Charleston Embarkation

Have read a few comments about embarkation in Charleston, but nothing definite.

1. How does it work?

2. Can you be dropped of at the Terminal?

3. Do they still have a gathering area then use buses to transport passengers to the main terminal?

4. If they use buses, are Platinum guests able to board a bus in front of others, or wait their turn?

We did a park and cruise package from a local hotel. The hotel shuttle drove us to the port. They let us off near where bags were checked/taken and we were directed to a waiting area with buses. Here, they had (very few) seats, and offered those waiting cool drinks. Not long thereafter, a Carnival shuttle bus arrived and drove us to the main terminal. The ride took about 10 min. I don't remember them allowing plantinum members to board the bus first when we were there, it was first come first serve.

We went inside and got on line, took about 15 minutes for us to check in, take pictures and we were sipping our first DODs in no time. I do believe vip/platinum guests had a special line in the main terminal, but I'm not 100% on that because we're not vip/platinum members.

Enjoy your cruise!

1. How does it work?

3. Do they still have a gathering area then use buses to transport passengers to the main terminal?

4. If they use buses, are Platinum guests able to board a bus in front of others, or wait their turn?

1. Don't arrive much earlier than 11:30am. You may have to wait or drive around until they open the gates for luggage and drop offs.

2. No, you go thru same line as above.

3. Yes you still ride the bus over.

4. First come/first served on buses.

Enjoy your cruise!

I also live in GA and it was nice to be able to drive there/back instead of having to fly.

DW and I always go in 1 day ahead whether driving or flying, so if we decide on Fantasy, will look for place with parking and shuttle package.

DW and I always go in 1 day ahead whether driving or flying, so if we decide on Fantasy, will look for place with parking and shuttle package.

We did the exact same thing. Don't do the Aloft park & cruise though, we had a bad experience & wouldn't recommend. Details are in the link to my trip report below if you're interested.

1. How does it work?

Georgiagolfer, As for #4 Platinum guests are just like everybody else until you go through security. Then you take a seperate route to get your sail & sign card. There is a VIP area at the end of the long row of check in counters. But they direct you to the next available person. They will go get your Platinum cards and you go past the photo takers, then upstairs. Once upstairs you have your photo taken for your S & S card, then you go on the ship. Really pretty quick. There is not a VIP lounge area like most ports.

DH and I hated this port. When we drove in it was like we kept driving in circles and sometimes it was a little confusing. But that was last year and maybe it will get better. As far as the Fantasy it was our first cruise and we loved it. We are from tennessee and it was not a bad drive. This year flying to Orlando and going out of Port Canaveral.

I highly recommend the park n cruise special at the Hampton Inn Mt Pleasant Patriots Point. Clean safe hotel, free breakfast, shuttle to/from port, close to Shem Creek restaurants and Patriots Point (stuff to do pre-cruise), just a quick hop over the bridge to downtown.

Archived