What's There to do in Alyeska?

msiowa

We're in Alyeska for a night and a whole morning. What should we do there??

Thanks!

Joanie

Hi Joanie!

Have a nice dinner, ride the lift, and perhaps take a stroll. There is not much around the hotel.

If you are a hiker there is plenty to do. There are also a couple of pretty nice gift shops in the area, one used to be my mothers favorite. “Gifts of Jade”, the Kobuk Valley Jade Company owns it. She used to love to visit gift shops and that one was her favorite in Alaska, even though she lived down at Cordova. We spent the night down there about 6 weeks ago, for my birthday. The Alyeska Resort has a shuttle and they told me they would drop off and pick up anywhere in the area.

A tram ride to the top of Mt. Alyeska is a must. Lots of nice places to eat around there too. The Double Musky is my favorite and a favorite among Alaskans. You won't find it advertised many places since it is so popular anyway. We ate there for my birthday dinner. It was as good as ever. If you are a red meat eater then that is the place for you. They order meat in conjunction with the Club Paris here in Anchorage, also one of the best in Alaska for steaks, from some exotic location, and get the best I have ever tasted. Try their Pepper Steak. “The Bake Shop” for breakfast and lunch is another favorite. It has been around for a long time, is part of the resort, but in the old complex portion, not in the new Alyeska Prince Hotel. We stayed in the Prince and they are keeping it up well even though the winter ski crowd can be pretty tough on a place like that with impressive furnishings here and there.

We did the dogsledding from Alyeska Ski Resort last summer and had a blast! My husband, 16 year-old son, and I went. They helicopetered us up to Punchbowl Glacier in the Chugach National Forest and dropped us off. It was just the three of us and the two mushers.

Incredibly beautiful and serene. We pet the dogs, walked around, talked to Dario (musher and owner), and finally rode the dogsleds. It was a beautiful sunny day--about 60 degrees. We took about a 1 mile loop around the glacier. There were 2 sleds. We stopped 3 times to trade positions and rest the dogs. We each had the chance to "drive" or ride in the sled. We took lots of pictures and he also took pictures of us with my camera. We talked to him a lot about dog sledding, Iditarod racing, and life in Alaska. He was very patient and friendly, and it was a very personlaized trip (about 2 hours total). Probably the highlight of our trip! My son had been waiting all summer for it and was not disappointed. It was a little pricey but definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Here the link if you are interested:

http://www.alaska.org/girdwood/chugach-express.jsp

Good luck and have fun!

Archived