I NEED HELP, as I am getting so confused :(

cjankowski

Hi

We are booked for June 2013 out of Seattle, WA we go to Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, & Victoria, BC.

My questions are:

1) Is there any place in these ports for son to sled dogs?

2) Is there any place in these ports for us to do whale watching?

For some reason I am totally confused and seems that only places I find are not in our ports of call.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT. Before I need to rebook this cruise, I did this one as it seemed to be the best for husband who has MS. We have crusied before but this one is getting to me really bad with all this planning.

Okay - well I just re-looked at my paperwork. We do stop in Juneau!!!! I missed that somewhere so that will help out - I hope.

I think I am just really overthing this cruise for some reason and making it way more work and planning than I really need to.

So a few options are:

Rent a car in skagway and drive to carcross for dog sledding give it about a 5 hour trip but the scenery is stunning.

Whale watching in Juneau, do a search on CC for whale watching and read the threads very full of info.

And like you said don;t over think it will get overwhelming! Have fun!:D

Cjankowski, if you are looking for dogsledding, just realize that what you get at Caribou Crossing on the drive out from Skagway is not really dogsledding but only a ride in a wheeled cart pulled by dogs.

However, if your son is young he most likely would enjoy it and not know the difference or care.

If you rent a car in Skagway, the scenic drive up to Emerald Lake is well worth taking, with or without the stop at Caribou Crossing.

It is a very easy drive where can go at your own pace, stopping when and where you want.

If you go, print out and take along a copy of Murray's Guide. It tells you everything to see and do along the way, just like having Murray right there in the car with you.

Juneau is a great location for whale watching. If you take a whale watching excursion there, you most definitely will see humpbacks, and may see orcas as well.

Although there is a good likelihood of seeing orcas on the tours out of Victoria, we understand that they can be hit or miss there.

So if you are going to do only one whale watching excursion, Juneau would be preferable.

A big attraction at Victoria is Butchart Gardens, if you have any interest in beautiful gardens.

If you tell us which ship you are planning to take and which date, someone here will give you a link to the rollcall for your cruise, where you can receive information from others who will be on the same cruise.

There is a heli tour out of Juneau and Skagway that lands on an icefield above a glacier and does a dogsled ride on the glacial ice - There is usually one of these offered on most cruise lines - as well as independent vendors. You might try looking here for more ideas on what to do in what AK port - after you take a good look at your ports of call - http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

I think the best option for dog-sledding is the helicopter glacier/dog sled tours. I don't know what your budget is, but any of the helicopter excursions are pricey (but, IMO, totally worth the price). If you go this route, however, be warned that helicopter excursions are among the most-cancelled excursions due to weather/fog on the glaciers. Although your money will get refunded in this case, just be ready with a backup plan. Hope this helps!

Also, I completely agree that Juneau is your best option for whale-watching.

I typed "skagway dogsledding" and "Juneau whatewatching" and got lots of relevant hits. Have you tried using simple searches in Google for yur different ports?

DON

If people's questions bother you so much, why do you read travel forums?

Some friends of ours just returned yesterday from their AK cruise. They went to a sled-dog demonstration in Skagway and loved it. They were able to see and handle puppies as well as some of the adult dogs. They said the show was well worth the money, but I don't know how much it was. I can ask them for the name of the company and how much it was.

Some people on our cruise used Temsco Helicopters in Skagway for their Glacier/Dogsledding tour. I know that when we were in Skagway those choppers were taking off and landing every 15 min or so. I did not get a chance to talk with them. BTW Temsco operates the tour out of either Juneau or Skagway - it sounds like fun. - more fun than the dog sled carts.

Archived