Dream - Latin Gems

Hi Guys, i know you are all thinking about your summer hols but i wondered if anybody had done the Latin Gems cruise which takes in Aruba and St Lucia. Would be interested to know if it is good.

Also if you did any tours i would like to know which to avoid. We have done a number of Thomson cruises but not done any trips. General feedback from other cruisers are that some are good and some not worth it. Any feedback would be greatly welcome.:)

Hi Guys, i know you are all thinking about your summer hols but i wondered if anybody had done the Latin Gems cruise which takes in Aruba and St Lucia. Would be interested to know if it is good.

Also if you did any tours i would like to know which to avoid. We have done a number of Thomson cruises but not done any trips. General feedback from other cruisers are that some are good and some not worth it. Any feedback would be greatly welcome.:)

Yes, the Caribbean itineraries are all very good. There are some reviews on here if you do a search (Search this Forum tab top right of threads table - put in Latin Gems - you should get a lot of threads which relate to this itinerary).

Can definitely recommend Cosol Tours in St Lucia. We did it earlier this year after reading recommendations from other CCers and were not disappointed. We had a fantastic day.

http://cosol-tours.com/

The Caribbean ports of call are very easy to do your own thing - lots of taxis port side doing beach transfers etc cheaper than the ship's equivalent. You should be able to read what other members have done at the various ports and see whether they appeal.

I have been to Aruba a couple of time on holiday with Thomson. Where the ship docks in Oranjestad, if you just want to wonder there are some very nice shops just minutes away and also the famous flamingo island which you can get the renaissance complimentary boat over to from just by Starbucks in the lobby area of the main hotel block (just wander in as if you are staying in the hotel!!). Aruba is beautiful, you will love it.

We loved every place apart from Margarita Island. We wished we had stayed on the beach instead. The tour we did was called relaxing Margarita, do avoid. We complained and got half our money back.

Yes you are right - Margarita Island is a weak link. I have no idea why they persisit in going there (I suppose the distances work between other islands they are visiting) but we have been twice - once we did a tour which was very unmemorable - perhaps that's the one you did - the second time we did a different trip which takes you to the capital of the island - again quite unmemorable! So I really don't think there is much to see on the trips. The 'port' is in the middle of nowhere too - just the market stalls, a nice beach bar and small safe beach for getting in the water but in comparison to the other ports of call it's very down beat.

Interesting how quickly Thomson 'responded to customers views' and changed Brindisi from the Adriatic itinerary (when in fact there is the gorgeous Alberobello UNESCO village to visit - although I agree Brindisi itself hadn't much to offer) but have been going to Margarita Island for four years to my knowledge with not a lot to commend it - but still don't change it!!!! :confused: Hmmmmmmmmmm.............. think they have ulterior motives!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Quite useful.

We have done a number of cruises with Thomson's and i do wonder sometimes why they call at certain places. We did greek islands last october and i wondered why we called at Athens, surely there must be other islands that are more worthy of a visit than this city. Couldnt wait to get back on board due to the traffic fumes. Also in Feb our cruise called at Morrocco. Whilst in weather terms it was our best day everyone seemed to prefer to stay on board instead of being hassled.

Anyway once again thanks looks like i will be booking this week. ( a bit cheeky as we only returned from Skiathos yesterday!!) Will keep looking as this info is useful .

famous flamingo island which you can get the renaissance complimentary boat over to from just by Starbucks in the lobby area of the main hotel block (just wander in as if you are staying in the hotel!!).

Can you do this? I would be frightened they would know I'm not staying there and not let me on the boat, or leave me on the island.......

I know exactly what you mean re Margarita Island. Still, it sounds good saying, "I've been to Venezuela".

I want to do 2 weeks Caribbean in Feb/March 2014 - thinking of a Thomson. And as people have said, it's all very easy to do on your own. The only time I'd do a cruise line tour is if we did a jeep style off road safari - which is a great way of seeing an island's interior - as I feel they're more akin with UK H&S. I know we all moan how OTT it can be but think a UK endorsed tour has higher standards on an adrenalin rush outing.

Archived