Airport lounges - thumbs up or down - guidance needed

Our flight is 08:25 from Manchester and I'm wondering whether to book one of the lounges. We're staying overnight in the Crowne Plaza (checking in when we drop the car off on the Sunday night) so will need breakfast and certainly a reasonable amount to see us through the flight to Dalaman and transfer to Marmaris.

I've done this a few times on business trips at different airports and found the offering varies from decent and value for money to downright "saw her coming".

Any comments? Will it be worth our while? Will we get something reasonable to eat?

I'm weighing it up v the cost of terminal eateries (pun intended) and in-flight muck/total rip off. Other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

Our flight is 08:25 from Manchester and I'm wondering whether to book one of the lounges. We're staying overnight in the Crowne Plaza (checking in when we drop the car off on the Sunday night) so will need breakfast and certainly a reasonable amount to see us through the flight to Dalaman and transfer to Marmaris.

I've done this a few times on business trips at different airports and found the offering varies from decent and value for money to downright "saw her coming".

Any comments? Will it be worth our while? Will we get something reasonable to eat?

I'm weighing it up v the cost of terminal eateries (pun intended) and in-flight muck/total rip off. Other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

We have used the BMI lounge at Edinburgh and it was good. The servisair longe in Glasgow was poor. Overall, for us, not value for money even when discounted. If you are looking for something substantial to see you through the day I wouldn't recommend it.

We used the new one that opened at Manchester airport when we flew out to Santorini the year before last. We were quite impressed with the facilities. Hot meals were available as opposed to the cheese and biscuits at Glasgow airport. Sandwiches and snacks were put out at various times also. We were delayed 8 hours so were in the lounge practically all day. There was a scalextric track and computer games consoles to keep kids (and big kids!) occupied. It was nicely decorated and we enjoyed our stay.

It depends on how long it takes to get through security - If doing, purchase a fast track ticket to avoid the queue or you end up taking so long to get through it isn't worth the time

I hate Manchester airport - too many people often cramped into a small space and uncomfortable seats -this is when the lounge is good

I have an airport angel card that gives me free access to all lounges - the new one at Leeds Bradford and the Manchester one are all nice ones but I have to pay for my husband to join me and he doesn't think its worth it

Next time I will go into the lounge, have breakfast and meet him in the area where he is struggling to find a seat

We were thinking about booking into the lounge, at Manchester, before out flight in August, as the flight is an afternnon flight. however it would cost £60 for 3 of us,so I really don't think it is worth it.

Thanks for all your comments. I'm undecided so may pass on it.

Funny - I like Manchester airport. First time we flew from there (10 years ago) I vowed never again. But I had to use it for a flight for work some years later and saw how it's improved - so I happily use it now. And there's no hardship getting to and from.

I find the LBA lounge a rip-off but when we fly from there on a Friday the peace and quiet (and seat) away from the 10s of hen and stag parties is welcomed, even if the product itself isn't up to much.

Archived