Red Bay (Baie Rouge)

Poppet1964

I've been researching the beaches in St. Martin. I'd like to go to the open air market in the am and a beach after that. Baie Rouge is a top candidate from what I've researched, but I don't see much about it here on CC. Anyone have any experience with it? Water clean? Facilities?

Is it too far out to go from the ship?

The other one I've been looking at is Pinel Island. Not sure I want to restrict myself to a 'ferry' to get back to the ship in the afternoon?

Thanks!

Pros: Long, mostly undeveloped beach, clean, two beach concessions, usually uncrowded, OK snorkeling.

Cons: No waiting cabs for a return trip, very soft sand, more wave action and undertow than many places on island, and a long way from pier.

I'd strongly consider renting a car. If you do, leave nothing of value in it and allow plenty of time to get back.

Pros: Long, mostly undeveloped beach, clean, two beach concessions, usually uncrowded, OK snorkeling.

Cons: No waiting cabs for a return trip, very soft sand, more wave action and undertow than many places on island, and a long way from pier.

I'd strongly consider renting a car. If you do, leave nothing of value in it and allow plenty of time to get back.

This used to be my favorite beach back in the early 90's but things have changed so much here with the "wave action" with which we had a terrifying experience with back in '06 as well as the atmosphere of the beach. Last summer when we stopped here the beach had a flea market feel to it. The chairs were all placed haphazardly on the beach and there were makeshift stalls with clothes hung up to be sold but it looked like laundry hung up. We did not stay. I will stop by again on my upcoming visit to see if things have changed in regard to this.

This used to be my favorite beach back in the early 90's but things have changed so much here with the "wave action" with which we had a terrifying experience with back in '06 as well as the atmosphere of the beach. Last summer when we stopped here the beach had a flea market feel to it. The chairs were all placed haphazardly on the beach and there were makeshift stalls with clothes hung up to be sold but it looked like laundry hung up. We did not stay. I will stop by again on my upcoming visit to see if things have changed in regard to this.

Thank you both! The above doesn't sound like what I"m looking for. Any suggestions? Another one that looked promising was Dawn Beach?

Thank you both! The above doesn't sound like what I"m looking for. Any suggestions? Another one that looked promising was Dawn Beach?

I love Mullet Bay Beach. It can get busy though and you have to leave plenty of time to get back from that side of the island.

Dawn is close to the port and nice but the waves can get a little rough. If you have kids I would choose a different beach but for adults it is a good choice for a cruise visit.

Archived