Airport Security machines/X-ray

howardsgal

No it won't set it off. I've been through the airport a few times. and my sister fly's alot and it doesn't set it off. You will have to take off your watch, rings, keys, and mabey your belt and set it in a tray until you go through the detector. When i think of the material in the underwire, it makes me think of a wire clothes hanger. it's not metal (i hope i'm right in saying that and don't sound stupid) I have had the detector go off for a metal barrett in my hair. but all they do when the detector goes off is check your clothes to see if you missed anything metal on you, you'll walk through the detector again, if it still goes off they will just wave thier wand up and down your body to see where the metal is. have fun and don't forget to buy some gum. =)

Huh? I fly several times a year, and I've never been asked to remove my rings or any other jewelry. My keyring is full of keys, and are in my purse, and I've never been asked to remove them either.:rolleyes:

My underwire bra has never set it off, but I've been randomly pulled out of line for the wand inspection several times. My understanding is that Security pulls out questionable people, and they also pull out random people for a search. My husband has never been searched, but I've been pulled out and "wanded" like four times (even though I never sent off an alarm). I did have my carry-on bag searched for half an hour, because I inadvertantly put a wine opener in my carry-on. I was power-packing at the end of the cruise and neglected to put it in my checked bag. My fault, but tied up like half an hour at airport security. Live and learn.

I've never set off the machines with my bra. Even if I had, it would still be worth getting wanded because there is no way I'm going a full day without the added support. I've set of the machines many a time though with my shoes, the buckles on a pair of overalls, my mom set it off one time with her glasses. Best bet wear outer clothing without metal buckles, easy to slide off shoes, and have everything in your carryon instead of in your pockets when you get in line to go through the detector.

My DW's underwire bra set off the alarm at PHL. i think a lot has to do with how the metal detector machine's sensitivity is set. She went through, set off the alarm, went back, took off her watch, barrette, and belt (the only metal she THOUGHT she had) and set it off again. She was then 'Wanded" and it beeped like crazy around her chest. At that point she got a "very thorough" patting down of her chest by a female security person (in full view of anyone walking by). She said it kind of reminded her of a high school date....but she couldn't slap the security guard in the face!

The reason this is such a concern to security is that they believe the Russian flight that was blown up a few years ago was the result of a woman hiding explosives in her bra.

Went through Las Vegas and Houston and the underwire bra set it off. Like others mentioned got wanded and brushed by woman out in the open. :eek: Thought maybe a curtain was called for, but I guess airport security was't set up by a woman. We laughed about it, but never the less it was still embarressing.

But when we are flying to cruise I don't let it get me down. :)

I had mine set if off once in Albuquerque Airport, did get the normal pat down after it did.. Made me want to do a "flash dance" thing and pull it off through my shirt sleeves,:eek: so I could show them the underwire, but I restrained myself, as I was already running late to get to the plane and I would have had to make a stop in the restroom to put my bra back on ;)

I think it has alot to do with the sensitivity of the machines in the airport.

wow im so glad i came across this thread! i had no idea!! i have never had this experience but obviously there is a first time for everything!! i totally would have taken mine off DixieDL! LOL

i dont think i will wear one.. i would just die if that happened to me..

Archived