Anyone been to marseille recently?

The Med

The reason that I have not put this on the ports of call board is that I want to know from people who have been there recently on Royal Caribbean.

We want to know how to get from the port to town and some cruises offer a free shuttle but I have heard that RC charge $25 per person which is ridiculous for a journey of a few miles.

Also is it true that taxis won't take you to the station as they want to do day tours and won't take anyone for a short ride?

If you have been there how did you get to town? Where is the bus stop?

The reason that I have not put this on the ports of call board is that I want to know from people who have been there recently on Royal Caribbean.

We want to know how to get from the port to town and some cruises offer a free shuttle but I have heard that RC charge $25 per person which is ridiculous for a journey of a few miles.

Also is it true that taxis won't take you to the station as they want to do day tours and won't take anyone for a short ride?

From the ports of call boards: Both of these threads address your questions.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1652279

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1667785

I had already read those from the ports section, but I wanted to hear from people who had been recently.....as in the last week or so.

Also on those links one person said it was $25 and another said $12, which is why I came to the RC section to check which was the correct one.

But no replies so I guess we will take a ship tour which we not like doing really, we much prefer to DIY.

It all depends on your life experience, but we found Marseille to be quite a small town when we visited by land. We had a rental car; the driving in France is pretty easy if you're American, as it's right side and well-signed. I don't know how long your port day is, but I'd sure consider a car rental and probably going somewhere out of the city into the region, depending on your interests. We found car rentals easy to arrange when we cruised the Med--some agencies will even bring cars to certain cruise terminals.

The viamichelin.com site is, not surprisingly, a fabulous online resource for France, where the Michelin guides originated. I love their custom road trip mapping feature. If you're a foodie, you can plan your day around a Michelin star lunch. If you're a history buff, it will show you sites in the locale. You get the picture!

We came back from Marseille in June and had a wonderful day. The return shuttle bus was $12 with NCL. WE opted fro the hop on hop off bus which we pre booked from Viator. They were doing a lot of improvement works in the harbor and pat of the are was closed off. have a great time.

Archived