Nursery on the Magic

MariahJ

Does the nursery regularly have Disney characters staying there to play with the kids?

My DD has never been in a group childcare environment. She is 2 and I work from home, and we have a nanny to care for her while I work. The last time I tried to take her to the gym childcare, she clung to my arm and would not let me leave. That was about 6 months ago.

We've been to WDW 4 times and she loves the characters. She runs right up and hugs and kisses them. I'm thinking if the characters are there she might actually let me leave. I just want to be able to work out and possibly have dinner with just DH a couple of nights, about an hour each time, but I don't want to leave her screaming.

I see that I can reserve nursery time in advance. If I reserve it and she refuses to go, will I still be charged?

Mariah,

I was on the Fantasy last week and they had characters in the older kids clubs, but I never saw any in the nursery. My son had the same issue last year with not wanting to stay, but this time around he was great both times we dropped him off. He is almost 2 now. Not sure what they do if you have a reservation and they don't stay there. I would hope they wouldn't charge you for that time. Good luck

We were on the Magic in October with our 2 and 4 year old. My daughter went to the nursery and the staff was amazing. We did see Minnie Mouse and Peter Pan visiting while we were picking her up - so, yes the characters do visit but I'm not sure if they come at specific times or just randomly.

My daughter was hesitant to go at first, but was very happy to be there and we'd stop in and watch through the window (she couldn't see us but we could see her) and she was having a great time. She did quite a few crafts while she was there as well.

We're heading on the Wonder in 3 weeks to Alaska, and I'm hoping that she'll be entertained there again as she'll be a few weeks away from her 3rd birthday and as far as I know, too young to go to the kids clubs.

Enjoy your cruise! :) We booked a few dinners alone last year and enjoyed every minute of it!

Do they also have times set aside when parents can go with the toddlers? I'm thinking if we do that the first couple of days, she might be more comfortable to go there without us towards the end of the cruise.

Do they also have times set aside when parents can go with the toddlers? I'm thinking if we do that the first couple of days, she might be more comfortable to go there without us towards the end of the cruise.

I'm not real sure, since I haven't cruised with a baby, but I believe the nursery (as well as all the kids clubs) have an Open House on embarkation day so you can check them out.

Also, I know the Oceaneers Club/Lab (kids 3-11 or 12) has Open Houses in one location or the other every day. Open House is a time for anyone to try out the kids clubs (regardless of age). I don't know if the nursery has Open House anytime but the first day (if that's right).

I'm not able to get to my past Navigators til Friday, I can check out the nursery/club hours and post what I find.

:)

Yes, the nursery does have 'open house' style activities but they are at set out times (you can look in the navigator) but we aware that you will not be allowed in the nursery with your child if it is not an open house. When we dropped our daughter off, they came into the little reception area to meet/greet us and then took her into the nursery and the same when she was being picked up. We weren't allowed through the little gate - even when she was in the crib sleeping.

We didn't go to the open house activities there so I can't comment on what they do or how it's run.

Hope I was able to help a little bit!

The characters are definitely not there all the time and I'm not even sure if they stop by every day. My daughter turned 3 on our last cruise and absolutely would not stay in the club on her own. I expected this since she also has spent most of the last 3 years with me around so I decided before the cruise that I would not force her to stay. No matter how wonderful the staff, how many activities there are, etc. some kids just will not stay in the clubs. Was it worth upsetting her (and me) for a few hours without her? Not to me. Only you can decide what's right for you if your daughter doesn't want to stay.

Yes, the nursery does have 'open house' style activities but they are at set out times (you can look in the navigator) but we aware that you will not be allowed in the nursery with your child if it is not an open house. When we dropped our daughter off, they came into the little reception area to meet/greet us and then took her into the nursery and the same when she was being picked up. We weren't allowed through the little gate - even when she was in the crib sleeping.

We didn't go to the open house activities there so I can't comment on what they do or how it's run.

Hope I was able to help a little bit!

OK, I just checked out the Navigators from our Dec MR cruise. The nursery didn't have any Open House hours listed. The only Open Houses were in the Oceaneers Club/Lab.

Maybe this is different now?

:)

We sailed the Magic in April 2012 with our almost 2 year old. The nursery only has open house part of the embarkation day. The club & lab alternate having open house each day. Typically the times of open house were during early dinner seating when we were at sea and early in the day when in port.

My daughter loved the open house times at both the lab & the club. The counselors are great and they had toys in both areas that she enjoyed. We didn't use the nursery, but did walk through during open house- it seemed very small to me and we had decided before hand not to use the nursery.

We are sailing again in April 2013 and she will be almost 3, and we don't plan to use the nursery - just take advantage of the open house times.

We did the Dream in May and I know at least one character came by when DS was in nursery. But he was there several times and I think he only saw one character in the nursery.

You don't have to pay for nursery if you do not use it IF you cancel in advance. I can't remember how far. A few hours, I think? If you try and she won't stay, I am pretty sure you will still be charged for the time that you booked right then.

They had open house in the nursery on embarkation day and a few mornings (8 - 9 am, before the nursery opened). More open house sessions in the kids clubs.

Archived