Hows this stateroom?

Sailor wanna be

Hi

I just found out we're in stateroom 6295; B3 Deck 6.

Can anyone tell me about this cabin? Will be sailing July 05 and we're pretty concerned to be at the very BACK of the ship in a balcony (thinking about motion, sea sickness, etc). Anyone been in this cabin can tell me abou it?

Are balcony rooms nice?

Your comments would be appreciated.

SWB

SWB,

I sure can't answer as I haven't been aboard yet, but I wondered something.

While out to sea, do waves affect you as high up as the 6th deck? If so, how does the water drain? How large are the holes for drainage, ie, would a book, glass or bottle be able to slide through and out to sea.

Ahhh, all the mysteries that await me! :)

I was in a balcony cabin on 11 deck for an Atlantic crossing and barely noticed any movement whatsoever -- which I was amazed at since even a little movement at the bottom of such a tall structure would seem to want to translate to something much bigger at the top. I had been concerned about it before departure and found there was nothing to worry about.

QM2 will let you know from time to time (and gently) that you are not in a landlocked major hotel, but that is about it. The ship has an elaborate system of stabilizers (your body does too! :) ) to keep her steady under all but the worst conditions.

Drains are everywhere on the exterior, including on your cabin's balcony: it's a ship after all, and they are constantly hosing down everything to keep the salt at bay etc. so good drainage is a must.

On 6 Deck, yes, you could be affected (only) by extremely rough Atlantic seas. You would likely have plenty of warning about this, and such conditions would also probbably mean that access to the Promenade deck (7) would be temporarily restricted as well. This happened on the Maiden Westbound crosssing a year ago last month.

Very little risk of anything blowing overboard from a cabin balcony, but it could happen relatively easily on the open public decks.

Crouton

you mentioned that there is very little risk of anything blowing overboard from a cabin balcony - could say a pair of shoes slip out through the opennings?

(I'm just curious as to the size of the drainage in the baloconies)

Thank you Crouton for your insights.

The trip I'm planning is to be a surprise for my wife. I've tried not to be too cheap about it, but when I saw that it was at the very back of the ship, actually the very last cabin on deck 6, I wondered if I've done well or not.

I've never cruised, so I thouhtt a balcony would be particularly nice.

Hows the clothes storage? Is it comfortable enough for 2?

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

SWB

We had a nearby room (6265) for the 4/16 transatlantic, and loved the deck and cabin location. May 2004 we had a balcony on the 4th deck, and were not impressed enough to book a balcony again - however we were upgraded from an oceanview. Having the extra height made a difference in how much we enjoyed having the balcony. Understand you will not be having breakfast out there; it was very pleasant having the view and a place to stick your head out. My parents had an oceanview while their cabin was larger, ours was more pleasant to be in. I especially enjoyed being aft when we hit seas, the motion was considerably less than in the bow. I also noticed more motion even 1 deck up. The only downside to being that far aft is the walk to the staircase leading to the Britannia - but the exercise was needed, so no complaints.

You'll have an amazing trip!

J Urban

Hi

I just found out we're in stateroom 6295; B3 Deck 6.

Can anyone tell me about this cabin? Will be sailing July 05 and we're pretty concerned to be at the very BACK of the ship in a balcony (thinking about motion, sea sickness, etc). Anyone been in this cabin can tell me abou it?

Are balcony rooms nice?

Your comments would be appreciated.

SWB

SWB, we are in 6175 on the August 9th crossing, please let us know how it was on Deck 6 upon your return. Thank you.:)

I was in a balcony cabin on 11 deck for an Atlantic crossing and barely noticed any movement whatsoever -- which I was amazed at since even a little movement at the bottom of such a tall structure would seem to want to translate to something much bigger at the top. I had been concerned about it before departure and found there was nothing to worry about.

QM2 will let you know from time to time (and gently) that you are not in a landlocked major hotel, but that is about it. The ship has an elaborate system of stabilizers (your body does too! :) ) to keep her steady under all but the worst conditions.

Drains are everywhere on the exterior, including on your cabin's balcony: it's a ship after all, and they are constantly hosing down everything to keep the salt at bay etc. so good drainage is a must.

On 6 Deck, yes, you could be affected (only) by extremely rough Atlantic seas. You would likely have plenty of warning about this, and such conditions would also probbably mean that access to the Promenade deck (7) would be temporarily restricted as well. This happened on the Maiden Westbound crosssing a year ago last month.

Very little risk of anything blowing overboard from a cabin balcony, but it could happen relatively easily on the open public decks.

Thank God they have finally perfected a ship that let's one feel as though one is on terra firma! Now those if us who wish to get to England (and back) without the nasty business of actually being at sea have an option other than a quick 'plane trip across the pond. With luck the folks at Princess will someday launch a 170,000 ton hovercraft that can carry 5,000 motion-intolerant passengers across the Atlantic in 2 days without so much as a drop of seawater touching her windscreen. Now THAT would be "The Only Way To Cross".

Richard

Oddly enough, I found that the aft section on deck 6 seems to have more motion and more vibration noise than it did when QM2 first set sail (when the whole ship seemed motionless, despite waves). If you are prone to seasickness, it might be wiser to change to a cabin which is more midship.

My major concern about being near the stern of any vessel is vibration from the propellers or, on many of my cruises, the paddlewheel.

I am booked on the QM2 for one of her trips 'round the Horn next year. When I told the Cunard/Princess reservationist that I did not want a stateroom near the stern because of vibration, she told me that there is no vibration on the QM2 because of her having pods. That sort of left me in the dark, because now I have no idea what that trembling I felt was as a looked out over the great ship's wheelwash!

Archived