Swan Hellenic Minerva

comcox

Has anyone sailed on Minerva in the Aegean Deck, category A, cabins? These are mid-ship to forward and under the Gift Shop, Shackleton Lounge, and Darwin Lounge. I'm just wondering if the are any noise problems from above in those cabins. Right now I'm booked in A55.

Thanks for any information.

Hi Tamara,

We were on a cruise on Minerva with you last year. We have booked the cruise next year leaving from Aqaba! We also have booked a cabin on A deck ( on wait list for one on Baltic deck). We will/ may be under the Darwin Lounge and I wondered too about any noise from it.However the ship layout has changed from when we were on and it appears the new Orpheus lounge now has the late night ( if Minerva has any!) activities.

Jean

Hi Jean,

I'm sailing Colombo to Aqaba Feb/Mar 2013. They've got me in A55 which is under the gift shop and mid-ship but near the stairs. They've said no engine noise there. They also had a few cabins available under the Darwin Lounge, but I remembered the chairs often being dragged about in there. I've also asked to be waitlisted to Baltic, but the U.S. booking office didn't seem to know what to do about this so we'll see.

I can't wait to see the new upper lounge; it looks wonderful in the photos. I also looked a similar itinerary, but less expensive cruise, with Royal Caribbean but I'm afraid Swan has spoilt me.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hello, comcox & parapara,

I'm booked on Minerva's Dec 2012 Colombo - Singapore (incl Yangon).

This is my first on SH & have a GTY.

How do I find out when shore excursions will be announced? (Embarkation is Dec 19; checked today & shore excursions still not finalized).

Any info is grately appreciated!

Linda

Hi Linda,

They send out brochures with booking forms 10 weeks before sailing. Having said that, we had trouble getting them in New Zealand and ended up getting them sent by e-mail initially. Shouldn't be a problem in the States though.

Jean

Thx sooo much, Jean!

Go to know; I received today (fr SH via snail mail) instructions on visas. Good thing, as the Burmese one's cost is included in the cruise cost. Monday, I was going to send-off my passport for that...glad I rec'd that mail before my passport went b'bye for weeks!

On my last SH cruise I monitored the British website (www.swanhellenic.com) as they posted the Shore Ex booklet there first. Click on the Already Booked? tab on the top and then look for Cruise Information Books and from there to your cruise date. As Jean noted SH doesn't post the shore ex as early as American cruise lines do. Once I read thru the online booklet I made a list of the excursions I wanted and then emailed it to the U.S. booking office. My own booklet did not arrive by mail until very much later so I did get the jump on sign-ups.

Hi: I'm on the Minerva from Athens to Dubai, Nov 7 to Dec 5 or so. Their Florida office is great. They will email the book and excursion info as soon as they get it. I dealt with Alma. A great, responsive person!!!! Six weeks out is about the timeframe to ask for it. Then, select your shore excursions and fax the form to them. :)Tom

I sailed in Minerva in June to Norwegian Fiords and was in a similar cabin to you on the Aegian deck. There were no problems with noise. The speakers were exceptional (even by SH standards). The new lounge is a great improvement although I felt a little guilty at deserting Sir Mortimer Wheeler. I sail again next week but on Baltic deck - cheaper.

Mavie

You are lucky to get the Baltic deck. No matter how early I call for availability it seems the Baltic inside cabins are all taken. As soon as 2014 itineraries were announced I called on one cruise and was told they were all booked already. Had one been available I would have booked right away but the price of an Aegean cabin is just so much higher for this cruise I want. I'm wondering if SH holds them back for UK passengers only.

If you ring Swan Hellenic directly you will find how many cabins are available. I do not believe they are saved for UK cruisers. I have just been upgraded to a slightly better Baltic cabin because of their Price Promise. My original cabin will be sold at a slightly cheaper price than I paid. Swan therefore compensate those who booked earlier. I wonder if you are booking through an agent?

Like Tamara we are hoping to be able to get a cabin on the Baltic deck before we sail in March. We are on a wait list for one. We are booked on an inside one on Aegean deck and it is a lot more expensive than the lower deck so we have our fingers crossed.Ours is under the Dawin lounge. I presume the more "late night" entertainment is in the new Orpheus lounge now? In 2011 when we sailed on her we were right at the front ( almost) on Baltic deck and had no complaints. It was a good place to be. I wondered, too, if maybe there was a bit of a "have " going on re the lower cabins. As soon as we got the information about the cruise and the prices ( inside baltic were quoted) we made enquiries but they were all gone. I did look on the English website a short time later and it said they were booked so maybe they were booked very quickly.

Jean

If you ring Swan Hellenic directly you will find how many cabins are available. I do not believe they are saved for UK cruisers. I have just been upgraded to a slightly better Baltic cabin because of their Price Promise. My original cabin will be sold at a slightly cheaper price than I paid. Swan therefore compensate those who booked earlier. I wonder if you are booking through an agent?

Those of us in the U.S. have to book through the American office. The staff there is great, but all we seem to get is Category K and up offers. I've tried contacting the U.K. office directly but they just forward me back to U.S.

I am sympathetic to "overseas" people who want to book directly with Swan Hellenic and are overcharged by travel agents. We have Australian friends and they love Minerva. It would cost them double to book with a Swan agent. To book directly you must have an English address and all mail comes to that address and is dealt with there. You need someone totally reliable for this - like me! I fax relevant documents but post excursion booklet. If you have a suitable friend you can then get the cabin of your choice.

Hello, comcox & parapara,

I'm booked on Minerva's Dec 2012 Colombo - Singapore (incl Yangon).

This is my first on SH & have a GTY.

How do I find out when shore excursions will be announced? (Embarkation is Dec 19; checked today & shore excursions still not finalized).

Any info is grately appreciated!

Linda

On the British SH website the Cruise Book for Colours of India, Dec. 5th cruise just got posted so yours should not be too far behind--perhaps a week or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Comcox,

My TA phoned SH last week. SH told her that it will be approx 3 more weeks before I should receive the shore excursion forms (postal mail & I'm in the US). Seems a bit late as SH wants the shore excursion forms via postal mail w my preferences filled-out.

This all contradicts what SH told me on Facebook (that the shore excursions would be available (online?) last week). However, the shore excursions still are not on SH's website.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also sailing on Minerva May 2013 Baltic Splendour.

We might take the National Express bus from Heathrow to

Portsmouth Cruise Terminal. Can anyone advise how we get

from the bus terminal in Portsmouth to the Minerva? Will the

Minerva docked there be walking distance from the terminal

or do we take a taxi, we will have luggage with us.

Thank you.

Rusty

• 2 weeks later...
We are also sailing on Minerva May 2013 Baltic Splendour.

We might take the National Express bus from Heathrow to

Portsmouth Cruise Terminal. Can anyone advise how we get

from the bus terminal in Portsmouth to the Minerva? Will the

Minerva docked there be walking distance from the terminal

or do we take a taxi, we will have luggage with us.

Thank you.

Rusty

The National Express bus stops right outside the cruise terminal entrance. So need for taxis etc. You just check in at the desk and let them take care of the rest! You then take a shuttle bus from the terminal to the ship as no-one is allowed to walk around the area.

I haven't sailed from there myself, I have just visited for the day before, watching everyone else go off on wonderful cruises! :o

• 1 month later...

Archived