3 night pre-cruise Machu Picchu Tour

Sara Dill

We would like to do a pre cruise to Machu Picchu in January 2013...we get on the ship on Jan 23rd so could easily do a 4 day trip to Machu Picchu and Cusco. We would like to get some info. from anyone that has done this. Thanks.

We would like to do a pre cruise to Machu Picchu in January 2013...we get on the ship on Jan 23rd so could easily do a 4 day trip to Machu Picchu and Cusco. We would like to get some info. from anyone that has done this. Thanks.

Sarah-

I see that this was your first Posting.....Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The thing is that since this question is only of interest to others who are sailing with you on a particular cruise, Forum rules require that you use the Roll Call section:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

First look for your Cruise Line, then the name of your ship, and finally your Sailing Date. There you will be "connected" with your shipmates.

Enjoy your cruise AND Machu Picchu, it is spectacular! :D

Hi Sara, Welcome to Cruise Critic and Oceania. :)

Does the following itinerary look familiar?

map-lg-REG130123.jpg

If so, then you are on the "South America Explorer" on Regatta cruise and the roll call is right here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1500458

You'll find others on that cruise, some experienced Oceania cruisers, and that would be a good place to discuss tours pre-, post-, and during your cruise.

If you want to do the tour before you board the ship, I suggest you post your question on the Ports area of Cruise Critic. You would probably get more answers there than here on the Oceania board. I know of a couple that did that tour before they joined our cruise starting from Valparaiso last February and they had a fabulous time.

It makes sense to post your inquiry right here since some of us not on your cruise have visited this remarkable place and could give you some useful info/advice. For one thing 12,000' altitude may be difficult for some people. It's quite a shock to get off the plane from sea level Lima!

I agree that this is as good a place as any to ask about a place though there are others. I am not going on a cruise to Peru but will take any opportunity to encourage people to see Cuzco and Machu Picchu. It is important to remember as said above to think about altitude, Cuzco is 11,000 feet high. We went to Cuzco and Machu Picchu in the late 70s. I experienced mild altitude sickness even though I was still in my 20s then-you either do or do not. Just eat lightly and walk slowly the first day or two.

The trip to Machu Picchu is very interesting (then it was a long train ride back and forth and a whole day's trip, maybe it is faster now. It was fun.) and I still remember taking a van up a mountain and suddenly coming upon the ruins at the very top. Remember that most of the artefacts found here are in museums in Cuzco and Lima-you will see mainly ruined buildings but what a view!

Cuzco is also very interesting in terms of architecture and info about the Incas etc. Three days sounds busy but maybe about right. Lima also has great museums if you go there on the way to Cuzco. It is a great pre-trip if you are interested in these places but do remember you are in the higher Andes.

I do encourage a trip to Machu Picchu and Cuzco - we did it as an extension of a Galapagos cruise, with Lindblad. The only negative is the altitude, which caused some problems for my husband despite Diamox and various teas. The site is spectacular and just leaves you scratching your head - the most common question I heard up there was "How did they do this?" There is a hotel right at the entrance with about 40 rooms - everybody else has to come up and leave on a bus from Agua Calientes, unless they hike the Inca trail, so you get sunrises and sunsets to yourself if you stay there. Cuzco is a colorful city and well worth a night or two - they have a hotel that used to be a monastery, aptly called Montasterio, which is wonderful.

I agree with the poster who suggested you post this on the Ports of Call section. I also recommend Trip Advisor for recommendations and you may want to check out the Lindblad/National Geographic board, and their website to see their itinerary to get some ideas.

I agree that this is as good a place as any to ask about a place though there are others. I am not going on a cruise to Peru but will take any opportunity to encourage people to see Cuzco and Machu Picchu. It is important to remember as said above to think about altitude, Cuzco is 11,000 feet high. We went to Cuzco and Machu Picchu in the late 70s. I experienced mild altitude sickness even though I was still in my 20s then-you either do or do not. Just eat lightly and walk slowly the first day or two.

The trip to Machu Picchu is very interesting (then it was a long train ride back and forth and a whole day's trip, maybe it is faster now. It was fun.) and I still remember taking a van up a mountain and suddenly coming upon the ruins at the very top. Remember that most of the artefacts found here are in museums in Cuzco and Lima-you will see mainly ruined buildings but what a view!

Cuzco is also very interesting in terms of architecture and info about the Incas etc. Three days sounds busy but maybe about right. Lima also has great museums if you go there on the way to Cuzco. It is a great pre-trip if you are interested in these places but do remember you are in the higher Andes.

We have always wanted to go to Cuzco and Maccu Picchu but shied away from this trip because of the altitude -- now I am wondering if we have to worry or not. For the last 13 years, we have lived at 6000' -- our bodies had to adapt to that elevation. Would our bodies now think that going to 11000' is the same as someone else going up 5000' and not have as bad a reaction?

Thanks in advance for the information,

Billie

We have always wanted to go to Cuzco and Maccu Picchu but shied away from this trip because of the altitude -- now I am wondering if we have to worry or not. For the last 13 years, we have lived at 6000' -- our bodies had to adapt to that elevation. Would our bodies now think that going to 11000' is the same as someone else going up 5000' and not have as bad a reaction?

Thanks in advance for the information,

Billie

Mountain Grandma: Maybe. Not being a doctor, I can offer neither reassurance nor warning. I can tell you that having had no negative effects from altitude at 6,000 feet--think Mexico City, Santa Fe--is no guarantee that you will be untroubled in Peru. Note that a number of the hotels--well, at least one, though can't think of its name--offer rooms with extra oxygen. Also, you can buy cans with oxygen in Cuzco. Very helpful if you get short of breath.

One caveat. We were in the Atacama, the great Chilean desert, at a hotel at 10,000 feet. Climbed another 3,000. One of the people on the trip had a heart attack, and was eventually medevaced to Santiago. One hopes he fully recovered. He was, as I recall, in his 50's, and done a fair amount of Alpine hiking in France.

The moral--if any--being that you never know. Perhaps ask your internist?

We went to Cuzco with our asthmatic friend and her husband who had a cardiac stent. We were worried for them, but they were fine and the guy lying in the street, unable to lift us head was my incredibly healthy 45 year old (at the time) husband. It is hard to predict who gets altitude sickness - I get seasick easily, but was fine in Cuzco. Hotels do have oxygen and provide the teas and we took Diamox (Careful-everything will taste metallic). My husband took a two hour nap and then felt fine.

We did M.P. on our own with Orient-Express 7 years ago, in January, pre-Crystal cruise from Santiago, Chile.

It was 5 days then, Lima, Cuzco, M.P., Cusco, Lima. Looked at their website just now, and, now they include one day at Sacred Valley, with 6 days total.

You do the Hiram Bingham train from/to Cuzco which gives you a full afternoon and then the better part of the next day at M.P.; you overnight there.

We were recommended by Seabourn travelers the year before in South America...........great recommendation!!:)

We did both Cuzco and Machu Picchu several years ago as part of a larger trip to Peru. Booked it with Inkaterra, who did an outstanding job. They recommended we start in Machu Picchu and then go to Cuzco, as M.P. is at a lower altitute than Cuzco, so there's time to acclimate. They provided private driver and guides as needed, and it worked out great and not terribly expensive. The M.P. Pueblo Hotel in Aquas Calientes is just lovely and while not cheap, far less than the Sanctuary Hotel. And it's not a big deal to take the bus up; we went with a guide early in the morning and got there for sunrise. Just spectacular. Do not hesitate to go!

It is hotel Monasterio in Cuzco that has oxygen available in room (was extra charge when we were there in '08).

http://www.monasteriohotel.com/web/ocus/hotel_monasterio.jsp

Good for a peace of mind (and better night's sleep), if nothing else.

Thank you. Obviously one lingering effect of oxygen deprivation is lingering loss of memory. And I hope that is all it is.

Archived