Pencil Liners

Okay, the cosmetic thread got me to thinking about a frustration I have. I don't know if I am just inept or what - but I can never sharpen a pencil type liner. (Eye liners for me because I can't wear lipstick due to allergies). I have mainly used the automatic or self sharpening ones but they are limited in color. For my last cruise, I picked up a new color and now it is time to sharpen it. Am I just using a poor, cheap sharpener, or cheap eye liner, or what?

Anyone have any tips or suggestions or products to use? Please take pity on me :o , I am embarassed to ask anyone IRL

Making the tip cold will make sharpening easier.

My faucet gives me really cold water, so I run the tip of my eye pencil under the icy water for a few minutes before sharpening. This really helps alot. If your faucet doesn't have very cold water, then keep some in the fridge and use that for pouring. Though I haven't tried this, but perhaps putting the pencil in the freezer for a few minutes before sharpening would work too?

I use the Chanel eye pencils and a Chanel sharpener and have never had any problems with with sharpening or with applying the product on my eyes.

Jane

Do as Jane110 says, try putting your eye pencils in the refrigerator. I have used MAC pencils and bought their sharpener. However, last week I had permanent eyeliner done. It is absolutely fabulous!! I only wish I had it done sooner.

Lisa :)

I use Covergirl brand for the eyeliner and just a cheapo $1.50 makeup sharpener and never have problems.

Specifically, what kind of problems are you having?

The problem is that the eyeliner part of the pencil always breaks!

So getting the pencil cold will help harden the liner and help to keep it from breaking?

Putting it in the freezer does work, and it doesn't have to be in for long, maybe 20 mins. on the top shelf.

You don't need to sharpen it to a sharp pencil point. Just gently turn it to get enough product exposed that you won't be dragging wooden edges across your lips or eyes.

HTH

Mnfamilycrusier - I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have been so frustrated for years because I'd wind up losing most of the stupid pencil in the dang sharpener - no matter what kind of pencil I used. One day I was in Nordstroms, and on a whim I bought a Tweezerman sharpener. - I think it was about $3.

The package indicated that it was made especially for cosmetic pencils, and would not break the leads. Well - it works!! It is terrific - it has an extremely sharp blade, and dual openings for the fatter pencils. Even has a clear plastic compartment that holds in the shavings til lyou open it and let them out.

I highly recommend this sharpener.

Archived