"FREE" Upgrade Offer

Farhibide

I got an email this morning from NCL advertising "free" upgrades if I book before Friday.

Upon looking at the offer more closely, it appears that they raised the prices of the lower category rooms to make it seem as if you're getting a deal when, in reality, there has been NO CHANGE in the rates at all.

For example, on the sailing I'm considering, a Balcony was $899 yesterday. Today, you can book a Family Oceanview (lower category) and get a "free" upgrade to a Balcony for...$899. Either way, you get a balcony for $899. So, how is it a "free" upgrade?

Please, could someone tell me, what am I missing here?

Welcome to being a consumer. This is why I never wait for sales. They try selling the same product 10 different ways, while still ensuring their bottom line is a the same. Just like with cars, there are only a few times where it's actually all it's cracked up to be!

Well this happens every upgrade sale - people don't seem to understand they've changed the prices to reflect the sale.

They are upgrading you. The price on the website is the current sale price.

The lowest balcony is NOW (For the sale, during the sale only) the same price as the highest oceanview. So you can compare.

Before the sale, the balcony was NOT $899. (the sale prices were in their system yesterday FYI, so yesterday is sort of a figure of speech - last week the price was I'm sure different). It was whatever it was. Now so you can see the sale, the prices will match. The lowest priced balcony will be the same price as the highest priced Oceanview DURING THE SALE. Next week or whenever the sale is over the balcony will go back to it's price and the Oceanview will be $899.

So an OV1 is the highest oceanview category. BD is the lowest balcony category. Those 2 categories will have the same price during the sale so you can see that you're getting the BD (balcony) for the OV1 (oceanview) price.

Same as the mini-suite offer. My aft balcony on Breakaway (b1 - highest balcony category besides spa) is now $1099 which is the same price as the lowest mini-suite so I can upgrade to the minisuite for the same price as the regular aft balcony price. Before the sale, that minisuite was higher than $1099 (not sure what it was). I chose to keep my aft and lower the price!

They adjust the prices so you see what you're paying. It doesn't change at the end of your booking. You see the sale prices now.

Make sense?

(by the way I was using categories from Breakaway to explain, since I adjusted my price on my sailing because of this sale).

Welcome to being a consumer. This is why I never wait for sales. They try selling the same product 10 different ways, while still ensuring their bottom line is a the same. Just like with cars, there are only a few times where it's actually all it's cracked up to be!

Agree

OP if you do some research you will find the exact same type of threads as this every time this promotion comes up.

I will book at a price I want to pay and is worth it to me. Regardless to whether it has a "sale" sticker or it is the normal price. I am not drawn in by so called deals from any company. And you would be hard pressed, I believe, to find any large corporation who doesn't use these sales tactics. "Tell someone they are getting a deal, they won't have done any research, won't do any research and blindly believe you".

Well this happens every upgrade sale - people don't seem to understand they've changed the prices to reflect the sale.

The lowest balcony is NOW (For the sale, during the sale only) the same price as the highest oceanview. So you can compare.

Before the sale, the balcony was NOT $899. (the sale prices were in their system yesterday FYI, so yesterday is sort of a figure of speech - last week the price was I'm sure different). It was whatever it was. Now so you can see the sale, the prices will match. The lowest priced balcony will be the same price as the highest priced Oceanview DURING THE SALE. Next week or whenever the sale is over the balcony will go back to it's price and the Oceanview will be $899.

So an OV1 is the highest oceanview category. BD is the lowest balcony category. Those 2 categories will have the same price during the sale so you can see that you're getting the BD (balcony) for the OV1 (oceanview) price.

Same as the mini-suite offer. My aft balcony on Breakaway (b1 - highest balcony category besides spa) is now $1099 which is the same price as the lowest mini-suite so I can upgrade to the minisuite for the same price as the regular aft balcony price. Before the sale, that minisuite was higher than $1099 (not sure what it was). I chose to keep my aft and lower the price!

They adjust the prices so you see what you're paying. It doesn't change at the end of your booking. You see the sale prices now.

Make sense?

(by the way I was using categories from Breakaway to explain, since I adjusted my price on my sailing because of this sale).

This is the way it used to work when I first starting sailing with NCL but it doesn't always work out that way over the last few upgrade "sales they've had, depending on the sailing. I just did some research on a sailing in Sept 13.

O1 July 2nd $649

BD July 2nd $$839

Now 01 & BD are $889. I realize why they are both marked the same but they did up the price significantly on the OV for the "sale"

This is the way it used to work when I first starting sailing with NCL but it doesn't always work out that way over the last few upgrade "sales they've had, depending on the sailing. I just did some research on a sailing in Sept 13.

O1 July 2nd $649

BD July 2nd $$839

Now 01 & BD are $889. I realize why they are both marked the same but they did up the price significantly on the OV for the "sale"

Yeah, it's like airlines who change their prices every single hour. LOL.

I just wanted to explain why the 2 prices were the same on the website. It gets questioned every time there's an "upgrade" sale.

I did manage to get my Aft lowered $180 so I'm happy :)

Played the game yesterday. Booked on Breakaway 6/13, a few months ago. We were booked in a BA category. Yesterday, booked a catergory BC and was upgraded back to my original BA catergory and kept the same stateroom. Saved $60.00 on total of cruise. In addidition receieved added $50 OBC from my original $50 for a total of $100 OBC from NCL. Even the fact it's not much, it's something. Until the next promotion....

Make sense?

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I've been watching the prices on the May 2013 sailings for about two weeks. The 5/11 balcony has been $899 the entire time.

I felt the same way with the kids sail free. The up the price per person and it would have cost me $500 more to rebook.

I got an email this morning from NCL advertising "free" upgrades if I book before Friday.

Upon looking at the offer more closely, it appears that they raised the prices of the lower category rooms to make it seem as if you're getting a deal when, in reality, there has been NO CHANGE in the rates at all.

For example, on the sailing I'm considering, a Balcony was $899 yesterday. Today, you can book a Family Oceanview (lower category) and get a "free" upgrade to a Balcony for...$899. Either way, you get a balcony for $899. So, how is it a "free" upgrade?

Please, could someone tell me, what am I missing here?

The upgrades are "free" in that you are not charged an upgrade fee to change to the better room.

You should also note that the offer is for "free upgrades". That is it. It does NOT mention a sale and/or special sale pricing. There is no reason to expect any special lowering of the prices.

Best advice...as always...book early to get the best cabin location choice and the best price. You can always adjust if the price lowers before your cruise's final payment date...however, once the price is raised you'll be stuck with the higher price if you are not already booked.

Archived