docking in New York City?

capecodder2

Any of you on 2012 cruises that begin or end in New York City...........do you know where O is coming into/going from in New York City for your cruise? We are booked out of NYC in 2013 and I am aware they won't necessarily be the same, but would be interested to have some idea of the possibilities. O says they don't know yet, which is the answer I expected. Thinking of possible hotel location prior to cruise. Thanks.

Any of you on 2012 cruises that begin or end in New York City...........do you know where O is coming into/going from in New York City for your cruise? We are booked out of NYC in 2013 and I am aware they won't necessarily be the same, but would be interested to have some idea of the possibilities. O says they don't know yet, which is the answer I expected. Thinking of possible hotel location prior to cruise. Thanks.

NY Manhattan cruise terminal

Jancruz1

I wouldn't let dock location for NYC be determining factor in choice of hotel. It will be a cab ride away in any case ... except if it is a NJ dock location.

Since it is not a NJ location it shouldnt be a problem..

Jancruz1

Thanks, all. I wondered if Brooklyn was a possibility in which case we would stay in lower Manhattan. I have no problem with a short cab ride, but would prefer to avoid a very long, expensive one and would like to plan accordingly. My hotel preference would be mid-town so that looks good. I am beyond hefting any suitcase on public transport even though it is not a big one, so I am glad no one suggested that.

A mid-town hotel would be a good choice. Location is good for most sights, stores, etc. and there is a greater number and range of hotel choices in mid-town.

The transportation options in Manhattan are fantastic (from subway to rickshaw!) and because the island is not geographically large (in the way that say, Los Angeles is), you're better off to pick a hotel based on quality and price, rather than location.

Although inexpensive or mid priced hotels do exist in mid town, be very careful about using a booking engine that does not reveal the hotel name up front as some of those "supposed" two and three star properties are real dives.

As a Brooklyn Heights resident who would LOVE to have Oceania use the Brooklyn ports (which it does not), as others have already said -- you can stay just about anywhere and catch a cab to the docks. If you have a reason to want to stay downtown, feel free to do so.

If only O did use the Brooklyn ports, we could walk there ... as long as we haf wheelable luggage!

I will add that this past weekend the West Side Highway was closed to northbound traffic for some construction or the other ... and we wondered how people left the ship! (I think that was the day that NCL's STAR created the wave that rather swamped a sub docked next to the Intrepid.) You could get to the airports without a problem, and to most hotels. But if you lived north of the city it would have been tricky!

That doesn't happen often, just be alert to the possibility!

Mura

Archived