Coki Beach from my 05/01/05 Destiny Review

KenMo

We got off the ship and hopped in a cab. We went to Coki Beach and just hung out for several hours. I really liked this beach. It's relatively small, kind of a cove area. You can rent a lounge chair for $5. Someone will come around and offer to sell you beer, soda, foo foo drinks. I just drank sodas, the guys had beer. I believe the beer was about $2.....coulda been $3. Right when we were getting ready to leave, a girl came around with free shots of Bushwackers. If you liked it, she'd sell you a regular sized drink. It was good, but very sweet. I didn't think I could drink a whole one, so we didn't buy any.

There are several trinket/t-shirt shops right there. Also, the yellow building is the restroom/changing room. It's pretty clean, considering it's right on the beach. There are also a couple of bars. But the guys on the beach will bring you whatever you want.....for a tip, of course!!!

The water here was excellent for snorkeling. The lounge chair guy gave us a couple of dog biscuits. Brian held one in the water and within seconds he was surrounded by at least 50 fish.....most of them angel fish. It was amazing!!!

We had made arrangements with our cab driver to pick us up around 1pm. He was there waiting for us. Even waited for us to finish shopping for our trinkets. The cab ride was $7 pp each way.

We got back to the ship around 2pm. We didn't think we'd have enough time to do anything if we got off the ship again after cleaning up.....so, we just stayed on board.

I wish we could have stayed at this port longer.....there is so much I wanted to do. Oh well.....maybe next time!!!

We got off the ship and hopped in a cab. We went to Coki Beach and just hung out for several hours. I really liked this beach. It's relatively small, kind of a cove area. You can rent a lounge chair for $5. Someone will come around and offer to sell you beer, soda, foo foo drinks. I just drank sodas, the guys had beer. I believe the beer was about $2.....coulda been $3. Right when we were getting ready to leave, a girl came around with free shots of Bushwackers. If you liked it, she'd sell you a regular sized drink. It was good, but very sweet. I didn't think I could drink a whole one, so we didn't buy any.

There are several trinket/t-shirt shops right there. Also, the yellow building is the restroom/changing room. It's pretty clean, considering it's right on the beach. There are also a couple of bars. But the guys on the beach will bring you whatever you want.....for a tip, of course!!!

The water here was excellent for snorkeling. The lounge chair guy gave us a couple of dog biscuits. Brian held one in the water and within seconds he was surrounded by at least 50 fish.....most of them angel fish. It was amazing!!!

We had made arrangements with our cab driver to pick us up around 1pm. He was there waiting for us. Even waited for us to finish shopping for our trinkets. The cab ride was $7 pp each way.

We got back to the ship around 2pm. We didn't think we'd have enough time to do anything if we got off the ship again after cleaning up.....so, we just stayed on board.

I wish we could have stayed at this port longer.....there is so much I wanted to do. Oh well.....maybe next time!!!

I've read in another post that this was a beach right off the main road and a bad area for thieves. Did you feel like you had to watch your stuff every minute there?

I've read in another post that this was a beach right off the main road and a bad area for thieves. Did you feel like you had to watch your stuff every minute there?

I never felt threatened in any way while at the beach. Of course, we didn't leave our stuff unattended. Someone always stayed with our belongings while the others played in the water. But, I would never leave belongings unattended at any beach, bar, restaurant, etc!

You need to be careful anywhere...not just the Virgin Islands.

Whatever you do, do NOT hang your belongings on the back of your chair. Put them by your feet where you can see them. I'd rather trip over my bag than have someone steal my belongings.

One couple I've spoken with had their belongings stolen off the backs of their chairs. They had hung their bags there and the thief just stuck his hand in there and helped himself. Another couple had them placed between their chairs and they also got ripped off.

You need to be careful anywhere...not just the Virgin Islands.

Whatever you do, do NOT hang your belongings on the back of your chair. Put them by your feet where you can see them. I'd rather trip over my bag than have someone steal my belongings.

One couple I've spoken with had their belongings stolen off the backs of their chairs. They had hung their bags there and the thief just stuck his hand in there and helped himself. Another couple had them placed between their chairs and they also got ripped off.

Out of curiosity now, did this happen at Coki? :eek:

Our family liked Coki even though it can get very crowded - if you get admission to Coral World (right next door) you have lockers and showers at your disposal and the kids really liked the exhibits. The snack bar there has shaded tables to get out of the sun for a while. The snorkeling is great!

Is Coral World worth the $15.00 admission fee? The underwater observatory right off shore (to look at a real life coral reef without diving) looks interesting.

We didn't go there, so I can't say if it would be worth it or not. Hopefully, someone else will post and let us know!!

Okay, reviewing our excursion options is fun, but let's get down to brass tacks...I just placed my Amazon order for several books to read on the trip...Five to be exact---No way I can read that many, but its a long plane flight from California, and that way, if one of them puts me to sleep I can tank it and move on to the next...Shawn also bought several shirts for me to wear and swore she was saving money the whole time..........Jim

We actually did the Snuba excursion at Coral World and the admission fee was included. If you have children the admission is probably worth it, they have turtles, stingrays(with posted feeding times), a touch pool and an underwater observatory. The snack bar and shaded tables are a better place to eat than the beach. There is also a nature walk with ducks & iguanas. You can see the whole thing in about and hour - but having the lockers & showers were almost worth $15 by themselves. You get an wristband and can travel back & forth to the beach via a wooden boardwalk.

Archived