Our favourite snorkeling in Hawaii was our tour in Kona to Captain Cook's monument with Captain Zodiac. It was a great tour and amazing snorkeling. The coral is alive and there are tons of fish. It was great!

Two-Step [near Honaunau] is great [on Kona]. We had read that it's tough getting out there, but we had no problem. There IS a boat ramp nearby which you could use, I have heard.

We also really liked Kahalu'u Beach Park, which is a bit closer to Kona. A lot of lava to walk over [at Two-Step, too], but once you get in, it's like an aquarium!!

You might want to do a search on "Hawaii snorkeling", as there's a website that has very good descriptions of different sites in Hawaii. There are also books on Maui and the Big Island snorkeling, which I found by doing a search at Amazon.com. We bought the BI book and found it quite helpful. Then there are always the "blue books" [the "Revealed" series], although some people vehemently object to those because they feel the books don't respect private property enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived