Reentering the US and Customs Inspection..

M5M

Vancouver was the only exception... it was a nightmare where after customs and immigration, you has to exit and re check in as though you had never flown ! Then go through security, then US customs. Actual connection time in Vancouber was 4 hours to do all this

I recall it took well over an hour (maybe even close to 2?) for us leaving YVR for an originating not connecting flight, from check in/checking luggage through the final security checkpoint. This was just prior to the Winter Olympics in 2010 and one agent said this was the reason...but we were leaving the country. :)

There was one checkpoint, for paperwork I think, and they asked us how many bags we had checked. The agent was looking at a screen that showed photos of us putting our bags on the belt, which I had never seen before at other airports, or just haven't noticed. (Instead of the agent taking your bags at check in, you had to take them yourself to a separate area and put on a belt, which caused a backup.)

When we finally went through the last security checkpoint for us & our carry-on bags it was very slow. The agents went through every single bag after the x-ray, to the point of opening my makeup/toiletry bag to take out individual items, and opening anything that was zipped or otherwise closed. After the agent pawed my toothbrush I told her she could just throw it away. :rolleyes:

Passing along these details to add to your point - fair warning, allow LOTS of extra time at YVR. I can imagine on a day when multiple cruises are terminating that the time could be much longer than we experienced.

To the OP - In addition to planning for a longer connection time in EWR, I would have a back-up plan in mind should you miss connect at any later point, especially since you have 2 more flights once you arrive back in the U.S. and you describe your final destination as 'small.' You might not have a lot of options or room for error, but being prepared with alternatives might help things go smoother if things don't go smoothly. Enjoy your cruise!

in all the US Airports In which I have cleared customs you will NOT have to go throught security again.

In the course of your airline booking, the connection will be considered. The only exception will be if you foolishly booked, independently, another airline to save mony ( so you thought)

When you get your ticket BRussels to Home. Every connection and delay such as customs, will be factored in to the overall ticket. You will thus not need to worry about delays aor bags.. the overall ticket has it all.

This does not apply to canada, vancouver. and even on a US domestic flight that originates in the US and ends in the US, but connects via Vancouver Canada. I flew recently Hawaii to Seattle. Simple right !

Wrong... because for some strange reason the flight went Hawaii to LA, LA to Vancouver Can, and Vancouver to Seattle ! In every interantional airport except Vancouver, the act of connecting to a flight through the country, but not stopping in it, has a international transit area where you did not have to go through customs or immigration. You just changed gates in the secure area.

Not Vancouver !.. a connecting passenger from the US continuing on to the US, has to clear immigtation, then get his bags, have them inspected, then exit the customs hall to the street. I did not enjoy the lengthy lines and the canadian agents who upon seeing my US passport greeted me in French.. not english. Both of them because it took 2 of them in a kiosk to check my passport.

It gets better, wait. There ar few if any signs directing you to anywhere and no one to help :o.

Then stand in line at the airline check in counter in the main lobby, re chech your bag, have your bag and you searched by canadian secutity, then proceed to the US Customs and immigration for an entry and inspection!

I asked the US customs officer if the airport was the problem I experienced. He replied" you have no idea" and laughed:D. Then finaly cleared I walked the 1/2 mile to the gate ( no form of expedite belts) to arrive 20 min before my flight to Seattle 4 hours after landing in Vancouver.

I mention this airport in case anyone was foolish enough to use this airport other than to test you patients or unless you are a confirmed mascocist.

Seattle airport by contrast was a welcome dream... I would thus fly to seattle and take the train or ferry to Vancouver for any cruise....:eek:

In the course of your airline booking, the connection will be considered. The only exception will be if you foolishly booked, independently, another airline to save mony ( so you thought)

When you get your ticket BRussels to Home. Every connection and delay such as customs, will be factored in to the overall ticket. You will thus not need to worry about delays aor bags.. the overall ticket has it all.

I would advise the OP: study possible routes/connections, then book your preferred flights. An airline can absolutely book you with a tight connection that may be well within their minimum connection guidelines but may not offer an individual flyer the comfort level her or she would prefer. Or the timing may be based on a best-case scenario and doesn't leave much leeway for delays. Hence one should look at options and book accordingly, don't 'trust' the routing or timing the airline might recommend if you're not comfortable with it.

For example, my parents used to book a trip to Ireland almost every year. Delta would routinely try to book them with as little as an hour or so to connect in ATL from SAV/Savannah and they would routinely decline such a routing. They always wanted to build in a cushion, for weather especially, so they would allow 3 hours or more. Overkill perhaps, but as older folks connecting to a once-per-day International flight, they were more comfortable with a cushion much greater than DL's minimum connection guidelines.

The last couple of times I have returned from Europe through both Atlanta and Salt Lake City on Delta Airlines, we had to go through security again once we cleared customs and rechecked our bags to our next flight both on Delta. I question the statement that you will not have to go through security again in that what would stop you from transferring an unauthorized item from your checked bag to you carry-on during the custom clearing time?

Thanks for the heads up.

Vancouver just went on my never fly into or out of or deal with airport list.

Don't take everything you read as gospel. I've flown in and out of Vancouver many, many times. I've never had a bad experience. Toronto is not my favorite because it's always been bad for me. Others think it's fine.

Don't take everything you read as gospel. I've flown in and out of Vancouver many, many times. I've never had a bad experience. Toronto is not my favorite because it's always been bad for me. Others think it's fine.

Groan...... what's a girl to think? :D

I just recovered from Boston to Seattle to Boston and I can't even think of enduring what was described for that Vancouver transit. That is definitely out of my 'comfort zone'. :D

...I can't even think of enduring what was described for that Vancouver transit. That is definitely out of my 'comfort zone'. :D

Frankly, that's a very unusual situation, and there are parts of that story that just don't add up -- I wouldn't worry about it. ;) If one were doing an Alaska cruise, for example, the process at YVR would simply start at check-in, and would only have one trip through security along with US pre-clearance.

Don't take everything you read as gospel. I've flown in and out of Vancouver many, many times. I've never had a bad experience.........
We also have had departures when everything went smoothly, but we have had other times with lengthy delays.

Our worst departure from YVR occurred right before the Olympics when they had just installed a new security system that was malfunctioning. It took well over 3 hours just to get from the ticket counter to the departure gate.

Fortunately for departing passengers, they held all the outbound flights to the USA long beyond their scheduled departure times.

Unfortunately for passengers with downline connections, most missed their connecting flights.

The Vancouver people held the outbound flights so they could get rid of us that day and not need to deal with facing the same unhappy mob again the next day, when conditions would have been even worse.

When flying out of YVR to the USA, there is the disadvantage of going through the extra processing necessary to clear US customs and immigration before boarding the plane.

But then you gain the advantage of not needing to go through it when you land in the USA, so you can walk right out, just as when arriving on any domestic flight.

Groan...... what's a girl to think? :D

I just recovered from Boston to Seattle to Boston and I can't even think of enduring what was described for that Vancouver transit. That is definitely out of my 'comfort zone'. :D

It's all relative - Vancouver is much more relaxing than Heathrow!

Archived